Metallica vs. Guns N' Roses

Memnoch The Devil

Metallica vs. GN'R  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To bad Metallica somehow managed to survive all kind of crises during their band career while classic GnR never has been able to solve all their internal issues.

And now we see the result of this - while Metallica is called the #1 rock/metalband on this plant - current GnR is just seen a joke. Classic GnR would be on Metallica level if they would have staid together...

while people say all the time that sales aren't reflective of music quality (otherwise Britney is the greatest), it does tell you whose music the people responded more to. I mean it's not like either album was not overplayed and super promoted at the time. In fact looks like Guns spent more $$ in promo, had a bigger tour and came with the more commercially appealing material. But Metallica's album just kept on selling and selling...

This is interesting cause going by those numbers the Black album outsold the Illusions combined. This brings back the old argument of should the Illusions been one album. At the time obviously it was awesome there was two. In hindsight it would've been better as one with the fillers left out. I think a single UYI album outsells the Black album in the long run. Funny thing too though is as much as I love the illusion albums they sound much more dated than the black album in my opinion. In fact I think the Illusion albums sounds much more dated than AFD. In hindsight the Illusion albums should have been one and looked something like this.

1. Right Next Door to Hell

2. Perfect Crime

3. Don't Damn Me

4. The Garden

5. Don't Cry

6. Yesterdays

7. Breakdown

8. Locomotive

9. You Could Be Mine

10. Civil War

11. November Rain

12. Dead Horse

13. Coma

Obviously some great songs get left out but sometimes less is more and I think THIS album would've sold way more than the 2 albums did combined.

Edited by Bono

It's simply more that the Black Album is Metallica's definitive album to the mainstream, not Master of Puppets as it would be to any of us metal fans.

Not to mention Metallica doesn't have a greatest hits and the Black Album again takes thar function too as you don't hear thrash era Metallica on the radio in most places.

• Like 1

I like the real GN'R more so than Metallica but I love all of Metallica's 80s albums and they had a big impact on me as a teenager. However, Metallica are a band to be admired because they have always beat all the odds and adversities that may have been in their way. When Cliff died, they got back on track and put out (IMO) their best album ever, ...And Justice For All. When it looked like they were done in the early 2000s, they got their shit together and are now better friends than ever. I can see the passion when they play live, even today. They look like they enjoy being on stage, living the dream. This is what all us musicians want. When I look at Axl's band now, I see a bunch of employees doing their job for a paycheck with a front man who could give a shit less if he puts on a good show or not. There's no passion for the music there. When you're playing other people's songs, you're not going to have any emotional involvement.

I respect Metallica more than Axl's solo band.

I was in Orlando, September 1992 at the Citrus Bowl. Faith No More, Metallica, then GN'R. FNM was fine played less than an hour, Metallica was awful, got booed off the stage not once but twice. At 9 pm it was like 95 degrees, crowd is upset, throwing stuff all over, people are passing out due to the heat, just about short of a riot. Guns came out and blew the roof off the place. Everyone gives Axl grief for Montreal, but he saved what could have been disaster in Orlando, nobody talks about that.

• Like 3

When you're playing other people's songs, you're not going to have any emotional involvement.

...unless it's your all-time favourite band and you love it passionately and those songs have been the sountrack to your life...

When you're playing other people's songs, you're not going to have any emotional involvement.

...unless it's your all-time favourite band and you love it passionately and those songs have been the sountrack to your life...

You think the guys Axl has now give a shit about these songs? Tommy sure as fuck doesn't. He doesn't even like them. DJ and Dizzy are probably the only two who genuinely like the songs and I think sometimes that DJ only uses this "band" as a marketing enterprise.

You think the guys Axl has now give a shit about these songs? Tommy sure as fuck doesn't. He doesn't even like them. DJ and Dizzy are probably the only two who genuinely like the songs and I think sometimes that DJ only uses this "band" as a marketing enterprise.

Bumble and DJ seems to dig it, but most of the members in new Guns are probably more excited about the paycheck. And who can blame them? it's not like Axl's doing anything that can get them to give a fuck about it.

Edited by Rovim

For any musician, playing music is one the most enjoyable things in life. It's a different kind of high that you will reach no matter what kind of music you're playing

+, You have to enjoy it if you're doing it for 13 years on every show, unless you hate your life

• 8 years later...

Kinda hard one. I'm kinda sick of GnR's hits so I voted for Metallica. They have a much more interesting career, IMO. And at least they have the dignity of releasing new stuff, no matter how meh it can be, instead of just becoming a nostalgia act fading with time, age and lack of novelty.

Metallica has higher highs (Ride the Lightning) but lower lows (St. Anger) compared to GnR.

So GnR gets my vote. Sometimes less is more. We complain about the small discography all time time, but at least we never got a St. Anger from Axl…

I feel like if GnR put out an album in 1996/1997 like Metallica did it woulda been career suicide. Vanishing for awhile, splitting off into two different bands (one which took forever to make a certain album) and then reuniting kinda added to the “mythology” of it all.

That said, I still like Metallica a good bit.

Edited by rocknroll41