Best ''Grunge'' Band?

Memnoch The Devil

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were all equally crappy. Just a really bad sub-genre. Every time I hear a grunge song I am instantly reminded why I hate all those bands. If I absolutely had to pick one, I'd pick STP for Sex Type Thing and Interstate Love Song, probably the only decent things to come out of that whole movement, and even those are mediocre by any other standard. I'm not trying to be a dick. If you like grunge, good for you, but I honestly think it blows. I don't like music that drains you. It just totally zaps all the energy out of the room. That's not a good quality. It's like a giant killjoy.

well...i believe that grunge's main appeals was that it represents the killjoy of the world...the heavier, darker perspective of the world.

They were all equally crappy. Just a really bad sub-genre. Every time I hear a grunge song I am instantly reminded why I hate all those bands. If I absolutely had to pick one, I'd pick STP for Sex Type Thing and Interstate Love Song, probably the only decent things to come out of that whole movement, and even those are mediocre by any other standard. I'm not trying to be a dick. If you like grunge, good for you, but I honestly think it blows. I don't like music that drains you. It just totally zaps all the energy out of the room. That's not a good quality. It's like a giant killjoy.

i actually feel totally opposite. i never feel 'drained' after listening to grunge music. actually, i feel more pumped up(lack of a better word). or i just feel the same as i did before i put the music on. guess it's not your 'thing'

and i changed my mind. i like alice in chains more than nirvana. i got bored of nirvana pretty quickly and now i'm starting to get really into them

STP has actual guitar solos...for that alone, but many other reasons, I refuse to call them grunge.

Early 90's rock bands best of?

1. STP 2. Pearl Jam 3. Soundgarden 4. I dunno...maybe Candlebox

Never really got into AIC...they're OK.

Don't know enough Mudhoney to rate them.

Nirvana has a poor quality singer, and I care too much about that to say that I like them. Their music is good.

I really dont understand what grunge is or if its anything at all but i really dig a lot of the band around the whole Nirvana hoopla...Babes In Toyland, Sonic Youth, Bikini Kill...none of that is even classed as grunge i guess. Grunge always struck me as the hardcore kids slowing down and bringing more classic rock influences to the fore...fuckin mistake if you ask me. I dunno, this whole grunge thing, the grunge revolution, its actually a pack of shit, theres not really anything there...record companies need to condense things to sell em to you so its just convenient...a buncha bands from the Seattle area come out making independent underground rock music, suddenly its called "grunge" when theres so little correlation between the bands. It only came about after that as far as my understanding takes me, it suddenly became cool to be from Seattle and be in a band and hey presto, 50 millio of em crop up overnight, all of a sudden you have grunge...buncha market bullshit if you ask me...media duping people into thinking something news happening when it isnt...its easier to sell grunge than it is to sell like "hey, check this out, a buncha new bands that are kinda cool". They need that foil...the grunge movement...or britpop...or the british invasion...when really its just a buncha kids playing rock n roll...simple when you say it like that...harder to sell though...like, oh, what, ANOTHER bunch? *yawn* But no no, its a movement, a mooooovement, ooh, ok, now im interested. Its a product of lazy journalism more than anything. That old chestnut, the next big thing, the next movement, its a good way for them to avoid REALLY looking into shit and understanding where an artist or band is coming from and what their intent is. Oh, they're part of the movement, OK, i get it now. Whats worse is once the shit gets going some bands invite that shit. Yes, we're a grunge band.

It never ceases to amaze me how amazed each generation gets when it discovers that theres a bunch of like-minded kids just like them out there. But hey, get off any way you can, thats what i say :)

Edited by dirtylenny

Soundgarden, Superunknown is a masterpiece rivaled only by Led Zep's Physical Graffiti, The Beatle's Sgt. Pepper and Floyd's Dark Side of the moon. Listening to that album, even to this day, is just something else and every time it just takes a hold of me and doesn´t let go.

only my opinion though, feel free to disagree :P