The Band

Guest deleted_19765

Guest deleted_19765

One development over the last few months for me has been the full-flowering of my love for The Band. I really love Richard Manuel's voice and the songs he sings lead on in particular, although Danko and Helm are excellent singers as well. I was saddened in watching The Last Waltz again last night, Richard only really sings on one song. He was probably in pretty poor shape at this point.

To quote a phrase too often employed, The Band were pretty far ahead of their time. They mixed some of the newer developments in Rock music at the time with various American traditional forms to create something not too dissimilar to what would be called "Alt. Country" in the '90s.

The Levon Helm Band is a great live act to catch today!

Anyway, any other fans of The Band?

Edited by AgainstAllOdds

Discovered them through Dylan, and I absolutely love them.

The reason you don't see Richard Manuel in the The Last Waltz is because they couldn't get the camera properly set-up on him. I believe he sang a few more songs at the concert, but they were cut from the film.

The film focuses on Robbie too much anyway.

Guest deleted_19765
Discovered them through Dylan, and I absolutely love them.

The reason you don't see Richard Manuel in the The Last Waltz is because they couldn't get the camera properly set-up on him. I believe he sang a few more songs at the concert, but they were cut from the film.

The film focuses on Robbie too much anyway.

Thanks for the info!

It isn't surprising that Robbie produced the film. It's really hard not to be annoyed by him.

Guest deleted_19765
Hell of a guitar player though. His work with Dylan in the Hawks is awesome.

It is. You just sort of have to remember him as just a good guitarist in order to enjoy the wonderful music that he was a part of.

• 1 month later...
Guest deleted_19765

A welcome bump.

This is one of my favorite videos on the internet. It had disappeared for a month or so but now its back. Richard Manuel singing "You Don't Know Me" from "The Band is Back" Canadian T.V. special in the 80s. Seriously great singing from a short period during which Richard had cleaned up a little bit.

i have "The Band" and "Music from Big Pink" along with the "Bob Dylan Basement Tapes". i really like what i've heard, i need to dig deeper though.

as a kid i had an Oak Ridge Boys album with a cover of "Up On Cripple Creek" on it. man, i loved that song! still do love their version.

i've never seen "The Last Waltz", i guess that's the next purchase. i hope it's on BluRay.

Edited by artfromtex

i have "The Band" and "Music from Big Pink" along with the "Bob Dylan Basement Tapes". i really like what i've heard, i need to dig deeper though.

as a kid i had an Oak Ridge Boys album with a cover of "Up On Cripple Creek" on it. man, i loved that song! still do love their version.

i've never seen "The Last Waltz", i guess that's the next purchase. i hope it's on BluRay.

It is on Blu-Ray.

Get it man...guarantee you'll love it!

It is on Blu-Ray.

i'm going to have to get it.

man, there's a ton of music BluRays to get.

I really want to get into them but never get round to it. Any suggestions as where to start?

I would start with their eponymous second album. Big Pink has "The Weight," but The Band has more of their best-known songs.

Guest deleted_19765

I definitely prefer the debut, but you'll need both eventually. The Band is somewhat more grounded and consistent, but there's nothing like this on it.

It is on Blu-Ray.

i'm going to have to get it.

man, there's a ton of music BluRays to get.

Recently picked up Blu-Rays of Hendrix at Monterey and Woodstock.

Also picked up Roy Orbison A Black and White Night...the audio on the Blu-Ray is phenominal...you can hear the pick hitting the strings...it's just stellar!

i love the band! they're one of those bands that can truly put you in a different place when you listen to their music. listening to "the night they drove old dixie down" makes me feel like virgil caine. it's weird. my fave songs are probably, the weight, night they drove.., tears of rage, kings harvest has surely come and others. but i absolutely love them. just recently i've been having the band fever. :P and i can't believe they have the last waltz in blu ray! i just bought it regular!