Censored words

Dariablue

I completely agree with the fact that the 'n word' is censored, however why isn't the word 'hooray for tolerance!' censored? That word is just as offensive and people throw it around here far too often, in my opinion. Agree? Disagree?

Also, if it is added to the censored words, I don't think this is a question of hindering free speech so much as common decency that some people on here fail to grasp.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forum rules:

1) Be polite and respect other members and point of views; harassment, vulgar insults and namecalling will not be tolerated
3) Racist, homophobic and sexual posts, images, or signatures not allowed

It's already a forum rule. I'm merely asking for it to be inforced.

Edited by Dariablue

the "n-word' filtering to "black person" is racist in itself; the former doesn't always refer to the latter.

it's like you're saying the two are equivalent.

It's not perfect, but no solution is. By putting black person, it doesn't draw attention to the fact that a word has even been censored and therefore doesn't draw unnecessary attention to the post. This is why we don't make it say *CENSORED* or something instead. I know what you're saying, but there isn't an alternative that will make everyone happy. The easiest solution is just to avoid using the word altogether.

We could censor something like "faggot" I suppose, but then the question of where we stop then becomes an issue. We've had issues with racism moreso than homophobia on the forum in the past, which is why the censor is there for the n word.

To be honest, I think the censor is fine - it's not perfect, but I don't think there are many adjustments you can make that will improve it significantly enough to make everyone happy. Just my opinion.

We've had issues with racism moreso than homophobia on the forum in the past,

Really? Because in the short time I've been here, I've noticed far more instances of homophobic slurs than people who type the 'n' word and have it converted to black person.

Again, I don't think it's as slippery a slope as people would like to believe. Posting here isn't a right, it's a privilege. Using that word is clearly a violation of forum rules 1 and 3.

Edit: in adding to this, I also think that homophobia is more acceptable by some than racism.

Edited by Dariablue

Come onnnn :lol: I don't find homophobia itself funny, just taboo subjects in general. It's a fucked up sense of humour, so perhaps you are right. :lol: However, I do agree with you that it is wrong that homophobia is considered more acceptable than racism.

its kind of a generic insult in a lot of cases. The "n-word" isn't.

What in the world does that mean? That goes back to my point that people find homophobia more acceptable than racism and find it (disturbingly enough) more comfortable to use homophobic slurs and then back up said faulty logic with the above.

Edited by Dariablue

IMO, those are the two most offensive words in the English language.

However, context and intent really do matter.

I'm opposed to censorship in general.

I don't think either word should be censored on this forum.

Forum rules:
1) Be polite and respect other members and point of views; harassment, vulgar insults and namecalling will not be tolerated

It would be better to leave the words uncensored, that way the mods can judge by the context, rather than the word itself.

Edited by bonhamfan1

What in the world does that mean? That goes back to my point that people find homophobia more acceptable than racism and find it (disturbingly enough) more comfortable to use homophobic slurs and then back up said faulty logic with the above.

Ummmmm No.

Are we reading the same board.

People say all kinds of racist shit on this board on adaily basis..............And not just about blacks.

You don't have to include the "N" word in your post for it be racist.

And while I don't think homophobia accetable...........Our own government tells us it is (Gays and Lesbians don't have equal rights in some areas as "Straight" people)...........fight that fight Daria.

I'm opposed to censorship in general.

I don't think either word should be censored on this forum.

Forum rules:

It would be better to leave the words uncensored, that way the mods can judge by the context, rather than the word itself.

No.

It is better to have the rules laid out to you beforehand.......then just simply have every post be judged without them.

Besides......how can you tell context? It is just reading.............I'm willing to bet some of my post, people have taken the wrong way....... simply because they read them.............If we where at a bar or something of that nature discussing the issue.......they would think differently.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Honestly, how many times has that word (or some variaton) been thrown around here in a context other than intended to be derogatory? I'm guessing the instances are few and far between.

That's not really practical given the amount of extra work that would create for the mods, imo. They shouldn't have to go around the forum like kindergarten teachers because some of the less enlightened people on here can't keep their blatant homophobia and racism to a dull roar.

Ummmmm No.

Are we reading the same board.

People say all kinds of racist shit on this board on adaily basis..............And not just about blacks.

You don't have to include the "N" word in your post for it be racist.

And while I don't think homophobia accetable...........Our own government tells us it is (Gays and Lesbians don't have equal rights in some areas as "Straight" people)...........fight that fight Daria.

Judging from our difference in opinion in many areas, I doubt you and I are on the same planet most times, but that's another thread all together.

And you're right, you don't have to use the 'n' word to be racist. So you're comparing our government to the mygnr forum rules? Really? That's your excuse? Remember that little 'separate but equal' thing? Ring any bells? The government being on board has nothing to do with anything.