Queen vs U2

Duffan

head to head  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hollywood Gunner... Every U2 song sounds the same? U2 has reinvented themself so many times that it's not funny... listen to "The Joshua Tree", then try "Achtung Baby" on for size, then try "Pop", and then try "All That You Can't Leave Behind"... doesn't even sound like the same band when you compare any of them. Queen brought about the theatre that was to become much of what music was about in the 70s & 80s, I'll give them that. However, for sheer artistry, and international appeal, U2 simply wins hands down. They are timeless and they speak to EVERYONE. Seriously, "Another One Bites The Dust"? "We Will Rock You"? "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"? I dunno', I guess "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "We Are The Champions" mattered... but I can't see much else that has to do with anything. "Under Pressure"? Geesh. I remember purchasing Queen's 2 disc greatest hits, and then realized that they could only fill up 1/2 of 1 cd that I wanted to listen to, that anyone I knew wanted to listen to for that matter. "Flash Gordon"? Fuck no. U2 evokes something from everyone in the world, and they're still going. I will admit though, U2 is probably my fav band EVER, so this might be a bit biased. :ph34r:

Hollywood Gunner... Every U2 song sounds the same? U2 has reinvented themself so many times that it's not funny... listen to "The Joshua Tree", then try "Achtung Baby" on for size, then try "Pop", and then try "All That You Can't Leave Behind"... doesn't even sound like the same band when you compare any of them. Queen brought about the theatre that was to become much of what music was about in the 70s & 80s, I'll give them that. However, for sheer artistry, and international appeal, U2 simply wins hands down. They are timeless and they speak to EVERYONE. Seriously, "Another One Bites The Dust"? "We Will Rock You"? "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"? I dunno', I guess "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "We Are The Champions" mattered... but I can't see much else that has to do with anything. "Under Pressure"? Geesh. I remember purchasing Queen's 2 disc greatest hits, and then realized that they could only fill up 1/2 of 1 cd that I wanted to listen to, that anyone I knew wanted to listen to for that matter. "Flash Gordon"? Fuck no. U2 evokes something from everyone in the world, and they're still going. I will admit though, U2 is probably my fav band EVER, so this might be a bit biased. :ph34r:

Too bad only 6 of you feel this way. What I mean when I say that their stuff all sounds the same is that U2 doesn't have, in general, any punk stuff, they don't have any fast paced riffs or music, and they don't do any hard rockin' stuff either....it's all the same paced style of music, that very produced ballad type soft pop rock that, as you said, appeals to everybody. And I don't like that, I don't like bands that shoot to please everybody, that go for that top 10 radio thing. Now I didn't say U2 weren't any good, they are amazing at what they do, but I simply don't like it. One of the reasons I loved GNR is cause many people hated them, they were the bad boys of Rock n Roll and mainstream media loved to point how irresponsible and decadent they were. They didn't give a shit what anybody though and just did their own thing.

Too bad only 6 of you feel this way. What I mean when I say that their stuff all sounds the same is that U2 doesn't have, in general, any punk stuff, they don't have any fast paced riffs or music, and they don't do any hard rockin' stuff either....it's all the same paced style of music, that very produced ballad type soft pop rock that, as you said, appeals to everybody. And I don't like that, I don't like bands that shoot to please everybody, that go for that top 10 radio thing. Now I didn't say U2 weren't any good, they are amazing at what they do, but I simply don't like it. One of the reasons I loved GNR is cause many people hated them, they were the bad boys of Rock n Roll and mainstream media loved to point how irresponsible and decadent they were. They didn't give a shit what anybody though and just did their own thing.

I think it's a bit unfair to accuse U2 of trying to "please" everybody.

I don't think that they have built their career around writing songs that are guaranteed to land a top 10 chart position. They have always had the same style of music; it's not like they used to be spiky haired punks who were getting nowhere commercially, and thus decided to become radio friendly overnight... they have always been the same, it just happens that their style appeals to the masses.

It's like when people for instance accuse Bon Jovi of being sell-outs because they are a commercially-orientated band - they, like U2, have always produced the same sort of radio-friendly material that appeals to the masses. I would define a sell out an artist who abandons their initial opinions, attitudes, beliefs and inspirations in an attempt to garner more widespread, commercial success. Or something like that... :book:

Point well taken Gunner... and I think many like/liked G'N'R for the same reason as you. They were very anti-hair metal, even though many lump them in with that group, and anti-establishment. I'm not so sure that I'd sum U2 up as writing stuff that aims for the top 10, I just think that their music is constantly so different than everyone else's, yet it's melodic, which is pleasing to many. Early U2 ("Boy", "War", etc...) had a more uptempo and rocking sound, and their release, to be due out later this year, is supposed to be in the same vein. I'm anxious to hear it. The other thing is this, as far as the, only 6 of us feel this way, thing. You probably couldn't find a more anti-U2 board as G'N'R's. Take this argument to the Radiohead board, for example, and it's probably completely the other way around. Again, no offense, as it's all just opinion anyway.

• 1 year later...
Hmmmm.. Queen is an Epic band but really they are nothing compared to U2. Sure they both have great and timeless songs, but U2's classics far out way Queen's. No disrespect to Queen but they are simnply not in the same class as U2.  When all is said and done I believe U2 will be up there with The Stones and The Beatles(maybe I'm a little optimistic) and Queen will run with the likes of Sabbath and Zepplin. No shame in that just not in the same realm that's all. U2 are like Kings of the music world, where as Queen are like the knights. That's my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I respect your opinion, but I don't think any of U2's songs will ever be considered more 'classic' than say 'We Will Rock You', 'We Are The Champions', or 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. Those are songs that everyone knows, whether they like rock music or not. I doubt that a general person can name more than a couple of U2 songs if they aren't overly familiar with rock n' roll music. I'm not saying U2 is worse (in my opinion they are, but it's still just an opinion), but they probably will never be regarded as highly as Queen is.

Ok i don't want to put u2 down because they are a great band, but i am shocked, SHOCKED!! that this many people have picked them over queen, SHOCKED!!!

:shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be. Half of the people that voted for U2 probably don't have a clue who Queen is. They probably just know that U2 came out with a pretty popular album recently, and that's good enough to give them a vote. Same thing probably goes for some people who voted for Queen. I think it would be nice if people actually took the time to actually know what they were talking about before voting in a poll. This thread I don't have much of a problem with, because most of the opinions in this one are backed up well enough, but some of the polls here have stupid results because the voters just vote for what sounds cooler to them.

Ok i don't want to put u2 down because they are a great band, but i am shocked, SHOCKED!! that this many people have picked them over queen, SHOCKED!!!

:shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be. Half of the people that voted for U2 probably don't have a clue who Queen is. They probably just know that U2 came out with a pretty popular album recently, and that's good enough to give them a vote. Same thing probably goes for some people who voted for Queen. I think it would be nice if people actually took the time to actually know what they were talking about before voting in a poll. This thread I don't have much of a problem with, because most of the opinions in this one are backed up well enough, but some of the polls here have stupid results because the voters just vote for what sounds cooler to them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wel tht is not me