AC/DC to receive parliamentary seal

Marky

Rock legends AC/DC are to be paid a glowing tribute in Holyrood, Scotland's Parliament, in recognition of their Scottish roots.

South of Scotland MSP Christine Grahame has lodged a parliamentary motion calling for the achievements of the group to be acknowledged.

The motion - entitled AC/DC, We Salute You - calls on Holyrood to recognise the band's Scottish roots; note that their popularity continues to grow and welcome their forthcoming performance in Scotland; and to acknowledge the musical inspiration the band has provided to thousands of Scottish musicians.

"It is clear [late frontman Bon] Scott had a strong sense of his identity, from the 'Scotland forever' tattoo he had on his arm to his playing the bagpipes on the AC/DC track 'It's a Long Way To the Top'.

"I think they have long deserved official recognition from their homeland for that major musical contribution and my parliamentary motion will go some way towards recognising that."

Founding members Angus and Malcolm Young were born in Glasgow before the family moved to Australia in 1963. Former frontman Bon Scott was born in Kirriemuir, where there is a memorial plaque in his honour. He died of alcohol poisoning in 1980, aged 33.

AC/DC formed in 1973 and have sold more than 150 million records worldwide. Their new album 'Black Ice' topped the UK chart. The band play a stadium tour next summer.

http://www.nme.com/news/acdc/41787

This is precisely why they'd collapse about three weeks after becoming independent.

What a bunch of fucking idiots.

Shut the fuck up! I'm not a big advocate of the whole independence thing, but giving an accolade to one of the world's most successful bands because we're proud they have roots in this country means that we'd collapse as a nation after three weeks!? Where's the logic in that?

Edited by Graeme

It's just pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

Why the fuck should the Scottish Parliament degrade themselves by doing such a thing?

I mean at least when the Commons paid tribute to Bill Hicks for being a modern philosopher, well... there was some bizarre logic behind the whole thing.

But AC/DC?

C'mon, grow up.

It's just pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

Why the fuck should the Scottish Parliament degrade themselves by doing such a thing?

I mean at least when the Commons paid tribute to Bill Hicks for being a modern philosopher, well... there was some bizarre logic behind the whole thing.

But AC/DC?

C'mon, grow up.

So, is the Australian nation going to collapse for naming a street AC/DC lane? How about knighting Mick Jagger? Is that going to bring Britain to its knees? Giving accolades to rock stars is really that pathetic? I thought it was just recognising people who did well, it's nt like they're actually being incorporated into any political debate.