trying to choose a new york dolls album.

Bucketslash

The first one man...by all means.

However...if slick(er) production is going to turn your crank,Too Much Too Soon is the place to start.

It's a little more ear friendly in that regard.

The debut album has more of a DIY vibe about it.

But if you're weighing in on the songs first and foremost...you gotta go with the first album.

First, no fuckin question, every songs a fuckin gem really. and Todd Rundgrens non-participative production policy really helps the matierial cuz its so fuckin raw. Jet Boy is the most beautifullest rock n roll riff ever, i wish i knew how to play it. Fuckin Trash too, how perfect is that song? Vietnamese Baby, Lonely Planet Boy, Pills, the shit is fuckin endless.

First one, easily. They're both really great but the first one is a landmark album, and one of the greatest records to come out of the USA.

Absolutely the first one (assuming that's the one w./ Frankenstein, Personality Crisis, etc...) Found it used on vinyl years ago

Definatly the first one.

And yes Rodzilla it is the one with Frankenstein and Personality Crisis.

Shit, i didn't know you liked the Dolls, i like you even more now :D

:D

Yeah I like them. Not a huge fan but I really do like them. After Spaghetti Incident came out I had to check em out and really liked them.

Edited by Becket

Definatly the first one.

And yes Rodzilla it is the one with Frankenstein and Personality Crisis.

Shit, i didn't know you liked the Dolls, i like you even more now :D

:D

Yeah I like them. Not a huge fan but I really do like them. After Spaghetti Incident came out I had to check em out and really liked them.

They're actually a total Stones clone...they're the Stones kinda...with all the rough elements taken to the Nth degree. I heard in their early early days Mick was scouting em for Rolling Stones Records and his comments were something like: "Yeah...the New York Dolls, we were interested in them but...i went to see them and...i didn't think much of their lead singer" which is an amusing thing cuz he's pretty much a kinda Mick clone...he definitely came into his own and found his own feet and everything but...the whole preening pouting kinda thing...even visually...i'm not saying he actually looks like Mick or anything and maybe clone is over stating the point but he's definitely influenced heavily by Mick. Same could be said about Johnny and Keef.

I also like how, apparently, early on for record companies at that kinda time the Dolls and Aerosmith were like the up and coming bands and there was almost like this "who should we hop on" conflict going on with these companies and it was like hmmmm, whoose more palleatable, Aerosmith who are kinda like a heavier american Stones or the Dolls who are like these fucked up junkie/alcoholic drag queens from New York City that are gonna offend anybody and everybody, whoose gonna last longer, whoose gonna sell more and be a safer investment? And they picked Aerosmith..

The New York Dolls may have been the ultimate rock band.

You should give The Heartbreakers a try if you haven't already ;)

I love The Heartbreakers too, and Johnny Thunders in general (though obviously not everything he's done :P ). I think we've discussed them, and punk in general, lots of times although it was some time ago. I had a different username then too.

Edited by Soulseller