Rap as a Genre

kevin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rap is pretty good. Im new to the genre so give me some recomendations. I have Jay-Z's first and will probably get Eminems Marshall mathers LP. Nas- Illmatic is also on my list.

What else you got for me?

My favourite's still Nas' Illmatic. Get that album if you really want something fun and catchy but with some depth to it.

Stacks probably has a better grasp on good rap nowadays, but there are mandatory oldies like NWA, Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Notorious B.I.G., 2Pac, Dre, Ice Cube, the list goes on.

BTW, I love this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr0XEcUmD4s

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

While on the subject of Gnarls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8R42ZU10Ko

One of the most moving performances I've heard... the original song is great as well but they really knocked it out of the ballpark here.

Might like this if you're into Jay-Z and enjoy rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXLp2z6xL4

Oh come on, the original is way better. I like Gnarls Barkley and i think that cover was really good (I've seen it before now), but Radiohead's original & live performances are definitely better.

Where did I say it was better?

Misunderstood, when you said "they really knocked it out of the ballpark" i thought you were saying that Gnarls outdid Radiohead. My bad. I do agree that it's a good cover.

• 1 month later...
Irrelevant anyway since the best rap album pales in comparison to the better rock albums like A Night at the Opera, Zep 4, AFD, Rocks, Toys in the Attic, everything Beatles etc...

Start with this.

Of course The Beatles are better. Zeppelin isn't altogether my thing but yeah, it's better than most rap albums. It's also better than most rock albums.

Songs like

are just as meaningful to me as great rock songs. I'm not saying one genre's better than the other. They both have great artists, and they both have shitty artists. Stuff like DJ Shadow's Endtroducing (btw, check the average user rating!) or J Dilla's Donuts are more creative than a lot of music, period, let alone rap.

i HATE rap...

i really really hate it... i think its poop.gif

it gets on my nerves, i want music that rocks...

i did try to listen to it, many friends like rap, i even bought a cd with several artists, i gave it away to someone else as bday pressie...

Do you limit yourself to just "woo-hoo! rock n roll! party!"?

I followed Rap much closer back in my high school days when I was exposed to it more often. My biggest issue with most rappers is the emphisis they put on pretentious luxuries and women on demand, gimme a fucking break. At this point in rap, dangling a platinum chain and pulling out your money clip is as played out as it gets.

DMX was always my favorite rapper, first because he struck me as real and not a product of some commercialization and second because his tunes were rawer then the dime a dozen playboys who've jumped on the gravy train. I can honestly say that when his albums started to go to shit, I gave up on rap.

Edited by appetite4illusions

Anyone here like k-os? The people who think rap is all about money and bitches should check out his album Joyful Rebellion.

From Wiki: 'The lyrics frequently focus on promoting a "positive message" while at times expressing criticism of mainstream hip hop culture's obsession with money, fame and glorification of violence.'

This is one of my favourite songs of his.

Edited by Black Monk Time

i HATE rap...

i really really hate it... i think its poop.gif

it gets on my nerves, i want music that rocks...

i did try to listen to it, many friends like rap, i even bought a cd with several artists, i gave it away to someone else as bday pressie...

Do you limit yourself to just "woo-hoo! rock n roll! party!"?

yes i do, its not like i havent tried to listen to trance, rap, country, jazz, classic, reggae etc... all the other genres dont appeal to me, i cant help it, i wont force myself to like it.. i like rock tho, ( metal, grunge, punk, indie etc, thats still very different from eachother )