Punk Rock

Death Star

I adore punk rock. To me, musically at least, its what breathed life into the possibilities of what music is capable of. Without it i think my interest would have waned after a while. I cannot describe what it was like to first hear the sex pistols, anarchy in the UK come pounding out of a set of speakers. Its like...bliss, epiphany, i can remember the exact fucking moment i picked up that cassette in a fucking dollar bin and heard that goddamn song. Its the be all and end all for me and something that, ideologially speaking, has effected me very profoundly in 99% of walks of life. I think its something very precious and special and i am absolutely obssessive about it and its history and the people involved in it and the music they made...oooh, shit, i can't explain but...all bullshit aside, to me its like a surge of energy, it centers me and informs me and excites me and provokes me and...Jesus hip hoppin Christ, what would i be without punk rock? It really doesnt bear thinking about. As for what bands do i like? Jesus, where to begin..

the stooges

the sex pistols

MC5

New York Dolls

the dictators

blondie

PiL

the ramones

suicide

minor threat

bad brains

the replacements

johnny thunders and the heartbreakers

richard hell and the voidoids

magazine

joy division

the buzzcocks

siouxsie and the banshees

the damned

the clash

the germs

the bags

black flag

fuck this, i could go on for days and days, not just about the subject but each and every one of those bands a piece. And whats frightening about that is that, in terms of knowledge of the genre, i dont even touch the tip of the iceberg.

Punk Rock is a beautiful thing...musically, ideologically, in every sense. It informs the person i am on more levels than i'm sure anyone cares to listen.

Any Bad Religion fans in here? IMO theyre about the only relevant good punk band left

I love 80's Bad Religion, their newer stuff not so much. No Control was the last truly great BR album, though there have been a handful of good songs since. I don't agree that they are the only relevant punk band though, there is still something of a hardcore scene in some larger cities, and bands like Common Enemy still kick ass. And Bad Brains are still around, and they're definitely still relevant. Sure, Build A Nation didn't even touch the greatness of the first album, but it's their best since I Against I.

Guest deleted_19765

I love Punk in theory and respect the function it served in the development of Rock music, but very little of it endures for me in terms of listening material.

As far as punk goes, off the top of my head;

The Clash, Sex Pistols, Iggy Pop & The Stooges, The Ramones, Social Distortion, The Damned, Neurotic Outsiders, The Loyalties, Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers, Dead Kennedys, Stiff Little Fingers, New York Dolls, Gallows, Buzzcocks, Blondie, Fu Manchu, Joy Division, Black Flag, Talking Heads, The Stranglers, Fear, UK Subs and The Misfits.

Sure I'm forgetting a few..

Edited by Snake Eyes

Meh. Punk rock is ok if I'm in the mood, but hardcore punk is where it's at. Misfits, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, SS Decontrol, Circle Jerks, Bad Religion, etc.

this, but drop misfits and ss decontrol and add converge and the germs.

op's list is weak. dropkick murphys are beyond awful.

Converge & The Germs are certainly not hardcore punk, sir.

But, short list of my faves include: Poison Idea, Cro-Mags, Discharge, Black Flag, Carnivore, old Agnostic Front. 'Bout it.

• 2 weeks later...
Really diggin' the Ramones at the moment.

Have you seen the Cabbies on crack video? It only features Joey, but it's so kickass:

First ever demo recordings, there's something really exciting about the rawness and Joeys voice, it's untamed and full of attitude. :wub:

Chainsaw

Today your love, Tomorrow the world

I can get you or anyone else whose interested the mp3's of the demo recordings above as they're brilliant and rather rare.

• 1 year later...

its freaking awesome, dropkick murphys, the flatliners, the loved ones, gaslight anthem, rise against, and a hell of alot more

there is no better party music than punk.

but I do must say that bands like six pistols and the clash suck donkey balls

• 2 weeks later...

I love Punk in theory and respect the function it served in the development of Rock music, but very little of it endures for me in terms of listening material.

Great post. I don't really have anything else to add. :thumbsup:

Me either. Punk for me doesn't do a whole lot, I just like it's influence more than the actual music.

As for the stooges dude, you might wanna download raw power before that first album, it'll make the point better :)

I disagree, I think Fun House is a stronger album. I think after the one-two punch of "Search and Destroy" and "Gimme Danger", the album kinda drops in quality. Fun House is great throughout.