Metallica vs. Guns N' Roses

Memnoch The Devil

Metallica vs. GN'R  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seeing as we've done GN'R vs Nirvana, I figured we'd do GN'R versus the other biggest group of the '80s and 90s? Which is the better band?

Take this into account, as (seeing with CD) sales are indicative of popularity:

Guns N' Roses Studio Album:

Appetite for Destruction (1987)- 15 million

GN'R Lies (1988)- 6 million

Use Your Illusion I (1991)- 7 million

Use Your Illusion II (1991)- 7 million

"The Spaghetti Incident" (1993)- 1 million

Chinese Democracy (2008)- 500,000

Guns N' Roses EPs, Live Records, and Compilations:

Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide- 10,000

Live Era '87-93 (1999)- 500,000

Greatest Hits (2004)- 4 million

Metallica Studio Albums:

Kill 'Em All (1983)- 3 million

Ride the Lightning (1984)- 5 million

Master of Puppets (1986)- 6 million

...And Justice for All (1988)- 8 million

Metallica (1991)- 15 million

Load (1996)- 5 million

ReLoad (1997)- 4 Million

St. Anger (2003)- 1 million

Death Magnetic (2008)- 1 million

Metallica EPs, Live Albums & Compilations:

Garage Days Revisted (1987)- 6 million

Live Shit: Binge & Purge (1993)- 15 million

S&M (1999)- 6 million

Garage Inc (1998)- 5 million

Edited by Memnoch The Devil

while people say all the time that sales aren't reflective of music quality (otherwise Britney is the greatest), it does tell you whose music the people responded more to. I mean it's not like either album was not overplayed and super promoted at the time. In fact looks like Guns spent more $$ in promo, had a bigger tour and came with the more commercially appealing material. But Metallica's album just kept on selling and selling...

• Like 1

(otherwise Britney is the greatest),

Yeah, and I'm really a man! :rofl-lol:

Oddly enough, I've just bought fresh copies of both of these albums, which came in the post today

Anyway, the Black Album is great, but I'm always gonna pick GNR over Metallica :)

Edited by Guest

Guns N' Roses Studio Album:

Appetite for Destruction (1987)- 15 million

GN'R Lies (1988)- 6 million

Use Your Illusion I (1991)- 7 million

Use Your Illusion II (1991)- 7 million

"The Spaghetti Incident" (1993)- 1 million

Chinese Democracy (2008)- 500,000

Guns N' Roses EPs, Live Records, and Compilations:

Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide- 10,000

Live Era '87-93 (1999)- 500,000

Greatest Hits (2004)- 4 million

Metallica Studio Albums:

Kill 'Em All (1983)- 3 million

Ride the Lightning (1984)- 5 million

Master of Puppets (1986)- 6 million

...And Justice for All (1988)- 8 million

Metallica (1991)- 15 million

Load (1996)- 5 million

ReLoad (1997)- 4 Million

St. Anger (2003)- 1 million

Death Magnetic (2008)- 1 million

Metallica EPs, Live Albums & Compilations:

Garage Days Revisted (1987)- 6 million

Live Shit: Binge & Purge (1993)- 15 million

S&M (1999)- 6 million

Garage Inc (1998)- 5 million

Do you have worldwide figures for those?

Obviously i must say gnr. Reasons why I usually pick gnr over any other groups (like metallica, nirvana, iron maiden, ac/dc etc.) is that GN'R got many different type of songs, ballads like november rain and dont cry. Then some hard rock song like welcome and paradise and still you can find these songs like breakdown that are completely different from anything else.

And those numbers must be only US sells right? Last time I remember looking album sales appetite had sole over 28 million world wide.

Most people outside of a GN'R forum would probably say Metallica; they have been around longer, put out more albums (many of which are considered to be metal classics), and were unarguably more influential for their genre (pioneers of their genre vs. GN'R being offspring of a genre already established by bands like the Stones), but I could never get into them. Interestingly enough I really enjoyed the new album, though. :shrugs:

Anyway, GN'R for me. Easily.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I always think that these things are pretty dumb on a fan-board for a band. Metallica is a much bigger band than GN'R will ever become again. I prefer GN'R, but there's no deny that Metallica is more popular and influential.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

• 2 years later...
Guest jaytus

GnR in all incarnations beats Metallica all day long, it's not even a fair comparison to make.

what the FUCK

LOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

metallica is the greatest fucking band in the world no offence but any ass clown knows this

also jason newsted> duff mckagan

GnR in all incarnations beats Metallica all day long, it's not even a fair comparison to make.

what the FUCK

LOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

metallica is the greatest fucking band in the world no offence but any ass clown knows this

also jason newsted> duff mckagan

"also jason newsted> duff mckagan" < your opinion is now proven invalid, I end my participation in this topic as it is clear it is futile!

Guest jaytus

2 things: is this news and discussion, or should you poll it in my world? Number 2, there is no "and" in gnr....

On topic: Metallica blow... their best stuff is their non-metal stuff... just my opinion but as far as metal goes... give me steel panther any day...

look man its a fucking free country and it is guns and roses. my fucking buddy max is the biggest guns fan ever and when he talks about them he says guns and roses all the time he'd know.

metallica blow? LOL what the fuck do you know?

ok man i want to know which band you preger metallica or gnr bcuz il be voting metallica rock3

Guns all the way! Are you done with your homework?

what homework? my metallica homework? i know every fucking thing abut them dude fucking right on

Dude have you ever seen any gnr merch? I don't dispute that your bud may be a huge fan, but I'm sure the band know their name better than your friend... just a thought....

And opinions are cool cos everyone differs.... something like music, art etc cannot have facts... ie no one can say gnr are better than Metallica or vice versa... its all opinion man, and on a gnr forum its likely gnr will win... you might not wanna start acting like you're the dogs bollocks of music cos people don't dig that dude....