Queen announce another Greatest Hits Package

Marky

QUEEN - ABSOLUTE GREATEST

20 Years of Queen's Biggest Hits - In music, pictures and live performances!

Formats: Four CD, Vinyl/Compact, Luxury, 2 Digital formats

Queen. Someone ought to erect a monument to them. Think about it: they have ruled their game longer than many of our most famous leaders, their words can be repeated by many more than can recite our most celebrated writers, and despite more than three generations passing since they first blasted their way into our consciousness, they're just as omnipresent today as they ever were.

So what is it about Queen that makes it all so? You have to look no further than the forthcoming Absolute Greatest hits package, released November 9 (November 10, USA) in four different CD and LP, compact and luxury sets, illustrated with some fine photos and videos, to see where it all comes from.

Charting over 21 years of making people rock, feel, sense and celebrate, Absolute Greatest reminds us just what fine and smart, rock and pop writers and musicians Messrs Deacon, May, Mercury and Taylor were (are). Also that they had a sense of humour, which is perhaps another thing that made them so accessible.

A joyous celebration of Queen's - and many of our own - greatest moments, Absolute Greatest also comes in very personalised versions in which band members Brian May and Roger Taylor share their own memories about the tracks chosen for this collection. In a limited-edition book version, the Queen photo archives are opened up with 52 pages of unseen and rare photos, and handwritten song lyrics by each member of the band (including corrections and rewrites). Certain versions provide exclusive access to online streaming of 20 of Queen's greatest live performances.

OK, so we shouldn't expect to see the likes of Queen carved into Mount Rushmore, or find their way to a Trafalgar Square plinth (now there's an idea), so for the moment let's accept that Absolute Greatest will serve as a terrific tribute to a monumental music history!

Ah, these are the days of our lives. Absolute Greatest - Queen.

1) Standard CD version includes 20 tracks, the ultimate best of.

2) Double CD Special Edition comes with an extra CD featuring audio commentary by Brian May & Roger Taylor reminiscing about the songs on the album.

3) Limited Edition Book version (Hardback 52 page, A4 book)

• The 20 track CD

• The audio commentary CD

• Previously unseen photos by Johnny Dewe Matthews, memorabilia, hand written lyrics

• Exclusive access to online streaming of 20 live performances

4) LP Box Set

• 3LP 180g Heavyweight vinyl set

• 12" soft back 16 page photo book

• Housed in a 2 piece box with lift off lid

• Access to the exclusive online streaming of 20 live performances

5) Digital Download equivalent of version 1 and version 2

Tracklisting:

01. We Will Rock You

02. We Are The Champions

03. Radio Ga Ga

04. Another One Bites The Dust

05. I Want It All

06. Crazy Little Thing Called Love

07. A Kind Of Magic

08. Under Pressure

09. One Vision

10. You're My Best Friend

11. Don't Stop Me Now

12. Killer Queen

13. These Are The Days Of Our Lives

14. Who Wants To Live Forever

15. Seven Seas Of Rhye

16. Heaven For Everyone

17. Somebody To Love

18. I Want To Break Free 1

19. The Show Must Go On

20. Bohemian Rhapsody

Edited by Marky

So, who wants to send me this for christmas? :xmasssanta:

Seriously, the compilation is worthless for versions 2, 3 and 4, because anyone that would buy that has all the songs already. Unless there's something special about it, like some interesting remasters, or DTS. But the bonus material seems very interesting. It will probably cost a lot though.

As for the comparison with Aerosmith, it's way off. Aerosmith never had any collectible material released like that. They just have a lot of different compilations, but they're just half-assed jobs. One was even just a re-release of a previous one under a different name. They don't even have a proper dvd.

Iron Maiden have a fair few too.

But at least their collection albums all offer something a bit new or different, and at the very least, a preview track or 2 off an upcoming live album:

Best Of The Beast - Still the definitive Maiden collection by sheer tracklist, not to mention The Soundhouse Tapes on CD for the first time, Strange World from the Soundhouse sessions, Virus (One of the few amazing Blaze songs), and an amazing live version of Afraid To Shoot Strangers (Again, one of the few great Blaze performances)

Ed Hunter - Game + Wrathchild '99

Edward The Great - FOTD off forthcoming Rock In Rio album

Essential Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden and FOTD off forthcoming Death On The Road album

Somewhere Back In Time - Nothing special, but the artwork alone made it worth the buy (For the picture disc at least)

I'm looking forward to this one...! Especially with comments from Brian and Roger.

But what I really would've love, a "The early years - best of Queen". A complete record with the best songs by Queen, choosen by Brian and Roger. And not a greatest hits. But sure I will buy this! ;)

By the way, Freddie's birthday is today. He should've been 63 now!