The Beach Boys

Leisure Rules

I love TONS of their shit, all their early surf stuff. Really love that old Jan and Dean/Dick Dale shit :):) Never heard Pet Sounds though...i know thats strange, i know the rep of it and anything i just...never got around to it i suppose. I hear its a drastic departure from their early style and i really dig their early style sooo...y'know..

Pet Sounds is an excellent starting point, that's where I started myself. But when looking back, I kinda regret not getting a best of or something covering their early hits, so that I would have gotten a proper chronological introduction; a band like The Beach Boys deserve that.

I love TONS of their shit, all their early surf stuff. Really love that old Jan and Dean/Dick Dale shit :):) Never heard Pet Sounds though...i know thats strange, i know the rep of it and anything i just...never got around to it i suppose. I hear its a drastic departure from their early style and i really dig their early style sooo...y'know..

Dude, you've gotta stop letting stuff like that turn you away from checking out fantastic alums like Pet Sounds. I will personally guarantee that you'll love it. ;) Remember how you told Chris that you would buy him Nevermind if you could, that it's that good of a record? I'd do the same for you with Pet Sounds - it's that good. :)

Dude, you've gotta stop letting stuff like that turn you away from checking out fantastic alums like Pet Sounds. I will personally guarantee that you'll love it. ;) Remember how you told Chris that you would buy him Nevermind if you could, that it's that good of a record? I'd do the same for you with Pet Sounds - it's that good. :)

listenin to it now :)

Guest deleted_19765

^ :rofl-lol:

Hey Lith, do I need some 70s Beach Boys (or solo albums) to expand my understanding of down and out Americana in popular song? I have a feeling that I do.

Except for Surf's Up and Sunflower, what I have heard of their '70s stuff is mediocre to avoidable. Although I haven't heard it, I hear Love You (1977) is a pretty good album. I don't know if it can expand your understanding of Americana, but by looking at the tracklist on Allmusic, at least it looks Americana. :shrugs:

OH, and of course - get Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue. A deluxe reissue came out last year with a disc featuring a lot of cool stuff from his unreleased Bambu album.

Edited by Lithium

The Beach Boys are quite simply the greatest band of all time, I own all their albums all the solo stuff, and what they did for music will never be copied.

Must Have Albums.

Today!

Summer Days Summer Nights

Pet Sounds Duh

Sunflower

Wild Honey

Surf's up

Smile, get your hands on bootlegs

Love You

All Summer Long

So many fucking great albums, BEST EVER!!!

Brian Wilson at his best

Must Watch

God bless Brian Wilson

Edited by axl_on_drums

My favorite band!

My favorites are Pet Sounds, Smile, Wild Honey, and Smiley Smile.

I wouldn't recommend listening to Smiley Smile until you're thoroughly involved with the beach boys. The record is somewhat disturbing. In a good way though.

That box set is a good buy. If you want to get into the beach boys, it's def worth getting. Kind of a crash course.

My favorite band!

My favorites are Pet Sounds, Smile, Wild Honey, and Smiley Smile.

I wouldn't recommend listening to Smiley Smile until you're thoroughly involved with the beach boys. The record is somewhat disturbing. In a good way though.

That box set is a good buy. If you want to get into the beach boys, it's def worth getting. Kind of a crash course.

Another smiley smile fan, wonderful.

Quite amazing how they went from singing about cars and surf, to making pretty much the greatest stoner album of all time.

Here's my recommendations:

Good Vibrations - Thirty Years of the Beach Boys. 5 CD set that covers everything from "Surfin" to "Kokomo" and a lot of rare stuff.

Endless Harmony - taken from the documentary about the band, has even more rare stuff.

Endless Summer - Still the best compilation of their heyday.

Sights And Sounds of Summer (CD/DVD) or Sounds of Summer - 1 CD collection that has a little of something for everyone, and not in chronologic order. Has the best cuts from "Pet Sounds" plus most of the hits.

The Beach Boys Classics - Picked by Brian Wilson... not the typical "hits", it's more about Brian's personal favorites, which makes it worth getting.

Pet Sounds - has been released in all sorts of configurations, including a box set and Brian doing it in recent years. The box set's impressive but so is Pet Sounds in surround sound.

Summer Days and Summer Nights/Today - are great, you can hear the roots of "Pet Sounds" on both albums.

Smiley Smile to Holland, then skip to Love You.... Carl Wilson, Mike Live, and especially Dennis Wilson take the front seat on a bulk of songs, and if I was to pick the best out of this era, it's Sunflower, without a doubt. Carl and the Passions, Surfs Up, and Wild Honey, all great.

Beach Boys in Concert (1973) shows what made them a big draw in the early 70s that was still coming out with music. Once Endless Summer came out, they turned into the oldies act we now know.

Solo:

Brian's solo output over the past 20 years has been decent, but the one that gets the most attention was "Smile". I kind of wish they used the original vocals,but the fact that he was able to finish it with some help allowed him to put it behind him. But it is one I hope they can use the original vocals and music at some point. But I like "Love and Mercy" a lot and "That Lucky Old Sun", and "Orange Crate Art".

Dennis Wilson "Pacific Ocean Blue". One of my favorites.

Guest deleted_19765
OH, and of course - get Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue. A deluxe reissue came out last year with a disc featuring a lot of cool stuff from his unreleased Bambu album.

Listened to this last night. Wow.