did we find a computer expert on here?

Guest Apollo

Kevin, Get Off Axl's Back, Some of the Mods (High Voltage), Dann are some of the people that have helped me or posted some type of solution in "computer help" threads I have started.

Thanks, man.

I hope my computer isn't fried.

My icons and task bar have disappeared. I just get a blue screen. Nothing works.

Kevin, Get Off Axl's Back, Some of the Mods (High Voltage), Dann are some of the people that have helped me or posted some type of solution in "computer help" threads I have started.

Thanks, man.

I hope my computer isn't fried.

My icons and task bar have disappeared. I just get a blue screen. Nothing works.

Can you bring up the task manager by pressing control+alt+delete? If you can you can proceed to load things like internet explorer and run virus scans, etc. You can do a system files check too by running the command:

sfc /scannow.

If you can get into task manager (ctrl+alt+del), then try going into the file menu and hitting "new task", then typing "explorer.exe" and hit OK.

If you're just getting a blue screen and windows isn't booting up though, then you're pretty screwed and its likely you'll need either need a reformat or repair install.

A little thing i've discovered, change the battery in the comp (looks like a watch battery), might not have enough power to start windows.

All that battery does is help the CMOS retain its settings. The computer can still start without one, but you would need to re-enter all the correct settings in the BIOS everytime you start the PC.

Try putting in a Windows CD, even if it isn't the one that is now on your computer, if Windows starts up then, take the CD out....this has worked for me in the past, I have Windows XP, but my Windows XP disk was broken, and I thought I was screwed, but I found an old Windows ME disk, put it in, and for some reason then Windows XP loaded, and everything was fine, I didn't have to reinstall it or anything. Hope this helps!

Being known as a computer expert is bad. People keep asking you to fix their computer.

:tongue2: Speaking of which, I have a few things to ask you...

I kid. Well, not really. I don't need any fixing, I was just curious about a few things if anyone's got the patience.

1. How do I uninstall trial versions of programs completely? My trial versions have expired after 30 days of use, and now that I've gotten the actual licensed CDs, they won't run because "a previous version of the program exists" even though I uninstalled the original trial versions. Obviously some sort of protection is still left, so people wouldn't download the trials over and over without the need to buy the program, but god knows where. This isn't urgent, since I have figured out and successfully tested a so-retarded-it's-genius way to keep using old trials, but still. :rofl-lol:

2. I just upgraded my Microsoft Office and Service Pack and now have the latest versions. They look horrible and distracting. Is it just that I'm not used to them, or are they really not worth sticking to in favour of Microsoft Office 2003, which I had before, along with the latest non-Beta Open Office, which is way, way more my personal style.

3. I have self-updating free versions of AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy, along with Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro. I've just been wondering whether there are any better anti-spyware programs, because Spybot has been a bit off lately. Perhaps even another anti-virus program.

That's all I can remember for now.

Being known as a computer expert is bad. People keep asking you to fix their computer.

1. How do I uninstall trial versions of programs completely? My trial versions have expired after 30 days of use, and now that I've gotten the actual licensed CDs, they won't run because "a previous version of the program exists" even though I uninstalled the original trial versions. Obviously some sort of protection is still left, so people wouldn't download the trials over and over without the need to buy the program, but god knows where. This isn't urgent, since I have figured out and successfully tested a so-retarded-it's-genius way to keep using old trials, but still. :rofl-lol:

2. I just upgraded my Microsoft Office and Service Pack and now have the latest versions. They look horrible and distracting. Is it just that I'm not used to them, or are they really not worth sticking to in favour of Microsoft Office 2003, which I had before, along with the latest non-Beta Open Office, which is way, way more my personal style.

3. I have self-updating free versions of AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy, along with Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro. I've just been wondering whether there are any better anti-spyware programs, because Spybot has been a bit off lately. Perhaps even another anti-virus program.

That's all I can remember for now.

1. Depends on the program. Usually you can put the licence key or whatever in the trial and it will activate it fully.

2. I'm not a fan of the latest Office either, but I have it just for 'having it' sake. But for most people, 2003 will do for some time yet. Use what you think is best.

3. AVG is okay as a free AV. Maybe check out AntiVir. For paid, NOD32 is the best. For antispyware I now use Malwarebytes Anti Malware. I've left ad-aware and Spybot well behind. (Spybot took ages to scan and ad-aware started installing services and using more system resources.)

Hmm, thank you, guys.

1. Depends on the program. Usually you can put the licence key or whatever in the trial and it will activate it fully.

The trial didn't even ask for the key any more after I reinstalled and ran it; it just had a "Click to Buy Full Version" link. :unsure: Oh well, this is what the "Adjust Date/Time" option in the lower right hand side of my screen is for. :rofl-lol: