Ellen DeGeneres replaces Paula Abdul on American Idol

Zint

Let's face it guys, Paula Abdul sucks, all her albums are pretty terrible. Whatever though, Ellen is fucking awesome, I love her show. It's sad that she has to be discriminated by immature fuckheads in this country but still she's awesome. Can't wait, I only watch the auditions and the actual show when they are down to the final 5.

I have to admit that I was a little surprised. And she is qualified, how? She's a great talk show host, but WTF?

Good question... :unsure: ...and I'm really surprised to hear this. Odd decision.

I've liked Ellen since she had her own sitcom years ago. I think she can be extremely funny in my dumb sense of humor sort of way.

Well, regardless of why she was chosen, she'll be an interesting personality on there for sure. She could be quite funny with some of those contestants. :laugh:

I haven't watched AI since Carrie Underwood won it, but I might be checking it out this season just to see how Ellen's gonna work out. Hmmmm.... :shrugs:

Was Paula qualified? She may have had a music career, but she was too nice to ever give even fair criticism. And half the time she never made any sense. The other three are qualified. Ellen maybe will give an outsider's perspective (just a fan, not an industry insider) and add some humor. I wasn't intending on defending the choice, but there you go. The show shouldn't be taken very seriously anyhow.

Edited by KBear

A lesbian talk show host is now officially entitled to help decide who gets a recording contract in America!

LOL. What does her being a lesbian have to do with this? :lol:

But if they were gonna go the comedian route, why not go all the way with it and bring Chris Rock onboard instead so after Simon's done insulting their vocals, Rock can lace into some awesome sexual and racial tirades against the contestants. Talk about Must-See-TV!!! rock3

This really is surprising and flat out weird(ie, BAD). Seemed like they were pushing out Paula with 4 judges being too many and then they do this? Plus, PA supposedly left because she wasn't getting a big enough contract renewal--would DeGeneres take less money than Abdul? Personally, thought Paula provided good entertainment value, but could see it if they went with Simon, Randy and Kara. Don't get this move at all and it reminds me of when Monday Night Football would get desperate and bring in a Dennis Miller or Kornhieser for supposed ratings and it backfired every time. Big difference here is that IDOl ain't desperate. Again, don't get it.

Don't you hate when someone like this is brought in and they say they will be the "people's judge". As if the viewing audience all sees things the same way and will naturally fall in line with her opinions. :rolleyes:

Big time turn-off for me. May not even watch it and bet Simon bails after this season...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I kind of disagree about Paula's entertainment value. I enjoyed looking at her, true, but once she started talking for more than five seconds I would invariably think, "please, just shut up already!" Even Simon would say that and I think he probably meant it.

This is kind of like when Diane (Shelley Long I think is her name) left Cheers. It's like, why leave when you have it so good? She left to start a big movie career and it was like she fell off the face of the earth. The same will happen with Paula. No one will care about her outside of this show.

Edited by KBear

The entertainment value with Paula was always to see how incoherent she might be on any given show--clearly she was flying on meds, alcohol, other drugs, whatever during many nights and was a complete train wreck. If you've been a long time watcher, you know how bad/funny it got at times and she brought a weird unpredictability to the show that will be missed by many.

Believe me, I think it's her loss as much as the show's. But she'll land somewhere else--supposedly she's getting big offers from Vegas and would be a natural to judge on one of those reality dance shows as that's much more her forte than singing.

The impact of Paula's absence from IDOL can be debated, but bringing in DeGeneres a total head scratcher, IMO, considering all the other names that were being thrown around.

Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson, Kara DioGuardi...and Ellen DeGeneres? :huh:

Edited by Turn_It_Up

A lesbian talk show host is now officially entitled to help decide who gets a recording contract in America!

LOL. What does her being a lesbian have to do with this? :lol:

Well that took long enough! :tongue2:

She's not just any talk show host...she's a proud talk show host!

Aaaand...in fact...it does tie in as a qualification!

She does shake her booty at the beginning of each show to the latest "club" tracks and then sexily shimmies over her little coffee table.

You go girl!

She probably has the most annoying personality in the world, ....

I have to agree.

And what does a talk show host know about music? I've never even seen her discuss music or bands before.

Have to wonder who she "knew" to get this gig.

...Ellen maybe will give an outsider's perspective (just a fan, not an industry insider) and add some humor. ...

I've never found her funny at all. :huh: