Why Rock Died

White Widow

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grunge was and is a stupid label.

I do like Foo Fighters better than Nirvana but that's just because Nirvana had 2-3 CDs and think their live shows are great.

But Kurt's music snobbery of what he thought was cool and what sucked and the fanbots that followed him to the letter I still get annoyed with. I think it might have been in trying to get people to notice some bands that were overlooked and did it to piss people off.

But no GNR - no Nirvana. If GNR never got signed, Sonic Youth and Janes never would have. AIC and Soundgarden were already big bands before Nirvana. As far as I'm concerned GNR had far more impact on music in the 90s than Nirvana actually did. It was just them being the right band in the right place at the right time. And Cobain knew full well that Duff's roots in Seattle punk were deeper than his. Slash already knew of The Germs and all the other punk bands that were in LA in the 70s and 80s. Cobain sold himself out when he signed with the majors and sent the price of flannel into the 3 figure range.

There were a lot of great bands in the 90s, but if you want to pinpoint the year music went downhill, 1997 is the year it all went wrong. Radio stations were being snatched up left and right and a huge movement by CEOs to f- with Sound Scan by pushing a lot of crap product on the public, having boy bands working Europe and the UK, just getting ready to assault the American public with Britney, Christina, N-Sync, and Backstreet Boys... it all started with Hanson (who is a decent band but will continue to be considered a novelty act) and the Spice Girls. Tupac and Biggie being killed also played a part in neutering rap). Jeff Buckley and Sublime continue to sell 10 years later. Metal reinvented itself, Pantera had a huge following in the 90s even with grunge having a stranglehold on the charts and then mmmpop. But just look from 1998 on, a lot of it was rehashed stuff from the 70s and early 80s. Bands like No Doubt started the 90s resurrecting ska and ending it doing rap?

Somehow America avoided the Robbie Williams thing.

Rock is far from dead. It's always evolving, and there's plenty around that's going to take time to build a following. How bands build followings... some of it's still word of mouth from going to shows and seeing it, but how they get the word out via the internet is still a work in progress.

MTV is dead when you have You Tube and MySpace giving people videos on demand, they even did away with TRL live, which at least was a live venue for new bands. But with at least 6 late night talk shows, they have a lot of places to go. And we're in a time when people are once again turning to music as a place for comfort as well as a place to vent frustration. The industry has been looking for the next Nirvana for 20 years, the next GNR for even longer. Sorry, but there is no "next big thing" the way there used to be, except on Idol, and even that's far from a safe place. You can count on one hand who has done well from the show.

My opinion is that Rock music may have died because:

There are no more songs.

Every chord set, scale pattern, riff, lick, and musical phrase that could be organized has been used many times over. Not to mention lyrics.

This is the most false notion about music ever, i hate when people think like that. theres music outside of the 4/4 verse chorus verse chorus formula

To blame the 'death of rock' on Kurt Cobain, one single man, is pathetic and naive.

If anything, Cobain has inspired millions of kids over the past 15 years to LISTEN TO ROCK in the first place.

I know that happened with me. Nirvana was the first rock band I got into, when I was about 15 years old. And from there, via an indirect route, into Guns N' Roses.

Grunge was and is a stupid label.

I do like Foo Fighters better than Nirvana but that's just because Nirvana had 2-3 CDs and think their live shows are great.

But Kurt's music snobbery of what he thought was cool and what sucked and the fanbots that followed him to the letter I still get annoyed with. I think it might have been in trying to get people to notice some bands that were overlooked and did it to piss people off.

But no GNR - no Nirvana. If GNR never got signed, Sonic Youth and Janes never would have. AIC and Soundgarden were already big bands before Nirvana. As far as I'm concerned GNR had far more impact on music in the 90s than Nirvana actually did. It was just them being the right band in the right place at the right time. And Cobain knew full well that Duff's roots in Seattle punk were deeper than his. Slash already knew of The Germs and all the other punk bands that were in LA in the 70s and 80s. Cobain sold himself out when he signed with the majors and sent the price of flannel into the 3 figure range.

There were a lot of great bands in the 90s, but if you want to pinpoint the year music went downhill, 1997 is the year it all went wrong. Radio stations were being snatched up left and right and a huge movement by CEOs to f- with Sound Scan by pushing a lot of crap product on the public, having boy bands working Europe and the UK, just getting ready to assault the American public with Britney, Christina, N-Sync, and Backstreet Boys... it all started with Hanson (who is a decent band but will continue to be considered a novelty act) and the Spice Girls. Tupac and Biggie being killed also played a part in neutering rap). Jeff Buckley and Sublime continue to sell 10 years later. Metal reinvented itself, Pantera had a huge following in the 90s even with grunge having a stranglehold on the charts and then mmmpop. But just look from 1998 on, a lot of it was rehashed stuff from the 70s and early 80s. Bands like No Doubt started the 90s resurrecting ska and ending it doing rap?

Somehow America avoided the Robbie Williams thing.

Rock is far from dead. It's always evolving, and there's plenty around that's going to take time to build a following. How bands build followings... some of it's still word of mouth from going to shows and seeing it, but how they get the word out via the internet is still a work in progress.

MTV is dead when you have You Tube and MySpace giving people videos on demand, they even did away with TRL live, which at least was a live venue for new bands. But with at least 6 late night talk shows, they have a lot of places to go. And we're in a time when people are once again turning to music as a place for comfort as well as a place to vent frustration. The industry has been looking for the next Nirvana for 20 years, the next GNR for even longer. Sorry, but there is no "next big thing" the way there used to be, except on Idol, and even that's far from a safe place. You can count on one hand who has done well from the show.

the l in trl stands for live, so you don't need to say l after.

cobain is awesome.

radiohead is one of the best rock bands ever so i don't see how rock is dead.

OMG people Kurt Cobain had nothing to do with it. It was all MTV. MTV knew that grunge was a market that could collapse at any moment. So that's why they decided to completely ditch rock in general and start pushing rap and r'n'b on people.

Edited by starwars

OMG people Kurt Cobain had nothing to do with it. It was all MTV. MTV knew that grunge was a market that could collapse at any moment. So that's why they decided to completely ditch rock in general and start pushing rap and r'n'b on people.

Who made grunge music big? Nirvana. Fuck that shit, who gives a fuck about glam/hair/trash metal lasting for 10+ years, it was great. It's really hard to listen to a bad song on MTV in the 80's. Well I'm amusing on that because apparently my brother owns a huge collection of MTV Shows. Cobain is a little piece of shit, he is nothing more then a little poser. God, I wish Axl would've just kicked his ass. Rock music is not dead because there is a lot of good undiscovered bands but thanks to the record companies and TV companies, they want grunge, why? Apparently it sells. Though critics seem to bash it a lot.

It only makes me think, what will happen to music when all our legendary bands die or just call it quits. Hopefully music would change before that ever happens. The mid/late 90's was a horrible era for music, pop and rap got famous.

Oh by the way, I believe Cobain is rotting because obviously, killing yourself is a major sin. Enough said.

Edited by GnRIzzy

Who made grunge music big? Nirvana. Fuck that shit, who gives a fuck about glam/hair/trash metal lasting for 10+ years, it was great. It's really hard to listen to a bad song on MTV in the 80's. Cobain is a little piece of shit, he is nothing more then a little poser. God, I wish Axl would've just kicked his ass. Rock music is not dead because there is a lot of good undiscovered bands but thanks to the record companies and TV companies, they want grunge, why? Apparently it sells. Though critics seem to bash it a lot.

It only makes me think, what will happen to music when all our legendary bands die or just call it quits. Hopefully music would change before that ever happens. The mid/late 90's was a horrible era for music, pop and rap got famous.

Oh by the way, I believe Cobain is rotting because obviously, killing yourself is a major sin. Enough said.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. You're a moron. lol

Who made grunge music big? Nirvana. Fuck that shit, who gives a fuck about glam/hair/trash metal lasting for 10+ years, it was great. It's really hard to listen to a bad song on MTV in the 80's. Cobain is a little piece of shit, he is nothing more then a little poser. God, I wish Axl would've just kicked his ass. Rock music is not dead because there is a lot of good undiscovered bands but thanks to the record companies and TV companies, they want grunge, why? Apparently it sells. Though critics seem to bash it a lot.

dude the 80s was the worst decade for music in the past 50 years except for maybe the 2000s. the 90s were awesome. nirvana was an awesome band.

killing yourself is a major sin? god doesn't exist, nor does heaven or hell.

90s>80s

cobain is more of a rock star than any of those horrible hair "musicians" will ever be

Yeah and your a little kid who can't define the word talent nor claim what talent is. 80's>90's. I recommend a music class for you.

Cobain is a pussy. Here is why..

Stealing riffs from here and there,

getting punked out by Axl.

killing himself.

creating the worst genre in music history.

acts like a mental douche.

Immature lyrics that only a 4 year old would come up with.

Selling himself out.

So please fail miserably at trying to explain to me why Cobain isn't a pussy because the list is endless.

Yeah and your a little kid who can't define the word talent nor claim what talent is. 80's>90's. I recommend a music class for you.

killing himself.

Selling himself out.

So please fail miserably at trying to explain to me why Cobain isn't a pussy because the list is endless.

you recommend a music class? i go to berklee college of music, fuckhead, 90% of classes i take are music related.

and you disliking cobain is just an opinion, i don't care what you think of him, i used to dislike him but i eventually got really into nirvana. you probably listen to poison.

killing himself.

Selling himself out.

Wow, you sound fucking crazy. Are you on meds? It seems like you have a severe trauma over Nirvana and Kurt Cobain.

What the fuck man?

killing himself.

Selling himself out.

you recommend a music class? i go to berklee college of music, fuckhead, 90% of classes i take are music related.

and you disliking cobain is just an opinion, i don't care what you think of him, i used to dislike him but i eventually got really into nirvana. you probably listen to poison.

Posion, no? Bret is a hasbeen in my eyes. I listen to glam, trash, hair, and hard rock. Nothing is wrong with that. I remember when The Spagethi Incident came out, I didn't know music at all until I heard of a cool name, Guns N' Roses. I liked the album and got hooked on RnR, then I discovered, GnR changed everything. Though you don't need to get all angry. Also this is a Guns N Roses forum, the reason why I can't like Cobain is because I have too much respect for Guns N' Roses to do that. Yeah it's silly but Cobain was stirring up trouble, fucking with Axl for no reason. At the end of the day, some of you think Cobain is good, I think he is a pussy, and some just don't give a fuck. It's impossible for us to win in this discussion because it's completely opinion based. All I was trying to say is why I think Cobain is a pussy.

Edited by GnRIzzy

It's impossible for us to win in this discussion because it's completely opinion based.
All I was trying to say is why I think Cobain is a pussy

There you go.

Then why were you trying to prove it to everyone? It's an opinion.

That's why I edited it. :blink:

Great, another middle aged idiot who thinks Hysteria is the musical highlight of the past few decades. "I recommend music class for you"? In musical classes they definitely don't teach you how to be a 30/40 year old that is bitter because the music he partied to and got laid to 20 years ago has become irrelevant and dated. Yeah, it sounds good when you're shitfaced, but after ten years of cheesiness, crap lyrics and fabricated bubblegum metal, it was about time that genre died out.

It's impossible for us to win in this discussion because it's completely opinion based.
All I was trying to say is why I think Cobain is a pussy

There you go.

Then why were you trying to prove it to everyone? It's an opinion.

That's why I edited it. :blink:

Ahh fuck, sorry, didn't realize the word edit.

All the world needs is the correct balance of ingredients. if we got a new frontman, a singer who is truly epic and emotive and has appealing charisma to everyone, then MTV will pick up on it and batta bing batta boom, rock is cool again. Give it time. Patience is a virtue...and a GNR tune...

That is IT. There is no Diamond Daves, no Bobby Plants, no screaming Stevens, no flamboyant Freddies, and no raging Axl's. That is what rock is missing. A Frontman.