Best album of 2008

merslain

Was R.E.M.s Accelerate released in 2008 or 2007? That was a very good album.

2008. I didn't like it much though, but a bunch of the songs were far better live than on the album.

Yeah I saw them play like half the album on TV and really liked it. Got it for free from my local library.

Forth from the Verve was pretty awesome.

Did anyone like Saturdays = Youth by M83? I hadn't even heard of them until last fall, but man that album is cool if you like the 80's.

Death Magnetic was solid.

I was hoping Erykah Badu's album that came out last spring was gonna blow me away, but I was a little disappointed. I wasn't really blown away by any "albums" this year, to be honest... lots of awesome songs, though :).

Edited by Ant

Skeletal Lamping by of Montreal.

I still havent heard this how is it compared to Hissing Fauna and Gay parade?

I think it's Kevin's second best album overall. It's not quite as good as Hissing Fauna, but much better than The Gay Parade.

It's completely different stylistically to The Gay Parade; it's a continuation of the more electronic-oriented pop on Satanic Panic, The Sunlandic Twins and Hissing Fauna, rather than the twee sound The Gay Parade and his other earlier albums had. It's much more eclectic than any of his previous albums--there's funk, soul, R&B, Bowie-esque glam rock, experimental, a little noise rock, and a big Prince influence. Its structuring is completely different to anything he's done before; there's usually at least two or three different segments in each song.

At first, I was really disappointed with the album, but it's really grew on me since then; it's actually my top-played album on Last.fm. I think the structures of the songs hinder its accessibility--I needed at least three or four listens before I could get into it, and I know the same happned to a lot of other people--but once I got past that it became one of the my favourite aspects of the album.

It's definitely worth buying, or at least downloading. If not for the album itself, but at least for the four foot horse that comes free with the LP.