'Emotiona'l songs?

estranged 16

Do you listen to The Smiths? A lot of their stuff is brilliantly sad and simultaneously hilarious. Many people fail to give credit to Morrissey's biting wit, however, and just think he's a miserable sob. Without going off on a tangent, though, Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want is unmatched in my book when it comes to mopey pop. No one does a better job of sounding as desperate and nonchalant as Morrissey (opposing concepts, I know, but you'll understand when you hear him) and Johnny Marr's subtle guitarwork is easily the most pristinely recorded and produced thing these ears can remember hearing.

In other news, Sean Lennon's Friendly Fire is a massively underrated gem. It's totally what you're looking for, so check the album out. I would recommend Parachute to start you off:

Also, I'm not the biggest fan of Chris Isaak, but the dreamy guitar riff in Wicked Game is the first thing that came to mind when reading this thread. It's incredible, really. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ7WJZXDMNc