Generation X / Billy Idol

axlskAmpf

When I was a young teen I was heavily influenced by Punk, I was the only 6th grader who was a huge Ramones fan. (my 1st concert in 79 in central park) The was The Pistols, Boomtown Rats, and Generation X. If you have not heard their first 1978 release, self titled, go get it!

A few years later he came to America and did the whole "get big on MTV" thing, but before all that we have some lesser known tunes worth hearing. Promises Promises, Ready Steady Go, and...

- Song starts about 30 secs in. This is old rehearsal footage set atop the studio cut.

Great stuff, anyone know them?

Generation X are great, they were one of the first punk bands I got into. Billy Idol's more commercial music is great as well, Rebel Yell is a solid record. Post-80's Billy I've kind of avoided because I've read some pretty bad reviews.

Oh absolutely, I loved the hits too, just wanted to get some older ones spread about.

The Storytellers he did was great btw, check out Sweet 16.

Generation X are great, they were one of the first punk bands I got into. Billy Idol's more commercial music is great as well, Rebel Yell is a solid record. Post-80's Billy I've kind of avoided because I've read some pretty bad reviews.

Oh absolutely, I loved the hits too, just wanted to get some older ones spread about.

The Storytellers he did was great btw, check out Sweet 16.

Funny, I just watched that Storytellers "Sweet Sixteen" clip last night on youtube.

LOVEEEEEEEEE Generation X, Dancing With Myself, Kiss Me Deadly, Your Generation, Ready Steady Go, King Rocker, 100 Punks, Wi-Wi-Wild Youth :lol: fucking amazing shit!! They even did a cover of Lennons Gimme Some Truth i think, big no no for a punk band but they were always kinda...a bit elbowed out of that whole thing in terms of the hardcore of it. Tony James was a key player in the punk scene, involved in the bands that end up becoming The Clash and The Damned in their formative stages. Great fuckin band though and hugely underrated.

LOVEEEEEEEEE Generation X, Dancing With Myself, Kiss Me Deadly, Your Generation, Ready Steady Go, King Rocker, 100 Punks, Wi-Wi-Wild Youth :lol: fucking amazing shit!! They even did a cover of Lennons Gimme Some Truth i think, big no no for a punk band but they were always kinda...a bit elbowed out of that whole thing in terms of the hardcore of it. Tony James was a key player in the punk scene, involved in the bands that end up becoming The Clash and The Damned in their formative stages. Great fuckin band though and hugely underrated.

You think right! It was the 1st song on side A on that 78 US debut, and the first thing I ever heard of theirs. Before all the added 2002 bonus tracks, here's the original track list.

Side A

1. "Gimme Some Truth" (John Lennon)

2. "Wild Youth"

3. "From The Heart"

4. "Ready Steady Go"

5. "Kleenex"

6. "Promises Promises"

Side B

1. "Day By Day"

2. "One Hundred Punks"

3. "Your Generation"

4. "Kiss Me Deadly"

5. "Wild Dub"

6. "Youth Youth Youth"

I see it wasn't on the UK version, not until the next record. (*Valley Of The Dolls") You can here some of it here - song 23.

Yeah, they were not typical punk at all. I mean, for example, "Valley" had a 2 part ballad called "The Prime of Kenny Silvers" that was a real shocker to the punk fans! Personally I thought it was a great piece of music.

Edited by axlskAmpf