Audioslave

Vincent Vega

When Audioslave was good they were pretty far up there, man. They had their share of misfires, though -- a lot of it due to Tom Morello's solos that, at times, verged on self-parody :). Chris Cornell's latest venture is a tragedy.

What's wrong with QOTSA? I like a lot of their stuff.

Edited by Ant

Audioslave's debut album easily one of the best rock albums this decade. Stellar throughout.

Combining Cornell with Rage, that album was about the best the band could do. The other 2 albums, particularly Revelations, had some nice high points, but don't compare.

Still, with original RATM now saying they plan no future recording...and judging CC's solo career, who the hell wouldn't love to have AS back together at this point?

Audioslave's first album was really great. I liked the second one too, but it had more fluff than the first. Be Yourself was an awesome track though. I'm not a fan of the 3rd. Morello's solos can be really annoying sometimes (Original Fire to name one...)

I'm not a RATM fan so I actually prefer Audioslave to them. I've seen Cornell twice, once with Audioslave and once solo. Both great shows. The solo show was right after AS broke up, so it didn't have any of the new pop crap. He was promoting Carry On.

1st album - Incredible - Ballads plus some cool rockers

2nd album - had a kind of retro-rock sound, that I liked at first, but grew real tired of

3rd album - Moth, Sound of a gun, Shape of things to come, some real good tracks

Overall - I'd give that band a 7.5 for time together.....but I think it'd be best if they didn't reform and went their seperate ways for good

"I Am The Highway" an amazing track. The live version great, too, with CC starting off acoustic and the rest of the boys comin' in half way. "Like a Stone" another gem with this and IATHW having 2 of Morello's better solos.

The lyrics, moody rage and vocals to "What You Are" kick all sorts of ass with Cornell coming off his bitter divorce and lettin' it fly. Says he was fucked out of his mind on drugs and barely functional when making this record. Which is why it's so good of course.

"Show Me How to Live" another fav.

The first 8 tracks so good when listening it has the feel of a 'Best Of' album:

1. Cochise

2. Show Me How To Live

3. Gasoline

4. What You Are

5. Like A Stone

6. Set It Off

7. Shadow On The Sun

8. I Am The Highway

I felt the same way about AS as VR. Nothin' is gonna touch Soundgarden and GNR, but if these guys had to have a 2nd act, AS and VR were gonna be about as good as it gets(at least for us)...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Show Me How to Live is worth it just for the way Cornell wails that "nail in my hand" line. Fuckin' hell.

Plus he takes his shirt off in the music video.

I won't even lie, that's how I got interested in Audioslave in the first place. I was thirteen or fourteen then though, so that's my excuse.

The first album is definitely the best, but I haven't listened to Revelations and Out Of Exile as whole albums in the longest time so I can't judge how I like them right now but I'll do that soon. One of my favorite bands to come out of this decade, I Am The Highway will always remain one of my favorite songs of all time.

They never did a whole lot for me, but they had some good riffs. Their problem was that a lot of the stuff sounded repetitive, but RATM suffered the same fault. It's Morello's distinct style - it makes a lot of his guitar work sound recycled, even though it really isn't. RATM was way better than Audioslave, but Wide Awake is one of the best rock songs in recent memory, in both lyrics and songwriting. The scream Cornell gives towards the end is spine-tingling.

Audioslave were OK. Morello kinda ruined some songs, Original Fire in particular, but overall they were enjoyable. I still listen to a lot of the first album as well as a small live thing Chris did by himself after Revelations was released where he played some of his solo stuff, some Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden as well as Audioslave.

Still, with original RATM now saying they plan no future recording...and judging CC's solo career, who the hell wouldn't love to have AS back together at this point?

+1

I onlt realised that the other 3 in Rage were the same other 3 in AS the other week :lol: I just thought it was Cornell and a bunch of new session guys, that happened to be fecking excellent.

But yeah, they were very good in their time. Cochise has to be one of the songs of the decade.