Beatles Remasters

Zint

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just said this to Ketchup... on MSN, that I met a guy who worked at Abbey Road while the remasters were being done. He said they spent over £1million on building a brand new, state-of-the-art studio in Abbey Road, and for 4 years constantly worked on the entire catalogue. They had Beatles fanatic, historians and engineers remastering the parts, and went as far as working out how much reverb the original room would have had, placing mics in the exact same spots as the originals. Surely stereo can't be that bad? For that amount of effort, I'd have thought Stereo would be great.

http://goodrob13.com/2009/04/26/the-beatle...ming-sept-2009/ And these clips can help you make your mind up.

I've been listening to these clips for days,and I also do have the Capital stereo/mono releases.

I like both stereo and mono but I'm still leaning toward mono.

But the thing is with those clips is none of them represent what we will get from the remasters.

With the mono we already have,everything was mixed to sound central.Apparantly the approach they took with the remasters was to remix the mono...not just have everything sound central.

It's like they've they've created a sonic panoramic "landscape" in mono...giving everything room to breath,but not sound as jarring as the stereo mixes.

You can only use the sample clips at that link as a rough guideline.

Same with the Capital releases,can't judge by those either...they are U.S. mixes and apprantly not from source.

What I have noticed with mono is that you get a far richer bass sound and unique nuances lost in the stereo mixes.

I'm definitely getting mono...already preordered.

BUT...the stereo mixes have their points as well.The seperation makes for a noticeble clarity over the mono mixes in certain ways.But the vocals in one speaker and guitars sounding on the other side is kinda awkward to me.

I'm just more comfortable with the mono mixes.

Apparantly the mono box set will be a limited production (NOT limited to 10,000 I'm now hearing) but it will become harder to obtain over time.

So I'm starting there...eventually the stereo box set will start to fluctuate in price and I'll get that as well if the price drops.

So this stereo boxset that's coming out... that whole 'vox in one speaker, instruments in the other' thing will be present on those CDs? If so, I'm thinking mono because it's very distracting listening to songs from the earlier albums with the vocals only coming from one speaker, particularly in headphones.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody who is considering getting the mono set,but aren't quite sure...you might want to consider this

Amazon.com is now SOLD OUT of the mono box set

And that's just the preorder!

It looks like there is something to this limited edition for the mono box afterall.

Once the word spreads the demand is going to increase to get this...even if only by the fine folks who will buy it just to sell it for three times the value.

So if you see it elsewhere still available for preorder.... you might just want to consider it.

Remember...you can always get the stereo set later if you feel so inclined,it's not going out of print!

Glad I got my preorder in for the mono box!

• 2 weeks later...

The L.A. Times music blog

Remastered Beatles CDs: A sneak preview

August 25, 2009 | 12:01 am

How do the newly remastered Beatles CDs sound?

As one who got a sneak preview recently at Capitol Records in Hollywood, let me boil it down to one word: Fab.

They offer something that might have seemed nearly impossible so many years down the line: a fresh listen.

Two of EMI Records’ engineers who have overseen the remasters, Allen Rouse and Guy Massey, were on hand to A:B the new versions against the CDs that Beatles fans have been accustomed to since they were first issued 22 years ago.

Three of us — I was joined by writers for a couple of audiophile magazines — listened to a CD that included portions of new and old versions of 14 songs spanning the group’s recording career.

Calendar will have an in-depth piece in Sunday's Arts & Music section looking behind the scenes of the remastering process as well as a glimpse into the Fab Four’s entry into the world of videogames through The Beatles: Rock Band.

But here are a few observations from the preview session:

• “Till There Was You”: On the ’87 CD, Paul McCartney’s voice still sounds dreamily mellow, somewhat masked, on the Meredith Willson love song from “The Music Man”; the new version brings out more fullness in his voice, as well as more crispness in the percussion work.

• “Eight Days A Week”: This exuberant track sounded immediately compressed in the old CD master; the new one gains openness and adds noticeable presence to the signature hand claps.

• “Yesterday”: Remastering can’t alter the beauty of McCartney’s classic lament, but now the pluck of his fingers on the strings of his acoustic guitar is even more visceral.

• “In My Life”: As in many of the previewed tracks, it’s the drums and bass that are most immediately improved. Even though it’s not a powerhouse track, Ringo’s rhythmic accents are bigger and sharper.

• “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”: The opening guitar riff felt like it would rip through the speakers in Capitol’s Studio C with the added vibrancy Paul's lead guitar gets in the new version.

• “Good Night”: The closing track from “The Beatles,” a.k.a. the White Album, starts with string accompaniment that sounded canned on the old CD. I noted a slight harshness in the remastered version but also a fuller orchestral sound and an especially appealing purity in the flutes behind Ringo’s sweetly melancholy vocal.

• “The Long and Winding Road”: Paul may cringe at those sweeping strings that Phil Spector overdubbed onto his swan-song Beatles ballad, but they sound even broader and more spacious on the remaster than on the 1987 CD.

After the prepared A:B CD was through, Rouse and Massey opened the floor for requests. I asked to hear "She's Leaving Home" from the mono mix of "Sgt. Pepper," because the track was slowed down for the stereo mix that most U.S. listeners (myself included) are used to. McCartney's voice sounded sweeter, the harp more luminous.

I also got them to cue up Harrison's "Savoy Truffle" from the White Album. As a longtime sax player, I wanted to hear how the sax section came through the remastering -- nicely fat -- but the part that grabbed the attention of everyone in the room was the screaming guitar solo, which picks up considerable sting in the new version.

Tune in Sunday for more.

-- Randy Lewis

Sounds like it's time to chuck the old cd's..

Just such a freaking hard decision to make.

The mono box set seems to be sold out most everywhere.

If you haven't chosen that version yet,you might be outta luck.

It's already starting to be listed at over $600.00 U.S. at certain places.

Even some sights have sold out of their presale of the stereo set.

Apparantly after the initial release of the stereo set is depleted,it will be released again without the bonus dvd.

I decided I wanted the mono set,and fortunately reserved a copy in time.

Since then I found a reasonable rate on the stereo set so I've ordered that as well.

cuz like someone said...a true Beatles fan would have both

Not necessarily true I don't think...but I'm happy to have both on the way!

Edited by zint61

I really, really, really want the mono box.

Like I suspected, as always with The Beatles, it's expensive as fuck. £199!? Plus I'll have to purchase Abbey Road, Let It Be and Yellow Submarine separately. Rrraaahhh.

Convince me, somebody.

Just heard the White Album and Sgt. Peppers, and I will agree with some words that I read on another music forum...Truthfully, the irony of these sets is that if you've spent any decent amount of time listening to any Dr. Ebbetts needledrops in the past decade, the new CDs are really not that substantially different. It's just that the average consumer has never been exposed to this level of detail.

That is not to say that these releases are not impressive in their own right, however. There is microscopic detail present in many areas that were heretofore unheard, but again, this is like using Oil of Olay face cream; In other words, don't expect a facelift.

I asked a hardcore Beatles fan I've known for many many years his opinion.

He did not hesitate with his answer..

"The mono recordings should be in mono,the stereo recordings should be in stereo...the rest shouldn't be heard at all."

He was at a Beatle's convention in the States recently and 'mono vs stereo' was a hot topic.

If not the hot topic.

Apparantly the above quote was the definitive answer.

Maybe it's a purist thing..

I asked a hardcore Beatles fan I've known for many many years his opinion.

He did not hesitate with his answer..

"The mono recordings should be in mono,the stereo recordings should be in stereo...the rest shouldn't be heard at all."

He was at a Beatle's convention in the States recently and 'mono vs stereo' was a hot topic.

If not the hot topic.

Apparantly the above quote was the definitive answer.

Maybe it's a purist thing..

Most likely.

Read the review in the Uncut magazine, said that both of them are sublime, they've been enhanced as opposed to reshuffled, that was the general concesus.

I'm more completist than purist....I debated over which to get at first,but pretty much knew I'd end up with both.

I passed on the 80's releases,I've been waiting for this!!

I've had my vinyls to tie me over. ^_^

(I think both sets are going to be amazing!)

Oh, and don't get ripped off on eBay if you decide to dish out for the mono box -- it was confirmed a couple days ago that they'll be printing additional sets, so they're not really that limited after all.

Good news really!

The hoarder/scalpers just took a hit.

A lot of people who didn't get their preorder in on time were getting a bit panicky!

It's great that they get a crack at it after all.

It appears that it hasn't been completely removed from the "limited" status as of yet.

Found this post:

I can tell you from those in the know, that there will be more mono box sets available. Be aware that they are not numbered, and also be aware that once this next production run is done - THAT'S IT! Better get one whilst you can. Bruce Spizer told everyone at Beatlefest the set is incomparable to anything he has heard. The sound on both sets is unbeleivable, stellar, and just plain brings chills to the spine!

Word is now that if you hesitate a second time and miss out..you're outta luck.

I also read that the second printing might not be in the same album cover artwork sleeves.

Can't confirm any of that...

Supposed insider info now has the number of mono box sets set at 40,000. :shrugs:

Edited by zint61

I'm such a nice sister. I just bought the stereo set for my brother. They had a pretty sweet deal at www.TheFest.com where you get a free designer Tshirt with purchase.

Please, tell me it was a Hello Kitty shirt.

No, they bought out all these designer Beatles shirts from Bloomingdales. I actually bought alot of those for my brother. I am a really nice sister.