What did Nirvana Really Offer/Achieve

Vincent Vega

Hi

I've heard a lot of people say that Nirvana's biggest achievement was that they reinvented Rock N' Roll, that they offered something totally new, that they changed music, etc. Some of the most common things I've heard people say they were the first to introduce the following to Rock N' Roll:

Abstract Lyrics/Mixed Rock with Pop Sensibilities

A Raw, stripped down Rock sound

Jaded, Disaffected themes

But let's look at those three to start with.

Introducing Abstract Lyrics and melodies, and mixing Rock with pop-- I think the Beatles did that long before Nirvana.

A Raw, stripped down Rock sound- Most Rock Bands had a Raw, Stripped sound. Take Aerosmith and The Stones, for example.

Jaded, Disaffected themes- 1970s Punk anyone?

I think Nirvana's biggest achievement was taking indie music and the indie (or ''Grunge'' as the media called it) lifestyle and mindset and giving it commercial and mainstream exposure, introducing people to a mindset and music style they might not have heard of otherwise. Really, a lot of the themes Nirvana had in their songs, and their way of presenting it, had been done before (Even bands like the Sex Pistols had mixed Punk with Pop; a lot of their songs have a poppy edge); but by artists either long dead (ans so Gen X didn't really connect with them) or artists that had never gained mainstream success. Nirvana took what was an underground scene and opened up to new people, and since the mainstream didn't know about a lot of the underground punk/indie/''grunge'' bands, it seemed new and so many thought Nirvana was creating something totally new. Add that to the media proclaiming there to be a ''grunge movement'' and touching on the issues that Gen X was suffering through in the 90s, and commercializing it "Buy grungewear" "Say Grunge words", etc. and proclaiming Kurt to be the ''voice of a generation.'' I think Nirvana's biggest achievement was that they cleared the path for a lot of better bands to be successful.

I've heard a lot of people say that Nirvana's biggest achievement was that they reinvented Rock N' Roll, that they offered something totally new, that they changed music, etc. Some of the most common things I've heard people say they were the first to introduce the following to Rock N' Roll:

Abstract Lyrics/Mixed Rock with Pop Sensibilities

A Raw, stripped down Rock sound

Jaded, Disaffected themes

Nirvana didn't introduce any of those. Nirvana didn't really introduce anything 'new' in that sense of the word - they were just the perfect cross between punk and pop. They were pop enough to be liked by the mainstream and alternative enough to be liked by the underground audience, and by releasing Nevermind, they broadened the mainstream's horizon enough to welcome different types of alternative music.

Edited by Lithium

But other bands, such as the Beatles, Sex Pistols etc had mixed Rock and Pop. A lot of the Sex Pistols songs imo have very pop-esque, catchy melodies and presentation, similar to Nirvana's songs.

How so? I don't know any Sex Pistols songs that went to the length of, say, "Lounge Act".

I think Nirvana's biggest achievement was taking indie music and the indie (or ''Grunge'' as the media called it) lifestyle and mindset and giving it commercial and mainstream exposure, introducing people to a mindset and music style they might not have heard of otherwise.

....and, whats wrong with that?

it's just Nirvana is treated like it's one of the greatest bands of all time when really it wasn't.

So are Gn'R, but what did they REALLY do? If you were to make a thread like this on Guns N' Roses, it'd be a pretty big stuggle to pin down them actually doing something to contribute to modern music.

Nada.

That's right. They didn't offer/acheive anything, nothing at all. Who are Nirvana really? :huh:

I didn't say anything is wrong with it, it's just Nirvana is treated like it's one of the greatest bands of all time when really it wasn't.

Actually, they are one of the greatest bands of all time in the sense of influence and lyrics, as well as the pop/punk originality aforementioned.

Edited by Lithium

They offered and achieved a lot, that's what. The truth is they made damn good music, timeless music, some of the best in modern popular music. I think that's all a band really needs to be truly considered legendary. Nirvana is certainly legendary. Music critics and fans agree on that point. Sure there are haters, but that goes without saying. It's the same with every band considered legendary, there will always be people against their status.