Beatles Remasters

Zint

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Stereo means that the sound comes from two "channels" or what you would call it, while mono is just from one. If that's what you mean. :unsure:

Stereo:

250px-2_0_channels_(stereo)_label.svg.png

Mono:

250px-1_0_channels_(mono)_label.svg.png

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference between mono and stereo is that in mono, the sound coming out of the speakers are the same, while in stereo, one part of the sound, say the guitar part, comes out from one speaker, while another part, like the vocals, come out of the other.

Edited by Lithium

Stereo means that the sound comes from two "channels" or what you would call it, while mono is just from one. If that's what you mean. :unsure:

Stereo:

250px-2_0_channels_(stereo)_label.svg.png

Mono:

250px-1_0_channels_(mono)_label.svg.png

Yeah, thats what i meant, thank you :)

The difference between mono and stereo is that in mono, the sound coming out of the speakers are the same, while in stereo, one part of the sound, say the guitar part, comes out from one speaker, while another part, like the vocals, come put of the other.

Got it, thats what i meant, yeah :) I prefer mono then :):)

Edited by dirtylenny

Stereo is better for songs actually recorded in Stereo. For the Beatles it sounds like shit.

True.

Obviously you'd rather have - say - Nirvana in stereo because that is how it was intended and recorded. But a lot of music from the 50s and 60s -such as The Beatles - has not been able to make the transition to stereo. It's always seems to sound...wrong.

* if you don't believe what we're sayin go get the Capitol Albums boxset where you get both types. I think I listened to the stereo side once and never again.

remastered mono will sound sweet. I may purchase.

Edited by ARC

Are the Mono versions really THAT much better than Stereo?

I'm considering the pros and cons of each boxset at the moment and although I want all of the albums and the DVD you get with the Stereo box, all this talk of the Mono being far superior is making me wonder if I should opt for the other boxset. :question:

Are the Mono versions really THAT much better than Stereo?

I'm considering the pros and cons of each boxset at the moment and although I want all of the albums and the DVD you get with the Stereo box, all this talk of the Mono being far superior is making me wonder if I should opt for the other boxset. :question:

Well I must say that I have not heard THIS stereo mix, so I cannot comment directly on it. It may be very good. It's just that all the stereo mixes of The Beatles I've heard in the past have been pretty poor. Maybe this one is different... I'm sure it's possible to do a good stereo mix. I've just yet to hear it...

Sorry if that doesn't help you very much. Is it possible to listen to samples of both before you buy?

So wait. Was the song "Yellow Submarine" recorded in stereo or not? Because it came out on Revolver I believe, but the album Yellow Submarine also has it, and that was recorded in stereo.

basic recording- 26 May 1966

additional recording- 26 May, 1 Jun 1966

master tape- 4 track 2d generation

mono-mixed: 3 Jun 1966

stereo-mixed: 22 Jun 1966, remixed in 1995 for "Anthology 2", remastered and remixed in 1999 for the "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" release. Digitally remixed in 2000 for "1"

Is what my Beatles discography book says.

At the moment I'm looking at buying the Mono boxset, then buying Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and Let It Be seperately, although that'll cost me £230... as opposed to buying just the Stereo box, which would only be £170... although the more I hear about the Beatles attending the sessions for the Mono mixes but never being there for the Stereo ones, the more I feel like Mono is the only way to go here.

True Beatles fans wouldn't need these anyway as they'd have Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr locked up in the basement to play the songs whenever they please. :krider:

Theoretically - following Axl Rose's lead - Paul McCartney could hire Frank Ferrer, DJ Ashba and Richard Fortus and tour as 'The Beatles'...

I wonder if that would go down well with the public...

True Beatles fans wouldn't need these anyway as they'd have Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr locked up in the basement to play the songs whenever they please. :krider:

Theoretically - following Axl Rose's lead - Paul McCartney could hire Frank Ferrer, DJ Ashba and Richard Fortus and tour as 'The Beatles'...

I wonder if that would go down well with the public...

Never compare The Beatles or Paul McCartney to Axl Rose and Gnr again. Or I will hunt you down and destroy..

your self esteem. :shrugs:

Found these comments about mono Sgt. Pepper:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I once heard a clean bootleg of Sgt Peppers in mono... the mix is very elegant and exquisite, so I'm imagining these new mono releases will be beautiful indeed. The Sgt Peppers sounded somehow more artistic than its widely distributed stereo version and I'm sure these new mono releases will be super clean and in a word... "tasty".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a CD made from a mono version of Sgt. Pepper and Magical Myster Tour. Both were taken from vinyl. My friend who made the copies for me asked me after a few songs of Magical what I thought and I said they sound like trippier/druggy mixes than the stereo version and he said that's what he thought also. There is actually more going on in the mixes than the stereo versions and they sound quite different with little details that are distinct to the mono versions. I was hoping they would make the mono CDs available individually, but it appears the box set or nothing.

................................................................................

The difference between mono and stereo is that in mono, the sound coming out of the speakers are the same, while in stereo, one part of the sound, say the guitar part, comes out from one speaker, while another part, like the vocals, come out of the other.

I'm not totally clear on the two, but after reading a bit on wikipedia I think they can be summarized like this:

Mono: one microphone is used to record the band and therefore the entire song. When music is played back, there is only this one recording, so both speakers receive the exact same info.

Stereo: Two microphones are used. Because they are in different places within the studio, they capture the same sound but they will be in slightly different time and certain sounds will be louder in one mic than in the other. Thus there are two recordings, one goes to the first speaker and the other to the second speaker. The timing and volume of each specific sound will have slight variations, it is these variations that allows our brain to somewhat place the relative positions of the recorded objects.

Is this their entire catalog? I'm tempted to buy, but I've spent more than enough money lately.

That first opinion you posted almost makes it seem that mono is clearly the way to go, no matter what stereo benefits are present.

Now that I look at the list of albums on each I see it cannot be the entire catalog, since the lists are different. At least for the mono, which has less albums included.

I'm glad I picked up the Zeppelin SHM box set, but then again I'm a bigger Led Zep fan than a Beatles fan.

You into hi-fi at all, zint?

Not into hi-fi the way I'd like to be.

But I've always paid close attention to your posts about it.

I'll go high end one of these days.

Is this their entire catalog? I'm tempted to buy, but I've spent more than enough money lately.

That first opinion you posted almost makes it seem that mono is clearly the way to go, no matter what stereo benefits are present.

Now that I look at the list of albums on each I see it cannot be the entire catalog, since the lists are different. At least for the mono, which has less albums included.

I'm glad I picked up the Zeppelin SHM box set, but then again I'm a bigger Led Zep fan than a Beatles fan.

You into hi-fi at all, zint?

Not into hi-fi the way I'd like to be.

But I've always paid close attention to your posts about it.

I'll go high end one of these days.

It can be fun but the urge to upgrade can be a little dangerous. Anyways, you don't have to spend too much. $2,000 can get you something really nice (CD Player, amp, speakers), but you can put together a really good budget system for close to $1,000. The key is to buy used or buy new gear that is on sale. There are great offers all the time. A lot of people will put together a system one piece at a time, rather than one large lump sum purchase. Of course you can also spend a heck of a lot more.

I'm no expert but I've learned a little bit and can always offer an opinion if you want one.

Edited by KBear