The Beatles.. The most greatest and most important band of all time, where do Gn'R really stand?

FilterEight

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
What people dont seem to understand its not which band you like the best but the most influential.

Exactly. Just because they're your favoriteband doesn't mean they're more important for the music.

The thread title is the greatest and most important band of all time, which are two very different things. I can safely say GNR is was one of the greatest if not the greatest band of all time. Of course they haven`t influenced many bands, they were the last and IMO the best of its kind.

You said it yourself. Greatest and most important band of all time. Would you suggest that it is two different things then? If so, shouldn't you make two lists? One for greatest, and one for most important? If you think about it, the topic starter meant it as the same thing. Anyhow, GN'R isn't in any way near to be the greatest band of all time just because you think so?

Anyway, I shall take a bus in 10 minutes, and I'll probably be gone all weekend. Have a good weekend. ;)

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl-lol: They aren't important for the music scene today at all. They're definatly not on a top five, I don't even think they're on a top 500 of most important bands for the music.

+1. Maybe 100 or 200 though. There are MANY bands of MANY genres, we're not just talking hard rock. There's so much out there. GNR had 2 proper albums. That's nothing.

beatles suck. overrated. worlds first boy band. get over it

:rofl-lol: Just go.

As for list of say top 20 bands on music (By impact, influence and legacy):

Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Jimi Hendrix Experience

Queen

Aerosmith

U2

Oasis

The Who

Radiohead

The Jam

Sex Pistols

Pink Floyd

Michael Jackson

Prince

The Clash

Def Leppard

REM

Iron Maiden

The Doors

Cream

Chili Peppers

Rage Against The Machine

Janes Addiction

Oasis!?! Seriously?!!! Now I know you're a fan but Oasis were just influenced, I don't think they ever influenced anybody else.... Stone Roses should take there place in your list and Def Leppard just removed.

LP

Oasis!?! Seriously?!!! Now I know you're a fan but Oasis were just influenced, I don't think they ever influenced anybody else.... Stone Roses should take there place in your list and Def Leppard just removed.

LP

Many of today's indie bands have been influenced by Oasis, take Arctic Monkeys for example. Back in '96 they had even spawned a short-lived subgenre of (crappy) lad bands; 'Noelrock' (Northern Uproar, anyone?), though I agree that they should be replaced with the Roses, or the Smiths.

:rofl-lol: They aren't important for the music scene today at all. They're definatly not on a top five, I don't even think they're on a top 500 of most important bands for the music.

+1. Maybe 100 or 200 though. There are MANY bands of MANY genres, we're not just talking hard rock. There's so much out there. GNR had 2 proper albums. That's nothing.

Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Jimi Hendrix Experience

Queen

Aerosmith

U2

Oasis

The Who

Radiohead

The Jam

Sex Pistols

Pink Floyd

Michael Jackson

Prince

The Clash

Def Leppard

REM

Iron Maiden

The Doors

Cream

Chili Peppers

Rage Against The Machine

Janes Addiction

LP

I agree, I forgot about the Roses.

But Oasis have influence 8/10 bands in NME today. Arctic Monkeys, Libertines (And Babyshambles, Dirty Pretty Things), Pigeon Detectives, Bloc Party, Kings Of Leon, Kasabian, The Killers, Jet, Travis...just some of Britain and the World's most freshest, exciting and biggest bands around.

Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Jimi Hendrix Experience

Queen

Aerosmith

U2

Oasis

The Who

Radiohead

The Jam

Sex Pistols

Pink Floyd

Michael Jackson

Prince

The Clash

Def Leppard

REM

Iron Maiden

The Doors

Cream

Chili Peppers

Rage Against The Machine

Janes Addiction

LP

But Oasis have influence 8/10 bands in NME today. Arctic Monkeys, Libertines (And Babyshambles, Dirty Pretty Things), Pigeon Detectives, Bloc Party, Kings Of Leon, Kasabian, The Killers, Jet, Travis...just some of Britain and the World's most freshest, exciting and biggest bands around.

No way Oasis influenced any of those bands you named

Radiohead, Nirvana, James, Joy Division, Stone Roses, The Smiths, MBV and Echo and the Bunnyman had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more impact on todays UK music scene than Oasis.

By the way, Kings of Leon and the Killers are not from the UK. Try the US, buddy.

Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Jimi Hendrix Experience

Queen

Aerosmith

U2

Oasis

The Who

Radiohead

The Jam

Sex Pistols

Pink Floyd

Michael Jackson

Prince

The Clash

Def Leppard

REM

Iron Maiden

The Doors

Cream

Chili Peppers

Rage Against The Machine

Janes Addiction

LP

No way Oasis influenced any of those bands you named

Radiohead, Nirvana, James, Joy Division, Stone Roses, The Smiths, MBV and Echo and the Bunnyman had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more impact on todays UK music scene than Oasis.

By the way, Kings of Leon and the Killers are not from the UK. Try the US, buddy.

Are you serious? Yes I got some of the bands countries mixed up, but all of those bands have stated Oasis' influence. Kasabian are best mates with them, Jet have supported them, Travis love them, KOL have said on many interviews as have Killers, you get the jist.

thats just crazy, of course GN'R are influencial

if it wasnt for them sleaze rock and hair metal would still be big. GN'R are the last great rock back (as of today)

true man so true, guns are the last real great rock band

there has no band come and sweeped the world under them like they did since, besides they came and made great rock when little was going on in rock world besides few guys wanting to be womans (poison and more:P)

thats just crazy, of course GN'R are influencial

if it wasnt for them sleaze rock and hair metal would still be big. GN'R are the last great rock back (as of today)

true man so true, guns are the last real great rock band

there has no band come and sweeped the world under them like they did since, besides they came and made great rock when little was going on in rock world besides few guys wanting to be womans (poison and more:P)

Limp Bizkit.....did.

The Oasis thing is interesting, but a bit offtopic.

Anyway, Oasis was a nineties britpop phenomenom thing, you just went on and claimed that Oasis influenced eighites bands... thats like time travel, man.

I agree that Oasis havent had such a huge impact. Bloc Party, as you mentioned as an example, is way more influenced by Joy Division (New Order), and lets say The Cure, from the eighties, rather than Oasis.

Im not dissing Oasis here though, their early stuff is truly inspirational stuff. First two albums especially.

FOR ALL OF YOU WHO ARE DISSING THE BEATLES you are only proving your own musical ignorance. I am a true GNR fan, like many of you, but they do not hold a candle to The Beatles. If any of you nay-sayers feel like reading anymore of this post before you start calling names, please enjoy...

First Boy Band?

I can see the connection and why that is quick and easy spin for "true rock lovers" but it is simply untrue. The Beatles were not manufactured by a record company or some fat cat with a cigar trying to make a million dollars. They worked hard for what they got, writing their own songs from an early age, taking any gig they could get from church picnics to German bars where they were played from 6-12 hours a night 5 nights a week for months on end. When they were finally signed to EMI they had played some 250 gigs from 1957-1962 on their own merit.

Over-rated?

Really? Do you like music or do you just like to bullshit online? No other band in history (The Stones, Zeppelin, and especially our beloved GNR) worked so hard and evolved so quickly. Within 4 years the band had went from writing 3 minute pop songs to using orchestrations (co-composed by Lennon/McCartney), using the first tape loops and backwards effects on record, exploring album cover art as a medium all its own, and using the album itself as a complete listening experience instead of a record with 14 singles (all that while touring 10 months of the year, numerous TV and radio appearances, AND recording 3 singles per year that were not part of the 1-2 albums per year that they released). Lennon/McCartney are responsible for the greatest songs of our time including: Hey Jude, Yesterday, Revolution, Hello Goodbye, We Can Work It Out, Michelle, Here There & Everywhere, Got To Get You Into My Life, Penny Lane, All You Need Is Love, Blackbird, Come Together, In My Life....etc.

It is agreed by millions of fans, critics, scholars, yours truly, and anyone who has an ear for melody and harmony that The Beatles' music is THE classical music of our time and like Mozart and Beethoven before them, will be around long after our grandchildren's children are dead.

While I understand that many people's definition of what Rock music truly is may be different I think that we can all appreciate what The Beatles accomplished and their legacy.

I am a 20 year GNR fan and have seen them 3 times live, one being the 1st Vegas show 01-01-01, and I live in KY and, at the time, worked a low paying job so I would appreciate a little respect from the forum when I say that no matter what the future of GNR is, their chance of being one of those great, historically important bands died years ago when Axl decided to hide away in a recording studio and take 3 times as long to put and keep together a new GNR as it took to glue together the original band.

True music lovers: Do yourself a favor and buy a Beatles album....maybe REVOLVER, RUBBER SOUL, ABBEY ROAD or THE BEATLES (white album). The Beatles did it all....and they did it all in only 7 years!

..........Peace....

That's your opinion which you are entitled to, I don't like the Beatles that is my opinion.

oh and by the way I like music and I don't bullshit on line.

The Oasis thing is interesting, but a bit offtopic.

Anyway, Oasis was a nineties britpop phenomenom thing, you just went on and claimed that Oasis influenced eighites bands... thats like time travel, man.

I agree that Oasis havent had such a huge impact. Bloc Party, as you mentioned as an example, is way more influenced by Joy Division (New Order), and lets say The Cure, from the eighties, rather than Oasis.

Im not dissing Oasis here though, their early stuff is truly inspirational stuff. First two albums especially.

No that list was a list of bands who have been more important than GNR.

But I understand what you're saying.

Pink Floyd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The beatles

In terms of what, your own personal preference?

I see you don't agree with me? Well, 500 was probably a bit exaggerated. But can you mention one god band that GN'R has influenced? Faster Pussycat? They aren't exactly a great or big band, huh?

is it GN'R's fault that most musician's now adays have no talent? fuck no

You need to open your eyes. Jack White is the most talented musician since Cobain. You've also got bands like Fleet Foxes and Sigur Ròs, with their beautiful vocal harmonies and damn near perfect melodies, you've got excellent rappers who are still going strong - Jay-Z, Nas and so on, and exciting bands like Gogol Bordello who introduce a whole new sound to the mainstream that is really quite impressive, considering all the experimenting and testing out of new stuff that has been going on for the past 45 years.

1. The Beatles

2. The Rolling Stones

3. Bob Dylan

4. Led Zeppelin

5. Black Sabbath

If you rank them by what influence they've had on rock music (you could switch Dylan and the Stones around if you'd like...). It doesn't matter whether you don't like them, we're talking about influence here, right? If you're just going to say what bands you like the most then that's another fuckin' question.

I hope to fuck the Beatles aren't the most important band of all time. They were the New Kids on the Block of their generation until later when they were good. The Stone were the rock people and the Beatles early on were pop. I hate the early Beatles. GNR is like the Stones times ten. They are important in our generation but irrelevant in the history of rock..... Unfortunetly.....Actually they are the 80's.

I hope to fuck the Beatles aren't the most important band of all time. They were the New Kids on the Block of their generation until later when they were good. The Stone were the rock people and the Beatles early on were pop. I hate the early Beatles. GNR is like the Stones times ten. They are important in our generation but irrelevant in the history of rock..... Unfortunetly.....Actually they are the 80's.

What about the cover of "Twist and Shout" on their debut album, Please Please Me? That's pretty rock 'n' roll to me. Early on, The Beatles had that little clever extra in their lyrics that bands like Herman's Hermits could not copy. During the first five years in the mainstream, they also showed an incredibly unique sense of evolution and maturity in their music and lyrics. In 1963 you listened to "Love Me Do", and five years later, you were listening to "Helter Skelter" with The White Album in your hands. Isn't that just incredible?

At the LEAST, Sabbath should be at number two.

Don't be such a fanboy now. Just because they are your favourite band and you love them, doesn't mean they are the most important and influential band of all time. Sabbath are great, I love them myself, but they didn't really influence anything else than metal, and perhaps a little guitar rock. Top 15 I'd say.

1. The Beatles

2. The Rolling Stones

3. Bob Dylan

4. Led Zeppelin

5. Black Sabbath

If you rank them by what influence they've had on rock music (you could switch Dylan and the Stones around if you'd like...). It doesn't matter whether you don't like them, we're talking about influence here, right? If you're just going to say what bands you like the most then that's another fuckin' question.

OK list, but you're forgetting Elvis, Chuck Berry and Johnny Cash, as well as lesser knowns acts like The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart.

Edited by Lithium