At The Gates

bt88

Any fans here?

I just started listening to some In Flames (Jester race) and realized that they pretty much are just trying to be At The Gates. I have Slaughter of the Soul by ATG but I read somewhere that their earlier work was a little more technical. Is that so? Whats a good album to pick up?

Any fans here?

I just started listening to some In Flames (Jester race) and realized that they pretty much are just trying to be At The Gates. I have Slaughter of the Soul by ATG but I read somewhere that their earlier work was a little more technical. Is that so? Whats a good album to pick up?

Not listened to much At The Gates, The Jester Race is one of my favourite albums ever, it's the perfect metal album, so if ATG sound anything like it they must be good.

Any fans here?

Not listened to much At The Gates, The Jester Race is one of my favourite albums ever, it's the perfect metal album, so if ATG sound anything like it they must be good.

ATG came before In Flames.

Also since youre an In Flames fan, what other albums focus on the more melodic, emotional guitar solos like Jester Race. I know Colony kinda does and I just ordered Whoracle. Any other good ones? I know theyve gotten kinda lame with the new stuff

Any fans here?

ATG came before In Flames.

Also since youre an In Flames fan, what other albums focus on the more melodic, emotional guitar solos like Jester Race. I know Colony kinda does and I just ordered Whoracle. Any other good ones? I know theyve gotten kinda lame with the new stuff

Clayman's the most emotional and melodic of their albums, some truly beautiful music on there. Whoracle has some amazing tracks on it, The Hive (awesome neoclassical guitar solo) Jester Script Transfigured (stunning acoustic work) World Within The Margins, Episode 666 but the finest track on there's the best one they've ever done, the opener Jotun.

Their later stuff has some brilliant tracks too, Metaphor, My Sweet Shadow, Evil In A Closet. Cloud Connected, Come Clarity are all brilliant, the best of their new material is a track called Crawl Through Knives off Come Clarity, ranks way up there among the best of all their tracks in song quality,

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

We've got many better. Dissection comes to my mind.

EDIT: When I do think about it, maybe they are Black Metal. Nevertheless, I don't hear any difference between those genres.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Slaughter of the Soul is definitely their most accessible work. It's almost like a rock record in its structure. Go with Terminal Spirit Disease next, as it's sort of a transitional record from their old, more technical works to Slaughter. TSD also contains a few early live tracks, so you'll get a sense of the material which appeared on the first 2 records. If you're into that, try the debut, The Red in the Sky is Ours, which is pretty much excellent traditional Swedish death. The follow-up, With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness, is probably their most adventurous and bizarre record, and can take a little warming up to.