*The Total Vocal Badassness Thread*

Guest deleted_19765

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure most of you have heard of Sam Cooke. His version of "Tennessee Waltz" is not as well known. Listen for the note he lands, and hangs onto, in the phrase starting at around 2:15 "But I remembaaaaaah". Everyone in the studio was apparently watching, not believing Sam would hit this note. He gets up there one more time for good measure before the track ends : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ut_1yWzG_M

You just hit the nail on the head, my friend. That song is simply perfect. I actually introduced some friends to Sam last night with The Man and His Music. Surprisingly, they all dug it. :)

When it comes to vocalists, opera singers are unparalleled.

Acoustic version of Rehab... I don't care what any of you say - she's talented. :)

Just a sweet live version with Layne tearing it a new one. There's a better live version that's one of my favourites (from 1990) but the quality is pretty bad so I spared you all.

EDIT:

And again, fuck what any of you say about Cobain, but the end of this gives me chills every single time:

Where Did You Sleep Last Night? - Nirvana, MTV Unplugged

Actually, I meant this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c31uPfidl4I - Man In The Box is about halfway through. Totally raw and it gives you the impression that there's no bounds to his range, just screaming out in full chest voice.

But awesome find, I somehow hadn't seen yours before.

Acoustic version of Rehab... I don't care what any of you say - she's talented. :)

Just a sweet live version with Layne tearing it a new one. There's a better live version that's one of my favourites (from 1990) but the quality is pretty bad so I spared you all.

EDIT:

And again, fuck what any of you say about Cobain, but the end of this gives me chills every single time:

Where Did You Sleep Last Night? - Nirvana, MTV Unplugged

Great picks! Although, if you ask me, Layne's finest performance has to be any version of "Rain When I Die".