Home Studio/Recording

Hey all, thanks for checking out this thread. I'm looking to set up my own recording area at home, and I'm looking for online articles, suggestions, advice, help, recommendations....anything really, as to what gear you all use or know of. I'm currently looking to build a new PC as well so would be good to know of sound cards, interfaces that are highly recommended also.

I'm aware of Pro Tools & Guitar Rig by name mostly, but I'm aware there are also lots of alternatives out there. So if anyone's explaining anything, try to imagine the person reading it would have no knowledge whatsoever about this stuff :).

Any help is greatly appreciated, and usernames will be used in the album credits for future multi-platinum selling albums :rofl-lol:

P.S. I play guitar and bass

Edited by BLSMonty

Hey all, thanks for checking out this thread. I'm looking to set up my own recording area at home, and I'm looking for online articles, suggestions, advice, help, recommendations....anything really, as to what gear you all use or know of. I'm currently looking to build a new PC as well so would be good to know of sound cards, interfaces that are highly recommended also.

I'm aware of Pro Tools & Guitar Rig by name mostly, but I'm aware there are also lots of alternatives out there. So if anyone's explaining anything, try to imagine the person reading it would have no knowledge whatsoever about this stuff :).

Any help is greatly appreciated, and usernames will be used in the album credits for future multi-platinum selling albums :rofl-lol:

Okay, first off, what instruments will you be recording? I was a beginner at this a few weeks ago as well, so my apologies if I'm not making myself clear enough.

A while ago, I bought a recording interface called Presonus Inspire which has four line-ins (two guitar/bass, two vocals) and the sound is simply superb. It's external so you just plug in a firewire cable from it into the computer, and you're good to go.

presonusinspire_l.jpg

If you wanna hear how it can sound like, listen to the song called "I Believe In You (work in progress)" on this profile: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Demon+Wolf/

It's been recorded exclusively with the Inspire (bar the drums which were made with a VST called Addictive Drums) so it'll give you a good idea of the sound you can achieve. It hasn't been mixed or anything.

The microphone I am using is a Shure SM57, mainly a microphone for recording instruments and amps, but it does vocals nice as well.

shure_sm57.jpg

Another important thing is to have a good DAW (basically the program you record in, mix, etc). I'm using Adobe Audition which is fantastic, there is also Cubase, Reaper, Sonar, etc. It helps to have plenty of RAM on the computer for latency-free recording.

Hope this helps a bit!

I would suggest if you're getting a new computer to get a mac and get Logic Pro 8.

I started using it a few months ago and I am hooked! So many great plugins.

You'll also need a USB or Firewire interface for mics. Apogee Duet is highly recommended.

For vocals, if you want a real professional sound, you should probably get a good condenser mic. There is an inexpensive mic used for Radio DJs, an SM7...You can get one for $300. Many people in recording love those mics.

For amps and acoustics the Shure 57 is still one of the most popular choices.

What are you doing for drums? A real kit or are you hoping to use samples? For samples look up BFD and Drumkit from Hell (hard rock drums). They are real drums recorded in a studio that you can use in midi format. They are amazing and I use them right now.

For tunes I made before, I'd program the drums in Guitar Pro, and I would give the midi track to the guy who helped me record it, and he'd basically give it a more realtistic drum sound from all his mad keyboards/racks/etc. I was just going to use that way again, I have no room to be recording drums live.