Best drummers?

Memnoch The Devil

best drummer?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of those, Keith Moon. He's not my all time favorite, but he's top 5 material, of which my list looks something like this:

5. Scott Churilla (Reverend Horton Heat)

4. Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)

3. David Garibaldi (Tower Of Power)

2. Tie - Neil Peart (Rush)/Keith Moon (The Who)

1. Buddy Rich

I know probably not a lot of people here have ever really heard much of Buddy Rich or David Garibaldi, but both are very much worth checking out if you are a drum enthusiast.

Danny Carey (Tool)

Josh Freese (APC and a fuckload of other shit)

Jimmy Chamberlain (Smashing Pumpkins)

Abe Cunningham (Deftones)

Matt Cameron (Soundgarden, Temple)

Brad Wilk (RATM, Audioslave)

But I also like a heap of other guys. Dudes like Fabrizio Moretti (Strokes) and Ronnie Vannucci (Killers) probably aren't as technically proficient as the other guys I mentioned, but they know how to lay down some catchy grooves that perfectly complement the song.

Also any drummer that makes you want to dance is awesome.

I wonder how many people are voting for Bonham just so they can fit in with the standard, instead of voting through personal preference.

Out of those, I went with Dave Grohl, because his drumming has spoken to me on a more personal level out of those guys. Jimmy Chamberlain would be a nice addition, too.

Cozy Powell (Black Sabbath, Whitesnake, Jeff Beck, Rainbow)

Thunderstick (Iron Maiden, Samson)

Zak Starkey (Oasis, The Who, also Ringo's son)

Alan White (Oasis)

Steve White (Style Council, Paul Weller)

Reni (Stone Roses)

Neil Peart (Rush)

Roger Taylor (Queen)

Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters)

Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience)

Chad Smith (RHCP)

Josh Freese (Vandals, GNR, NIN, Perfect Circle)

Chris Sharrock (The Las, Oasis, Robbie Williams)

Brad Wilk (Audioslave, RATM)

Matt Helders (Arctic Monkeys)

Alright, i tried shutting up but i cant take it anymore :rofl-lol:

Moonie absolutely pisses over nearly all of the drummers mentioned so far for a number of reasons. I mean jesus, how can you even compare these people to Moonie, he basically fucking invented drumming for rock n roll outside of the basic boom tat, boom tat-ing, he was an absolute whirlwind. He was just amazing, just fucking incredible, and none of that soloing for fucking 20 minutes, all moonie needed was a fucking break, thats it, a fucking 4 second break to look like a fucking genius, cuz thats what he was.

And you can gimme all that chat up and down about Cozy Powell and Bonzo being more technically profficient (and its not to be ignored either) but when it comes down to it....come ooonnnn...they say Moonie couldn't keep a basic sort of timing thing going but thats cuz his fucking drumming was creating a completely new layer of rhythm, he was just beautiful as a drummer and i mean that just in the straightahead literal sense, the man was a joy to watch, just incredible behind the kit, absolutely insane, such a fucking showman, whenever i watch The Who play, as obssessive and crazy as i am about the rest of the band, Moon is the fucking man, Moon'd be the spectacle to see in a band full of the best frontmen on this fucking planet, theres just absolutely no comparison.

And he hated solo's, isnt that fucking beautiful, a drummer, THE drummer, a drummers drummer that hated fucking solos. Why? cuz he had that basic understanding that you got to serve the song, as fun and funky as long groovy improvisational grateful deadesque (look at me talking about a band i know nothing about) thingies when it comes down to it, you gotta serve the song, you can't go fucking off like that too much in rock n roll, its about the 3-ish minutes that the song lasts and quite frankly, a good enough drummer doesnt need a fucking solo to shine cuz, like Moonie, give em 5 seconds and they'll show you some shit.

He just had a magnificent sense of playing, i first noticed it in this documentry where roger daltreys in the studio and he's like, fuckin with the tracks basically for Who's Next and like...leaving just drums and vocals on and, fuckin forget about it, the shit that boys doing is fucking magnificent, its almost like he's reinterpreting the vocal rhythms through the drums...breaking almost when the vocals break and playing straight and then flipping into that boom boom boom biddley boom boom fuckin....insanity.

The fact is, he laid down the fucking groundwork for drummers, the man never practised, never owned a kit at any of his own homes, Moon was like...oh, what words are there?!?! what do you call what Muhammad Ali was for boxing or Shakespeare was to the written word or what Plato was to philosophy? Cuz thats what fucking Moonie was to rock n roll drumming...Moonie was like an engine, like a rocket...when you listen to that band play and then listen to Moonie coming in its like a fucking dragster or something, like a huge WHOOOOSH of fucking air that knocks your fucking head back and its like.....yeeeaahhh, THIS is what drums can do!!!

And the way he was with The Who, for all of those claiming his drumming was just a sloppy sort of unreproducable insanity need to WATCH The 'orrible 'oo and their performances and see what that man does for them, his drumming, by the sheer breadth of it and the bases covered in total, holds it together soundwise, as a musical unit to produce that product that was their songs and albums. With him it would've fallen apart or jus sounded...neutered. And to be honest, it has done since.

Bonhams better than Moon. And Baker.

Stacks thinks that Omar Rodriguez Lopez is the best drummer of all time. Even though he isn't a drummer -- but just because he's "experimental." :rolleyes:

If Bonham had rolled out a drum set with, like, ironic Barbie stickers on the front, and had played in a mock marching band parade with the Residents and Captain Beefheart, all while playing a flute with his asshole, he'd think he was top five of all-time. But because he played straight rock n' roll, stacks hates him. Weak.