Best Swedish band? Part III

Guest Iron Fist SS

Best Swedish Black Metal / Death Metal?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Remember these threads? Best Swedish band? Part I, no metal-bands & Best Swedish band Part II, no pop-bands

Here comes a new one.

There were some bands that I wanted to have in, but who I had to leave out because there could just be ten bands in the poll. Here are some of them, just from my head:

Vintersorg

Morbid

Entombed

Naglfar

Satanic Slaughter

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

It was a hard choice between In Flames and Dissection for me. I know I voted for In Flames in the last thread, but I picked Dissection now.

They have done the two probably best Swedish metal-albums ever in Storm of the Light's Bane (Dissection) and The Jester Race (In Flames).

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

In Fucking Flames We Trust! best metal band in the world, period. Actually In my opinion, they're parallel with Guns N Roses for best band in the world. they wrote The Jester Race, enough said.

Watch that and tell me it's not stunning. "Now let's dance!"

Opeth. I generally hate death metal but their creativity and compositions are killer. Watershed was a fucking immense record, in spite of the screaming (why do people feel the urge to make noises like a dying bear for vocals...I'll never know).

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

No Norwegian bands are better than the five best (In Flames, Dissection, At The Gates, Dark Tranquillity and Opeth) at that list. In any category.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

i guess opeth et al are cool if you're still going through the phase where tool is your favorite band.

Tool are shite (in my opinion). I'm no big fan of Opeth but their talented instrumentally, you've got to admit that. Even I do, and that's inspite of the screaming, which like I said earlier I've never got why metal bands have these fuckin stupid melodramatic moaners for vocalists. There's no creativity or musical appeal in someone going "roooooooooaaaarrrr".

i guess opeth et al are cool if you're still going through the phase where tool is your favorite band.

Tool are shite (in my opinion). I'm no big fan of Opeth but their talented instrumentally, you've got to admit that. Even I do, and that's inspite of the screaming, which like I said earlier I've never got why metal bands have these fuckin stupid melodramatic moaners for vocalists. There's no creativity or musical appeal in someone going "roooooooooaaaarrrr".

It's all about getting across an emotion, using growls and screams to convey anger or distress (which is pretty often what these sorts of songs are about) grabs your attention, and provided it's done well really compliments the songs. I love metal bands that have an almost schizophrenic aspect of beautiful melody in the instruments contrasted with an all out roar on the vocals, or amazing melody/harmony on the vocals above a huge thunderous wall of noise. It's just a way of altering the dynamics.

Watch that In Flames clip I put up, the second verse towards the end, Anders starts with really clean, smooth vocals, starts to subtly build and then explodes. It's a powerful moment and should hopefully help you "get" why some bands do it.

It's all about getting across an emotion, using growls and screams to convey anger or distress (which is pretty often what these sorts of songs are about) grabs your attention, and provided it's done well really compliments the songs. I love metal bands that have an almost schizophrenic aspect of beautiful melody in the instruments contrasted with an all out roar on the vocals, or amazing melody/harmony on the vocals above a huge thunderous wall of noise. It's just a way of altering the dynamics.

Watch that In Flames clip I put up, the second verse towards the end, Anders starts with really clean, smooth vocals, starts to subtly build and then explodes. It's a powerful moment and should hopefully help you "get" why some bands do it.

That was quite a performance. I'll agree now that screaming can be used to add to a song, it's just more the sort of general stereotypical roaring for the sake of it I don't like - think "fuck you all" at the start of Machine Head's Beautiful Morning (though I still think The Blackening is one of metal's best records). Cheers for the recommendation, I'll check out more In Flames.