Best ''Grunge'' Band?

Memnoch The Devil

As for recommendations, check out Temple of the Dog's self-titled and Mother Love Bone's Apple.

Heard them both, but forgot to mention.

The first 3 tracks on Temple Of The Dog are marvelous. The rest is good too, but not at the same level. Mother Love Bone didn't impress me much. I remember I liked one song a lot, Bone China was its title. The rest, I quickly forgot. Maybe I should give it another try.

Ok, that's cool. ;) Here's a list I posted in the recommendations thread that might be interesting to you:

Mad Season

Malfunkshun

Green River

Love Battery

Brad

L7

Afghan Whigs

Three Fish

The Melvins

Skin Yard

Hammerbox

TAD

Thanks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for recommendations, check out Temple of the Dog's self-titled and Mother Love Bone's Apple.

Heard them both, but forgot to mention.

The first 3 tracks on Temple Of The Dog are marvelous. The rest is good too, but not at the same level. Mother Love Bone didn't impress me much. I remember I liked one song a lot, Bone China was its title. The rest, I quickly forgot. Maybe I should give it another try.

Ok, that's cool. ;) Here's a list I posted in the recommendations thread that might be interesting to you:

Mad Season

Malfunkshun

Green River

Love Battery

Brad

L7

Afghan Whigs

Three Fish

The Melvins

Skin Yard

Hammerbox

TAD

I can throw in some albums there now too, if you want to.

:wub: Green River were the shit, too. I love Mother Love Bone, but weren't they a little glam to be grunge?

:wub: Green River were the shit, too. I love Mother Love Bone, but weren't they a little glam to be grunge?

Yeah, but they are generally thrown into the Seattle Sound, grunge, etc. -pit, and two of their members are in Pearl Jam, so I figured this guy would like them. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vmQjUq21Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdGroI6kx9M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbbGc8P5tqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc3A9hmYmnk

Alice in Chains was the best grunge band to me because their lyrics were so deep and moving. Not to mention Layne's voice physically gives me cold chills.

Edited by Forsaken

Guest deleted_19765

Chris Cornell seems like he would steal my girlfriend, so I could never really, really connect with Soundgarden emotionally, even though there are some great sad tracks on Superunknown. Pearl Jam leans towards mediocrity most of the time, and Mike McCready is one of the least unique guitar players to have a global audience. By most factors Nirvana's was the greatest, but I've always listened to Alice In Chains more and they'll likely remain my favorite "Grunge" band forever.

Honorable mention to Stone Temple Pilots, who were in no way copycats and developed in a far more interesting way than Pearl Jam.

They were all equally crappy. Just a really bad sub-genre. Every time I hear a grunge song I am instantly reminded why I hate all those bands. If I absolutely had to pick one, I'd pick STP for Sex Type Thing and Interstate Love Song, probably the only decent things to come out of that whole movement, and even those are mediocre by any other standard. I'm not trying to be a dick. If you like grunge, good for you, but I honestly think it blows. I don't like music that drains you. It just totally zaps all the energy out of the room. That's not a good quality. It's like a giant killjoy.

They were all equally crappy. Just a really bad sub-genre. Every time I hear a grunge song I am instantly reminded why I hate all those bands. If I absolutely had to pick one, I'd pick STP for Sex Type Thing and Interstate Love Song, probably the only decent things to come out of that whole movement, and even those are mediocre by any other standard. I'm not trying to be a dick. If you like grunge, good for you, but I honestly think it blows. I don't like music that drains you. It just totally zaps all the energy out of the room. That's not a good quality. It's like a giant killjoy.

Your opinion's wrong.

Your opinion's wrong.

Well I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you and in my opinion, you should not be entitled to an opinion.

Your opinion's wrong.

Well I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you and in my opinion, you should not be entitled to an opinion.

Oh, no. That wasn't my opinion. It's a fact that your opinion's wrong. There's a wikipedia page on it that cites many sources.

Pearl Jam was the best grunge group and it's not even close.

lol

I often wonder where it is you bought your book of facts........ :confused:

I THINK..........(if I had to pick two)..I say Creed or Stoned Temple Flyers.. :blink:

<picks up the book>

No fucking contest!

Edited by Getizzyback

Green River, Mudhoney and Nirvana were great...L7, Soundgarden, AIC, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer and STP ok.

Screaming Trees, Pearl Jam, Melvins, Hole, Fluid and Tad ok, too :rolleyes:

Can´t remember all "grunge"-bands at the moment, but yeah, there were two-dozen good/great bands + "one hit wonders" around at that era and hundreds/thousands of crappy bands, too.

I personally dug "alternative/indie/punk/new-wave etc." music before "GRUNGE"-movement so it wasn´t very important genre for me but i guess for some people it was something refreshing and new.

Glad it happened thou, between GN`R and Nirvana there was pretty much nothing to dig when talking about mainstream music.

Ok...Faith No More got bigger and Jane´s Addiction got some fame, but that was pretty much it. Black Crowes were good too.

Happy it (grunge) happened, happier when it died :rofl-lol:

Nowadays, i really miss bands like Mudhoney and Nirvana :rolleyes: