Pink Floyd

Powerage5

Try listen to The Final Cut! One of their best albums IMO.

Definitely! The lyrics are so powerful and Waters' voice conveys emotion better than most singers despite him not being technically very good.

Thanks! Finally someone who agreed with me on that. I've heard so many people say "the final cut isn't very good. It's just wannabe the wall". Well, many of the song were meant to be on the wall.. But so what, it's an amazing album!

I was going to mention that the topic starter check out Final Cut, I love it, one of my favorite Floyd ones, but I don't think he would like it judging from what he said in his first post. I think he would find it boring. I personaly don't think it is though.

Edited by Becket

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely! The lyrics are so powerful and Waters' voice conveys emotion better than most singers despite him not being technically very good.

Thanks! Finally someone who agreed with me on that. I've heard so many people say "the final cut isn't very good. It's just wannabe the wall". Well, many of the song were meant to be on the wall.. But so what, it's an amazing album!

Definitely, I recently turned a friend of mine onto it after him refusing to listen to it for a long time simply because he thought it was too much about the lyrics, and when he finally did listen to it properly he loved it!

Songs likes The Gunner's Dream are right up there with classics like Shine On You Crazy Diamond imo, Waters sounds amazing on that album.

I was going to mention that the topic starter check out Final Cut, I love it, one of my favorite Floyd ones, but I don't think he would like it judging from what he said in his first post. I think he would find it boring. I personaly don't think it is though.

Yeah you have a good point there. But still I think final cut is very different to all the other floyd albums.

Definitely, I recently turned a friend of mine onto it after him refusing to listen to it for a long time simply because he thought it was too much about the lyrics, and when he finally did listen to it properly he loved it!

Songs likes The Gunner's Dream are right up there with classics like Shine On You Crazy Diamond imo, Waters sounds amazing on that album.

Agreed, Waters really is amazing on that album yeah. The song I likes best have to be Not Now John I think.. It's so not floyd style, but at same time it's very floyd style.. I'm sure you know what I mean. :P And I'm glad When the tigers broke free is on the re-released album. One of my all time pink floyd favourite!

I love The Final Cut, I think that Roger wrote some fascinating lyrics. They are so fucking deep, it is unbelievable. Defienately some of the best lyrics written in music history. I really do believe that when it comes to concepts and lyrics, Roger Waters is a genius.

The only thing I don't like about the Final Cut is that it so depressing. If I start listening to much of it, I just want to kill myself. I mean The Final Cut is the most depressing album of all time, that I have heard anyway. The whole album is just filled with anger and sadness, much like The Wall.

I mean just read these fucking lyrics:

Through the fish eyed lens of tear stained eyes

I can barely define the shape of this moment in time

and far from flying high in clear blue skies

I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide

If you negotiate the minefield in the drive

and beat the dogs and cheat the cold electronic eyes

and if you make it past the shotgun in the hall

dial the combination open the priesthole

and if I'm in I'll tell you what's behind the wall

There's a kid who had a big hallucination

making love to girls in magazines

he wonders if you're sleeping with your new found faith

could anybody love him

or is it just a grazy dream

And if I show you my dark side

will you still hold me tonight

and if I open my heart to you

and show you my weak side

what would you do

would you sell your story to rolling stone

would you take the children away

and leave me alone

and smile in reassurance

as you whisper down the phone

would you send me packing

or would you take me home

Thought I oughta bare my naked feelings

Thought I oughta tear the curtain down

I held the blade in trembling hands

prepared to make it but just then the phone rang

I never had the nerve to make the final cut

I mean you can't get any more depressing than that.

Edited by coolio GNR

I love The Final Cut, I think that Roger wrote some fascinating lyrics. They are so fucking deep, it is unbelievable. Defienately some of the best lyrics written in music history. I really do believe that when it comes to concepts and lyrics, Roger Waters is a genius.

The only thing I don't like about the Final Cut is that it so depressing. If I start listening to much of it, I just want to kill myself. I mean The Final Cut is the most depressing album of all time, that I have heard anyway. The whole album is just filled with anger and sadness, much like The Wall.

this is one of the reasons why I really have to be in right mood when I'm listening to pink floyd. Sometimes I get so sad, I just have to switch to another band. even though I'm just listening to wish you were here, I gets sad cause I know it's all about Barret.

this band is just a-m-a-z-i-n-g. That someone can convey feeling like that is crazy.

Listening to the two Gilmour-led Floyd albums that came after The Final Cut really makes you realise what a giant hole Waters left with his departure. There are great moments on both of those albums imo and in no way are they bad, but the lyrics are so lacking in comparison to what Roger could come up with that they do seem very... lacking.

Although I do love pretty much all of Pink Floyd's albums, their run from Meddle in 1971 to The Final Cut in 1983 is about as perfect as it gets, just a string of consistently amazing records, all of them very different yet all of them still distinctly Floydian. :wub:

THIS BAND IS UNBELIEVABLE! I had to scream it, got a kick. :P

But just to mention it. When I started listening to pink floyd (which not is many years ago, I'm still only a teenager), my first thought was "wtf is this". I remember I didn' like what I heard. I couldn't see the power PF have. I remember listening to Dogs, and I couldn't stand the dogs yepl. And it took me a while getting into them.

I think pink floyd is a band which take time to get into. Now I love them, and can't see why I didn't started listen to them earlyer. Aaaand, Dogs is one of my favourite pf songs.

Has anybody ever heard one of Roger Waters' first solo albums (he did it while he was still in Floyd, toward the earlier days), I think it was called The Body or something like that, and he makes "music" out of fart noises and that sort of thing :lol: It's pretty terrible, but pretty funny, too.

the final cut is like no other album i ever heard. i played it on my record player in 1984, over and over ... i was already into the smack at that stage. i was 20 and lived alone in a one bedroom flat.. smoked bongs through the night as i lay on the lounge listening to these surreal songs.

i still have that album and whenever i listen to it, it still does the same crazy things to me even though i don't take drugs anymore. The gunner's dream particularly brings it all back, and i gotta agree with Scaramouche for pointing out not now john

What do I see in them, you ask? I see true music....artists with a vision.Music that can transcend any of the crap that leaks it's way out of our speakers today. Pink Floyd is my Xanadu.

There's still plenty of great music being created today. that's just a very silly statement.

What do I see in them, you ask? I see true music....artists with a vision.Music that can transcend any of the crap that leaks it's way out of our speakers today. Pink Floyd is my Xanadu.

There's still plenty of great music being created today. that's just a very silly statement.

Eh, from what I have heard recently, it's all targeted towards a particular audience....whether you would like to agree or not. Im talking mainstream artists. It all appeals to the teenage jonas brother-crazed girls or the 'skater' boys. It's catchy...the tunes are very danceable. Pink Floyd's lyrics are actually meaningful. I haven't heard many artists of the like. A few I can count on one hand would be Michael Buble, Mika, err im running out of names.

Thank god for Pearl Jam's new song, and the few artists that I do think are worthwhile otherwise I would be damned to musical hell.

pink floyd sound awful when you are high.

and apart from Syd Barret, pink floyd were never ever a drug orientated band.

to each their own though.

Yeah you have a good point there. But still I think final cut is very different to all the other floyd albums.

The Final Cut is the perfect come down album after the wall.

it's so minimalistic and powerful at the same time.

People bash it because it's essentially a Roger Waters solo album.

Beautiful album.