Punk Rock

Death Star

Guest Len B'stard

As for the stooges dude, you might wanna download raw power before that first album, it'll make the point better :)

I disagree, I think Fun House is a stronger album. I think after the one-two punch of "Search and Destroy" and "Gimme Danger", the album kinda drops in quality. Fun House is great throughout.

I think Funhouse and Raw Power are even :) I think Raw Power is one of the few examples of an album that is just end to end perfect, you just cannot get any better than that. Drop in quality? I've never heard anyone else say that and it's quite interesting cuz i'd like to know what you mean because Jesus, Shake Appeal?!?! Death Trip? Penetration? Raw Power? These are beneath the opening two? I don't see it man. I'm one of the few remaining lovers of Iggys mix too, its just so fucking loud. I think Raw Power is a 100% perfect rock n roll album and i totally understand what Iggy meant when he said that he had to do something else because he'd pretty much shot his shot in terms of rock n roll after Raw Power, i seriously don't think a better album exists on this planet. I think some equal it but thats as far as it goes. Its so fuckin....up, its so amped, it's so fuckin catchy...Shake Appeal makes me wanna just stand up and...flail around like a spastic, like i wanna lose control of my faculties...music to fling yourself around a padded cell to :lol:

Me either. Punk for me doesn't do a whole lot, I just like it's influence more than the actual music.

Really? I find it to be more musical in so much as it zeros in on the core of what it is about music that makes it such a powerful force and less on periphery. I find it quite nonsensical that there are those (don't mean you) that consider a form of music that concentrates on the core of rhythm to be non-musical. Punk to me is like foundation, walls and roof...and a lot of what those who criticise it are into is like...furniture...decorations...ornaments.

Edited by sugaraylen

As for the stooges dude, you might wanna download raw power before that first album, it'll make the point better :)

I disagree, I think Fun House is a stronger album. I think after the one-two punch of "Search and Destroy" and "Gimme Danger", the album kinda drops in quality. Fun House is great throughout.

I think Funhouse and Raw Power are even :) I think Raw Power is one of the few examples of an album that is just end to end perfect, you just cannot get any better than that. Drop in quality? I've never heard anyone else say that and it's quite interesting cuz i'd like to know what you mean because Jesus, Shake Appeal?!?! Death Trip? Penetration? Raw Power? These are beneath the opening two? I don't see it man. I'm one of the few remaining lovers of Iggys mix too, its just so fucking loud. I think Raw Power is a 100% perfect rock n roll album and i totally understand what Iggy meant when he said that he had to do something else because he'd pretty much shot his shot in terms of rock n roll after Raw Power, i seriously don't think a better album exists on this planet. I think some equal it but thats as far as it goes. Its so fuckin....up, its so amped, it's so fuckin catchy...Shake Appeal makes me wanna just stand up and...flail around like a spastic, like i wanna lose control of my faculties...music to fling yourself around a padded cell to :lol:

Haha, don't get me wrong, Raw Power is great, but songs like "Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell" and "I Need Somebody" aren't quite as good. Still a great album, though, and those songs are far from bad.

Raw Power is one of the few examples of an album that is just end to end perfect, you just cannot get any better than that.I think Raw Power is a 100% perfect rock n roll album.Raw Power, i seriously don't think a better album exists on this planet. I think some equal it but thats as far as it goes.It zeros in on the core of what it is about music that makes it such a powerful force and less on periphery.

Perfect :)

Some punk is horrible, some of it's exceptional and inspiring. Either it makes you feel something, or makes you want to turn it off. Granted, some skilled musicians "dumbed down" their sound to fit in with the times, but it gave others the confidence to get on a stage and do something.

When you really dive in to the roots of it all, it comes from all sorts of places...

Me either. Punk for me doesn't do a whole lot, I just like it's influence more than the actual music.

Really? I find it to be more musical in so much as it zeros in on the core of what it is about music that makes it such a powerful force and less on periphery. I find it quite nonsensical that there are those (don't mean you) that consider a form of music that concentrates on the core of rhythm to be non-musical. Punk to me is like foundation, walls and roof...and a lot of what those who criticise it are into is like...furniture...decorations...ornaments.

I guess I'm just turned off by the vocals, for the most part. A lot of punk I've heard (real punk, not pseudo-punk like Green Day) have singers that can't really sing too well, and I know that's part of the rebellion of punk, I can't get on board with it. I have no problem with the simplicity of the music itself, though.

And yeah, what I mean by enjoying the influence is that raw, dirty, "fuck you" vibe that it brings to the music. Guns N' Roses for example, AFD wouldn't have been the same with those punk elements, there wouldn't be any of that sneer. I think it's almost more of a mindset, than much else, but I love that.

Guest Len B'stard
I guess I'm just turned off by the vocals, for the most part. A lot of punk I've heard (real punk, not pseudo-punk like Green Day) have singers that can't really sing too well, and I know that's part of the rebellion of punk, I can't get on board with it

Horses for courses, i'm the other way, i can't stand conventional voices, voices that are "a good voice" as according to standards of tone and delivery and hitting notes...i find that so boring. I like it in a lot of instances but it seems a few really good singers did that and were exceptional and it and everyone just immitated the blueprint, which i find rather boring and sort of missing the point too because what made them exceptional was that they were exceptional i.e. an exception to the general standard, so why then would you want to invent ANOTHER standard? Surely thats when you kinda go all out and try and be exceptional yourself but by being yourself and finding your own voice and not this kind of wholesale mimicry where you can kinda see the progression from one singer to another like you could make a case for with Robert Plant to Axl Rose. Gimme Little Richard, Johnny Rotten, Macy Gray...go out there, suprise me. The more you accept standards the more you perform to them the more boring you get, to my mind.

Some punk is horrible, some of it's exceptional and inspiring.

I hear a lot of people say this but isn't that the case with any/every genre?

we are "editing" our english book, and we found an article about punk rock, and though it was well written, we decided to cut it because it had a misleading title, and was, pretty much a rant about how the author was discriminated against by police, and looked at differentl, which was irrelevant to the title, which was: Punk rock is not dead. i am looking for suggestions on well written articles that can replace the one that we decided to cut out. we are submitting this edit to the author/publisher of our book so it must be an intellectual esay about punk rock. kthxbai

==============

Smart Lipo

mood stabilizers

I've decided to give the genre a(nother) chance. So I downloaded:

MC5 - Kick Out The Jams

Clash - London Calling

Sex Pistols - Nevermind The Bollocks

Ramones - Ramones

Stooges - Stooges

I'll try to listen to them soon, see if I change my mind.

:no:

Well, it wasn't that bad actually. I had never listened to a full punk album before.

They were mostly listenable, but not in any way attractive to me. Not as bad as I'd expected. Mainly the more famous were (surprisingly!) the most engaging: London Calling, I Wanna Be Your Dog, Kick Out The Jams, Blitzkrieg Bop.

A simple pattern actually: some pretty fun, groovy riffs and whatever (the entire instrumentals in general), ruined by annoying vocals.

London Calling: I guess my favorite of the bunch. Starts out pretty good, but kinda looses it later.

MC5: Varying response from me. It doesn't sound much like what I'd think when I hear the word 'punk'. It's more like classic rock/rock'n'roll. Some cool stuff in there, what's more accessible classic rock'n'roll is actually nice, there was especially one track that fit the description, toward the end, but I couldn't tell which one... And there was a longer one that sounded more like psychedelic rock that was seriously bad :laugh:

The Stooges: Basically, see above. (minus those two tracks)

The Ramones: I really wanted to like this, cuz I had heard Ramones before and weren't bad (plus Tom Waits has covered them, which automatically makes them awesome). It was fun for about 5 minutes (67 songs, that is) but got boring pretty fast.

I still pretty much believe that the only context worth listening this music in is Tony Hawk games soundtracks. :D

Never Mind The Bollocks: Horrendous. Really, really bad.

Guest Len B'stard

Re-done:

London Calling: A shockingly outstanding appropriation of a shitload of styles of music perfectly presented with a London bark and a drive that is undeniably and timelessly infectious and infinitely listenable.

MC5: Juiced up rock n roll sounding like rock n roll SHOULD nay, must sound. Driven, emphatic, insanely powerful...music to drive a souped up Dodge off a cliff too while whizzin' on coke. Intense, rousing, inciteful, incendiary rock n roll that could blow ANY band off the fuckin stage. The rightful American sucessors to the throne of rock n roll, doing it like no other 60s band were. Was your fuckin volume knob busted or something?!?! When i hear that riff to Kick Out the Jams kick in i wanna fuckin...roar or something. For all the British Invasion and shit, brilliant as it was, they kinda trailed off into whimsy and psychedelia pretty quick while the 5 were fuckin laying it down. Took Cream out of the game on their first U.S. tour as their openers...i rest my case. "i'm the man for ya baby...yes i am for ya baby" come oooonnnn now :lol:

The Ramones: An absolutely perfect band...100%. I truly believe that if you dig pre-Revolver Beatles then you HAVE to on some level appreciate The Ramones otherwise there's something you ain't getting.

The Stooges: An excellent album but a little too acid soaked for a first time introduction to what The Stooges were really about.

Never Mind The Bollocks: The greatest rock n roll album ever made...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...bar none, the most important album ever, the very definition of timeless, rock n roll will never recover from this album and who the fuck would want it to? Everything good that came out of rock n roll post the release of this album, everything worthwhile and of substance and relevance can somehow, in however convoluted a way, be traced back to this album. It is the pinnacle, it is Mount Olympus, it is the bible, the bhagavad gita, the qu'ran, the diamond sutra all rolled into one, it is the most powerful most definitive rock n roll statement in history and since the day of its release to the present moment it has continuously and consistently proved itself as such...YOU CANNOT FUCK WITH THE SEX PISTOLS...it's just...perfect, it's the complete definitive article and rock n roll is more or less fucked because of it because you just can't do any better....no one can.

I rest my case :)

Honest, defiant, forthright, rousing...sublime :):)

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I've just started to listen to this band called Toy Dolls. They might be one of the very best bands ever. I fucking love them!