The reason Guns N' Roses will always be more popular then Metallica is....

Sprite

They have cross-over appeal. I don't care if Metallica has sold more records, mostly due to the fact they have released twice as many albums and been around 5 years longer, but Guns N' Roses will always have more fans. In order to like Metallica, you have to enjoy their type of music, if you don't, you won't like them. With Guns, they offer a wide variety. You can always find someone who likes at least one GNR song, you can't do that with Metallica.

Of course this is all opinion, it just seems like this here in Seattle. Guns N' Roses are a lot more popular over here then Metallica.

I disagree. I see where you're going with that, and their 80s albums make that kind of statement believable. That's what I like about Metallica's 'Load' era. Many metal fans don't like it, but I've seen a lot of people get on board with songs like Hero of the Day and Bleeding Me who would never touch Master of Puppets or Blackened.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Sorry buddy, you're wrong; GNR are not as popular as Metallica these days. The fact that GNR have more "hits" than Metallica means nothing because Metallica have lasted the distance and are still selling out wherever they play. They are the biggest metal band in the world.

Edited by FunkyMonk

GNR has always had more radio appeal anyway as it aint as heavy - its easier to commodify the GNR tracks than it is Metallica ones, certainly back then anyway, to a lesser degree now. Metallica isnt full of big sing along choruses and appealing blues lines. its just metal.

but fuck do they do it well, theyre still selling out stadiums the world over and are probably the biggest American metal band the world has ever had

Edited by Big Boy Sixxx

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Sorry buddy, you're wrong; GNR are not as popular as Metallica these days. The fact that GNR have more "hits" than Metallica means nothing because Metallica have lasted the distance and are still selling out wherever they play. They are the biggest metal band in the world.

Yeah, Cool.

Good thing Guns N' Roses aren't a metal band. Axl Rose said it himself. It goes back to what I said, Guns N' Roses have more recognizable songs by people who aren't even fans, therefore, making them more popular.

As a GN'R fan and general non-fan of Metallica, even if I wouldn't hesitate to name Metallica as the (far) more popular band. Maybe the competition would have been close in '92. But GN'R's withdrawal from pop culture has rendered them, er, irrelevant to a large degree. Metallica has continued to grow in pop culture stature since the early '90s, turning into icons - and not Tragic Icons like GN'R, seen as burning out on excess, but hanging in, through the good (Black Album) and bad (St Anger and its documentary film exposing them as whiny brats).

If GN'R had kept active in the public eye, touring and releasing albums, then yeah, maybe it'd be closer. But I think the very fact that Metallica was THE band to open doors to heavy metal in mainstream music makes them more significant. GN'R were, for my money, a better band with a better album, but their impact wasn't as significant; they were revivalists, not pioneers.

Edited by Estranged Reality

They have cross-over appeal. I don't care if Metallica has sold more records, mostly due to the fact they have released twice as many albums and been around 5 years longer, but Guns N' Roses will always have more fans. In order to like Metallica, you have to enjoy their type of music, if you don't, you won't like them. With Guns, they offer a wide variety. You can always find someone who likes at least one GNR song, you can't do that with Metallica.

Of course this is all opinion, it just seems like this here in Seattle. Guns N' Roses are a lot more popular over here then Metallica.

When gnr were together they were the bigger and more popular band. If GNR had of kept going thered be no question as to whod be more popular. Sadly gnr fucked it all up though. I think if the original band got back together, they could maybe become more popular than metallica again. Who knows?

Metallica released their best album without Cliff (Justice) ;).

Although it would've been a whole lot better with Cliff of course.

I'll take that back, i actually do like justice, but with that album i feel that they could have shortened a few of the songs, and thats where i feel Burton's style and music direction would have swayed them in a different way.