Folk Rock

LightningBolt

I dunno what you mean by 'new(er)' (like what time period), but I always considered Folk Rock to be a 60's and 70's thing if that's any help. :)

The one I was referring to is from last year, he released his debut EP 2006 though. There's lots of folk, folk rock and the like out there today. It also depends if you're talking about "folk rock" in the sense of Dylan a la Like A Rolling Stone or more pure folk like Dylan a la Blowin' In The Wind.

You should also make sure to check out some Woody Guthrie. For some good British/Celtic Folk I'd recommend Summer Solstice by Tim Hart & Maddy Prior.

*grabs soulseller by the face and kisses him/her* Did you just say Woody Guthrie? I love you :):):):) I made a Woody Guthrie thread waaay back and i didn't get much response, nice to see a fellow appreciator. EVERYBODY, whether they know it or not, owe something to Guthrie, for better or for worse he was the earliest example of politicization of popular music later picked up by...oohh, pretty much the 60s generation, people like The Clash too, lots in the punk movement and just...everybody man, this guy was so fucking important and he don't never get his dues. More than any of that though the man was an absolutely masterful songwriter of a kind that there ain't really a lot of anymore. I adore Woody Guthrie, i think he was fucking amazing.

Dunno if he'd come under folk rock though, just pure folk i woulda thought.

@OP: Check out The Dubliners.

Folk Rock is such a loose definition so it's hard to know what counts... I assume that you're familiar with Neil Young's body of work outside of CSNY? Otherwise, get on that. Also check out Van Morrison's solo stuff - pretty much everything from '68 to '74. This list is pretty decent to use while looking for more stuff.

woven hand & 16 Horsepower! Great Bands!

Just met David Eugene Edwards actually! :xmasssanta:

I second 16 Horsepower at least, great band not sure if it qualifies as "folk rock" though. I'm not as fond of Woven Hand (I've only heard their latest though).

woven hand & 16 Horsepower! Great Bands!

Just met David Eugene Edwards actually! :xmasssanta:

I second 16 Horsepower at least, great band not sure if it qualifies as "folk rock" though. I'm not as fond of Woven Hand (I've only heard their latest though).

Well, Woven Hand is a more 'Hit or miss' kinda band. They have some really good songs (example: Dirty Blue on 'Mosaic') and a lot of mediocre stuff as well.

And, yeah, not really folk rock, but what is it exactly? :question:

Folk Rock is such a loose definition so it's hard to know what counts... I assume that you're familiar with Neil Young's body of work outside of CSNY? Otherwise, get on that. Also check out Van Morrison's solo stuff - pretty much everything from '68 to '74. This list is pretty decent to use while looking for more stuff.

Yes, I know Neil Young, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere is one of my favorite albums of all time. :thumbsup:

And I'll look into more Van Morrison. I really only know the singles like Caravan, Brown Eyed Girl, and Moondance, but I'll delve a bit deeper into his catalogue. I'll definitely be looking up these bands.

And I know all of the big players, well most of them at least, like Neil Young, CSNY, Bob Dylan (though not as much), as I'm very big on Classic Rock and some of those guys are no-brainers if you're as into Classic Rock as much as I am.

And I'll look into more Van Morrison. I really only know the singles like Caravan, Brown Eyed Girl, and Moondance, but I'll delve a bit deeper into his catalogue. I'll definitely be looking up these bands.

Astral Weeks, man. Get Astral Weeks.