Best ''Grunge'' Band?

Memnoch The Devil

What do you personally think, of all the bands labelled ''grunge'' (rightfully or wrongfully so**) is the best?

I personally pick Alice in Chains, with Pearl Jam at a close second.

**= Because I think the Grunge label was thrown around way too easily and not only that but I really don't see bands labelled as ''grunge'' as all that different from the harder side of Zeppelin.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love AIC, but I'd have to say Nirvana is my favorite "grunge" band. Cobain was a fucking genius.

He was great, but my main problem with Nirvana is that a lot of their songs sound too similar...They never really changed up their style, and all the songs have that same like ''angsty'' theme and style--which gets tiresome sfter a while. He never really explored any other themes or things to sing about. Though I have to admit a lot of the songs are catchy as hell...

My personal favorites are: All Apologies, Negative Creep,Heart Shaped Box Dumb (somehow it reminds me of the Beatles, it's very good, sticks in my head), Pennyroyal Tea, Lithium, You Know You're Right

The direction they seemed to be going in before Kurt's death sounded really interesting (and good)...I love Do Re Mi. It's eerie to hear since not even a month later he'd be dead.

I think they could've went on to outdo Nevermind if all of the other songs on whatever album those songs would've ended up on had kept the same level of quality.

Edited by Memnoch The Devil

Nirvana is by far the best band, but my personal favourite has been Alice in Chains for a while now.

i love AIC, but I'd have to say Nirvana is my favorite "grunge" band. Cobain was a fucking genius.

He was great, but my main problem with Nirvana is that a lot of their songs sound too similar...They never really changed up their style, and all the songs have that same like ''angsty'' theme and style--which gets tiresome sfter a while. He never really explored any other themes or things to sing about. Though I have to admit a lot of the songs are catchy as hell...

My personal favorites are: All Apologies, Negative Creep,Heart Shaped Box Dumb (somehow it reminds me of the Beatles, it's very good, sticks in my head), Pennyroyal Tea, Lithium, You Know You're Right

The direction they seemed to be going in before Kurt's death sounded really interesting (and good)...I love Do Re Mi. It's eerie to hear since not even a month later he'd be dead.

I think they could've went on to outdo Nevermind if all of the other songs on whatever album those songs would've ended up on had kept the same level of quality.

Alice in Chains didn't really evolve over time either. There's some evolution going on from Dirt to Tripod, but basically nothing from Facelift to Dirt. In their latter days, concerts and rarities made it evident that they kinda evolved to a more harder, industrial style, but it's still pretty similar to what they had always done. I actually think Nirvana evolved more - they started out with Bleach, raw, basically underground punk, then moved on to Nevermind, where they got a lot of pop and catchiness in there, with a much more cleaner sound (where one part is due to proper production), and then onto In Utero, where they did a drastic change, especially when it came to production.

Edited by Lithium

Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands. I think my username already gave that away though.

Soundgarden second. One of the few metal bands I like.

Stone Temple Pilots I could say I like, but not love. There are some songs that I'm really into, but not that many of them, and about half of the others I'm ok with.

I haven't listened to a lot by Nirvana, but what I have, I didn't like.

I've been meaning to try AIC and Smashing Pumpkins for some time now, but haven't got to it yet.

That's what I know of. Any other good band with a sound similar to Ten/Vs/Core/Superunknown that anyone would like to recommend me?

As for recommendations, check out Temple of the Dog's self-titled and Mother Love Bone's Apple.

Heard them both, but forgot to mention.

The first 3 tracks on Temple Of The Dog are marvelous. The rest is good too, but not at the same level. Mother Love Bone didn't impress me much. I remember I liked one song a lot, Bone China was its title. The rest, I quickly forgot. Maybe I should give it another try.

I really don't know! The whole grunge-thing, kind of passed me by.

I love certain songs, but I often don't know which song belongs to which artist.

But I do love Nirvana and a lot of Pearl Jam songs.

As for recommendations, check out Temple of the Dog's self-titled and Mother Love Bone's Apple.

Heard them both, but forgot to mention.

The first 3 tracks on Temple Of The Dog are marvelous. The rest is good too, but not at the same level. Mother Love Bone didn't impress me much. I remember I liked one song a lot, Bone China was its title. The rest, I quickly forgot. Maybe I should give it another try.

Ok, that's cool. ;) Here's a list I posted in the recommendations thread that might be interesting to you:

Mad Season

Malfunkshun

Green River

Love Battery

Brad

L7

Afghan Whigs

Three Fish

The Melvins

Skin Yard

Hammerbox

TAD

I can throw in some albums there now too, if you want to.