Beatles Remasters

Zint

I've heard most of the mono box, it's not that good, the stereo ones are a lot better than the mono version. The bass is really good on the mono albums, but that's all.I'm really enjoying all the stereo albums, specially the older ones, before Revolver..they sound really good.

Don't get the mono box, it sounds old, like the 87 cds.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard most of the mono box, it's not that good, the stereo ones are a lot better than the mono version. The bass is really good on the mono albums, but that's all.I'm really enjoying all the stereo albums, specially the older ones, before Revolver..they sound really good.

Don't get the mono box, it sounds old, like the 87 cds.

Just changed my order to the Mono boxset, at the very last minute. :D

:facepalm:

Sticking with stereo, should come tomorrow.

Edited by Marky

Nice review of the mono box set

As expected, the mono and stereo editions have their share of positives and negatives. Yet the benefits of the mono mixes reign supreme through Revolver, no surprise given that original producer George Martin intended for the Beatles’ records to be enjoyed in mono. With Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, the tide begins to turn, yet efforts like The Beatles (a.k.a. The White Album) remain toss-ups for myriad reasons
Without diminishing the value and impact of the stereo editions, which blow away their 1987 digital predecessors in every imaginable facet, the mono discs are where it’s at for experiencing the Beatles in the most “authentic” manner. (Officially, no compression or de-noising was used on the mono mixes; a sum total of less than five minutes of de-noising graces the stereo editions.)Specifically, the group’s early records tend to sound unnatural in stereo, as the hard panning seems forced and artificial—which, in actuality, it is. In mono, the Beatles’ music thrives from ultra-dynamic front-to-back layering that, intentionally or not, often gives the impression of a stereo mix. The changes wrought by the remasters are dramatic.

Going to stick with the mono for now. I suppose one good thing about ordering late is that I can change this before it ships. Don't think I will though.

Don't..

And considering you've collected Japanese sets in the past,you'll be interested to hear that apparantly all the mono box sets have been produced in Japan to what is expected to be a very high quality, even including the cd's to be inserted into inner rice paper sleeves.

It' the stereo sets that are being pressed locally.

Another interesting perk...the mono box set is going to include the original 1965 stereo mixes of Help and Rubber Soul (in addition to the mono mixes).

The source for the stereo '09 remasters of Help and Rubber Soul are from George Martin's 1987 stereo remasters....not the original stereo mixes.

The mono box set is the only way to access the original stereo mixes for those two albums (oddly enough).

note: if you're wondering...the "import" more expensive version of the mono set from Japan includes a songbook in Japanese...the music and everything else is the same

A friend called me up last night and asked if I received my box sets yet...(they didn't arrive until today).

He said "open the mono box and play Yer Blues and Helter Skelter".

Just had my fuckin face ripped off!

Immediately went to Twist and Shout mono...dirty and intense...it fucking snarls!

I'm floored man...this is beyond my expectations!

I've been really having a great time with all of this.

It means a lot to me on many levels...including sentimental ones.

The Beatles were a staple of life in our house growing up...along with food and water.

My three older sisters were huge fans and I constantly delved into the forbidden record collection when they went to school.

The incredibly cool thing about the mono set is the exact duplication of the vinyl releases...even down to the artwork/writing on the paper sleeve that the record was stored in.

It's all here!

I remember when I bought my first vinyl of the White album...I remember peeling off the shrinkwrap and finding all these cool extras inside.

The mono cd was an exact duplicate...the poster with the lyrics,the 4 photos...the paper sleeves.

It gave me chills man,it was a great moment.

Apart from being an astonishing collection,it has roused many many memories long left behind.

It feels good. :)

Edited by zint61

I've been really having a great time with all of this.

It means a lot to me on many levels...including sentimental ones.

The Beatles were a staple of life in our house growing up...along with food and water.

My three older sisters were huge fans and I constantly delved into the forbidden record collection when they went to school.

The incredibly cool thing about the mono set is the exact duplication of the vinyl releases...even down to the artwork/writing on the paper sleeve that the record was stored in.

It's all here!

I remember when I bought my first vinyl of the White album...I remember peeling off the shrinkwrap and finding all these cool extras inside.

The mono cd was an exact duplicate...the poster with the lyrics,the 4 photos...the paper sleeves.

It gave me chills man,it was a great moment.

Apart from being an astonishing collection,it has roused many many memories long left behind.

It feels good. :)

That's a real heartwarming story man, glad you're enjoying it. :)

Been listening to the MMT remaster on repeat, they've done an incredible job of it, especially Strawberry Fields Forever.