Do you stretch your strings?

I auditioned for a couple bands recently (one hired me, by the way) and was pretty surprised by how many guitarists have to check their tuning after every song. I asked them if they stretched their strings and about 90% of them said, "What?"

So do you do it? If you have no idea what i'm talking about I suggest you go to youtube.

No, but I probably should. My 2 main gig guitars (Fender Strat customized to Dave Murray's exact specs, and a Jackson Randy Rhoads) both have Floyd Roses, and I never have a problem even without stretching strings. But my other guitars I probably should do it on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hell yes. If I were the guy looking for a guitarist in my band - they would need to have well set up and decent equipment. That includes having the guitar stay in tune no matter what. Theres absolutely no excuse for the guitar going out of tune after one or two songs.

Okay wait, what do you guys mean my stretching strings?

When I re-string my guitar, I bend the shit out of them, pull on them and all that shit,

they stay in tune perfectly after that and it doesn't put a crapload of strain on them

Yeah, stretching them is when you pull them miles away from the fretboard so they don't stretch when playing.

Yeah, only a retard wouldn't.

It's not the string actually "stretching", it's just slipping either at the bridge or at the tuners.

I put 'em on, tune up, then pinch each string between my index finger and thumb and pull it away from the fretboard. Then retune, then play each string at the 3rd fret and do a ridiculously wide vibrato (pretty much bending up a whole step). Retune. Repeat at the 15th fret. Retune if necessary - the strings are usually well settled by this point.