Is Rock N Roll Making a Comback?

mrtibbs

Is Rock N Roll Making a Comback?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At least that is what i'm hoping. I'm so sick of R.Kelly and Nelly and all these musically challenged ghetto rappers who think it's the flyest thing in the world to put "Lil" in the front of their names.

I agree. But rap, hip-hop is here to stay, and only getting bigger.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mainsteam rock is not real rock

I didn't really understand your post too much so I don't really know what kind of point you were making. But old rock that people praise was mainstream. Led Zeppelin is and was as mainstream as any rock band is today. Same for Guns N' Roses, Queen, whatever.

Led Zeppelin was anything but mainstream.

People forget than Led Zeppelin were not the biggest thing around in the 70's, disco and pop was.

Led Zeppelin was not the charts.

Led Zeppelin got such a huge following because of their music and their live shows.

Guns N' Roses and Queen are different, they are pop bands.

Rock became pop in the 80's, rock was mainstream then. MTV made it so. Rock became a corporate buiness.

Now that rock has become less popular it has gone back to the pubs and small clubs, this is where rela rock is, music that is underground.

Not true. Zeppelins albums in the mid and late 70's always came in at number one on the US and UK charts. In fact after the release of Physical Graffitti the first 6 albums by the mighty Zep were all on the top 200 seller list. That had never been acomplished before. Oh and GnR are anything but a pop band---

Walk into a store. You will see Led Zeppelin posters, hats, shirt, etc... everywhere. They released singles. Who cares if they wanted to? They did! Nothing wrong with being "mainstream" at all. I don't even a clue why people bring it up and make a big deal out of it. It's the worst way to judge anything.

Also, "Painkiller3342O5", cut the holier-than-thou pissy attitude out. There is no reason to put somebody down with petty insults like you did because they said something about Led Zeppelin releasing singles of all things. I'd hate to see how mad you would get if you actually arguing about something that mattered at all. And don't respond to this post by calling me a "cunt ass" or some stupid insult like that. Explain yourself if you want anyone in life to ever take you seriously.

Ok i know theres nothing wrong with Mainstream, im a big fan of some fine Pop artists, Jackson is one. But Led Zeppelin were not a Mainstream band in the 70's. You have to understand mate that Rock was not in the mainstreamin the 70's. Sure Led Zeppelin were huge, they had a massive cult following. Your missing my point though rock was not mainstream in the 70's :)

What is mainstream then?

Good question dear sir :lol:

It's like what is the meaning of life, after all everything is subjective is it not.

Anyway, my understanding of mainstream is the genre which gets the most radio play, gets the most media coverage, and embraces the "pop culture" at the time.

For example, Rap and Hip Hop is the mainstream at the moment. Hip Hop songs are used in TV ads, and everywhere.

Surely you agree though, Rock was more "mainstream" and "commerical" in the 80's than it was in the 70's.

I think thios arguement has really peetered out.

Rock was pretty mainstream in the '70s. It dominated before disco came around later in the decade. I don't see what it matters, though, really. The term doesn't even make sense to me. All I know is that Led Zeppelin was a popular band that received a lot of attention in the '70s.

but was their success due to their overbloated commercialization (such as nowadays...greenday with hundreds of interviews and videos streaming into the minds of people in hundreds countries)? i tend to disagree...i mean...they did have 10 singles throughout their eleven years of buissness...and i've found perhaps a dozen interviews...sure they had t-shirts and shit like that but i don't know if it contributed to their popularity as much as their live shows...i guess it doesn't really matter though...they were popular and therefore could not contribute anything worthy of musical value then :rolleyes:

i'm not puting down greenday in any way...they were just the first band that came to mind

If this makes any sense, it seems rock n' roll is making a comeback in clothing. Their are so many vintage rock tees out in stores right now and cowboy boots are all over the fucking mall and i've just noticed a bunch of other little trends re-appearing from the 80's RNR wise.

It's a shame 95% of them are black. I might wear more if they weren't.

If this makes any sense, it seems rock n' roll is making a comeback in clothing. Their are so many vintage rock tees out in stores right now and cowboy boots are all over the fucking mall and i've just noticed a bunch of other little trends re-appearing from the 80's RNR wise.

So true mate, i havew a few band shirts and all are black, i dont want to get anymore in black

I saw a Jimi HJendrisx shirt in white i wuillget hat nextr.

So drunk atm.

Rock was pretty mainstream in the '70s. It dominated before disco came around later in the decade. I don't see what it matters, though, really. The term doesn't even make sense to me. All I know is that Led Zeppelin was a popular band that received a lot of attention in the '70s.

I wouldn't say rock was mainstream throughout the whole '70s decade. I think from '75 and into the '80s rock received much more attention.

I wouldn't say rock was mainstream throughout the whole '70s decade. I think from '75 and into the '80s rock received much more attention.

Rock was mainstream in the '60s. Remember The Beatles? Remember Elvis Presley? I don't know what mainstream is exactly, but they are as out there and available for the public as anything.

[

For example, Rap and Hip Hop is the mainstream at the moment. Hip Hop songs are used in TV ads, and everywhere.

Surely you agree though, Rock was more "mainstream" and "commerical" in the 80's than it was in the 70's

I hear more rock on adverts than I do rap and hip hop.

But your second point is correct.

Mainsteam rock is not real rock

I didn't really understand your post too much so I don't really know what kind of point you were making. But old rock that people praise was mainstream. Led Zeppelin is and was as mainstream as any rock band is today. Same for Guns N' Roses, Queen, whatever.

Led Zeppelin was anything but mainstream.

People forget than Led Zeppelin were not the biggest thing around in the 70's, disco and pop was.

Led Zeppelin was not the charts.

cept when the company forced them to release a single...and then it goes and shoots up to #5 on the pop charts :fuckyou:

dude, Stairway was not a single. Led Zep even stated that it wasn't a single. The only way a song can be a single,is is the band says its a single.So i suggest you take your finger and shove it up your ass, then pull it out when you KNOW about something, instead of blurting out shit.

PCE

WTF he never said anything about Stairway being a single.

Most people assume that stairway is a single. So i pulled a bit of a hypocrite and assumed that he assumed that stairway was a single.

Also as a side note, LedZep didnt believe in having single songs.

PCE

Dude, he is obviously a fan, so he knows wtf he is talking about. And if Led Zeppelin say "Whole Lotta Love wasn't a single!" it doesn't convert it a non-single, it still is a single because it was released as a single and sold as a single and got to #5 in the SINGLES chart.

Anyway ... It doesn't matter if something is commercial as long as it is good!

Yamisonic with the truth, logic, and common sense.

No because Rock N' Roll is about the kick ass hard beating drums, the guitar solos, the screeching vocals, the alcohol & drug controversy and the bad boy image. There are no signs of any of this coming back which makes me sad

None of that sounds appealing at all, really.

No because Rock N' Roll is about the kick ass hard beating drums, the guitar solos, the screeching vocals, the alcohol & drug controversy and the bad boy image. There are no signs of any of this coming back which makes me sad

Well horses for courses i guess but that's what Rock N' Roll is to me

Haha that's actually exactly what I want. That's ROCK N ROLL.

So true mate, i havew a few band shirts and all are black, i dont want to get anymore in black

Yeah I don't like all the black either. Clothing companies are mixing up vintage rock with goth/punk in my opinion and it kindof sucks. Like black shirts with hot pink guitars.... :no::no:

That's because you like idiot hair metal.

WTF!!

Seriously dude, Rock N' Roll is about the music.

It's about STICKING IT TO THE MAN!! (sorry to quote school of rock :lol: ) but it's true.

Rock is meant to be inventive, creative, and above all have a message.

The bands with really define Rock for me are Deep Purple, CCR, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, The Who and Cream.

And Rock in it's true sense died in 1980. Rock had stop progressing by then, it stopped being rebellious, and most of all it conformed.

I fail to ever see a true Rock band in the 80's. Metal bands were more "Rock" than what was labelled as "rock." Metallica and Megadeth were bands that kept that spirit and didn't give a fuck about image, they just belted out good music that had a message.