Great single lines from songs.

Graeme

We all know songs with great lyrics and none are greater than those where the full song's meaning blows you away, however this is a thread for those short snippets of lyrics which you'd be happy to quote as words of wisdom or that mean a lot to you on their own.

"From Westwood to Hollywood, the one thing that's understood is that you can't buy time, but you can sell your soul, and the closest thing to heaven is to Rock N Roll" Aztec Camera- Somewhere In My Heart

"Not to love is not to live, not to live is to feel no pain," Runrig- Only The Brave

"I've been hiding since I heard "Never" Take me back to yesterday, I need to grow." In Flames- Satellites and Astronauts

"Life is beautiful and crazy, isn't it just like you and I?" Bumblefoot- Shadow

"I Once read a poem, held my breath but the moment's gone, first time I felt life somewhat hurt, I need an option, a reason and some hope." In Flames- Evil in a Closet (that whole song's lyrically magnificent though)

"I am the patron saint of lost causes, a fraction of who I once believed" Anberlin- Dismantle, Repair

"Once in a lifetime, you live and love, once in a lifetime, you die, once in a moment, the sun goes down, protect and survive" Runrig- Protect and Survive

"Always the summers are slipping away, find me a way for making it stay..." Porcupine Tree- Trains

"I cried and I prayed and I hoped and I saved and I put away those souvenirs, souvenirs, souvenirs," Deacon Blue- Real Gone Kid

"I'm not in the scene, I think I'm falling asleep but then all that it means is I'll always be dreaming of you" Blink 182- Feeling This

"It takes one tree to make 1000 matches, it takes 1 match to burn 1000 trees" Stereophonics- A Thousand Trees

"Now that she's back in the atmosphere, I'm afraid that she might think of me as... plain old jane, told a story about a man who was too afraid to fly so he never did land" Train- Drops of Jupiter

"I jumped into the river too many times to make it home, I'm out here on my own, drifting all alone, if it doesn't show then give it time to read between the lines" Guns N Roses- Estranged

"If you feel embarassed than I'll be your pride. if you need directions then I'll be your guide, for all time" Death Cab For Cutie- Passenger Seat

That's enough from me :lol: please add your own!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Beauty walks a razors edge, someday I'll make it mine."

uh oh, someone just spurred a dylan montage.

"Her profession's her religion / Her sin is her lifelessness"

""Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?""

"But even the president of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked."

"Disillusioned words like bullets bark as human gods aim for their mark made everything from toy guns that spark to flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark it's easy to see without looking too far that not much is really sacred."

okay, that last one is technically a stanza but it's soooooooo good.

Edited by stevGNR666

"Money doesn't talk, it swears"

"I could have been a famous singer, if I had someone elses voice

But failures always sounded better, lets fuck it up boys, make some noise!"

"The world just keeps getting bigger once you get out on your own"

"I don't need anybody, cause I learned how to be alone"

"There ain't nothin back in Jersey but a broken down jalopy of the man I left behind"

Just about everything Dylan, Waits and Cohen have wrote.

And I don't know where I'll be tonight but I'll always tell you where I am

Last time I was sober, man I felt bad, Worst hangover that I ever had

It took six hamburgers and scotch all night, Nicotine for breakfast just to put me right

Let your balalaika sing, What my guitar wants to say

Edited by BrownRock

Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines,

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

Pink Floyd - Time

You were the instrument,

You were the one,

How a body took the body,

Gave that boy a gun.

Guns N' Roses - Catcher in the Rye

Whisper things into my brain,

Assuring me that I'm insane,

They think our heads are in their hands,

But violent use brings violent plans.

Metallica - Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

I got nicotine stains on my fingers,

I got a silver spoon on a chain,

Got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains.

Pink Floyd - Nobody Home

And the last 2 minutes or so of Coma are brilliant.

Edited by KetchupNotMayo

"Woke up this morning and I got myself a beer"

Which is actually a Cooper line. Alice was hanging out in the studio with the Doors while they were doing Roadhouse Blues, and when he walked in he said that to Morrison. Morrison said I'm going to use that line in this song.