Freddie Mercury Concert

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly not a fan of when they did Bohemian. I think they should have had a pre-recorded live version like they did with Paul Rodgers, let Bowie sing it (He could more so than anyone else on the bill), or leave it out. Overall I love the concert, but a few songs just made me cringe, namely Bohemian, Under Pressure (Didn't like Annie Lennox on it), and '39 (No reason Brian May couldn't have sung it)

I don't understand why Brian doesn't sung it either.. Would love him to! But I'm sure there is a reason. IMO Annie Lennox did a great job at Under Pressure, actually it was pretty awesome!

I dunno, maybe her stage appearance ruins Under Pressure for me. But it boggles me that they let George Michael sing a Brian-vocal song. At least he didn't butcher Somebody To Love.

IMO the best performance of the night is either All The Young Dudes, "Heroes", I Want It All, or Hammer To Fall (Gary Cherone was made for that song!)

Actually Brian doesn't use to sing it before either.. Freddie always sang it. Don't know why..

I think everyone did a very great job out there.. I like every song with every singer! But my favourites at that concert have to be Bo Raph, I Want It All, Too Much Love Will Kill You and Somebody To Love.

Right, I know Freddie always sang it live, but Brian did the album version, that's what I was referring to. I actually don't like it with Freddie either.

Brian's gentle voice just suited the songs he wrote so well. I much prefer him singing '39, and same goes for Too Much Love Will Kill You.

Im sorry, but doesnt this belong in the Pre-1994 section? Geez, is there really this little going on?

Yeah sorry. Just so much relevant new GnR news & goings on these days (past 17 yrs). I feel bad now for taking up such valuable space on this thread by not posting it in "correct" forum. Lets get back to relevant GnR stuff like the new USA tour...(oh wait, there isn't one), or the new interview with Axl in RS...(oh wait), or the new video...(oh wait), or new band info (oh wait), or new concert DVD...(oh wait)...or new CD (oh wait...released 1 year ago), or..........all we have is past GnR stuff. I'll try & make posts/threads that are "relevant" AKA-1994ish and on.

Honestly not a fan of when they did Bohemian. I think they should have had a pre-recorded live version like they did with Paul Rodgers, let Bowie sing it (He could more so than anyone else on the bill), or leave it out. Overall I love the concert, but a few songs just made me cringe, namely Bohemian, Under Pressure (Didn't like Annie Lennox on it), and '39 (No reason Brian May couldn't have sung it)

I don't understand why Brian doesn't sung it either.. Would love him to! But I'm sure there is a reason. IMO Annie Lennox did a great job at Under Pressure, actually it was pretty awesome!

I dunno, maybe her stage appearance ruins Under Pressure for me. But it boggles me that they let George Michael sing a Brian-vocal song. At least he didn't butcher Somebody To Love.

IMO the best performance of the night is either All The Young Dudes, "Heroes", I Want It All, or Hammer To Fall (Gary Cherone was made for that song!)

Actually Brian doesn't use to sing it before either.. Freddie always sang it. Don't know why..

I think everyone did a very great job out there.. I like every song with every singer! But my favourites at that concert have to be Bo Raph, I Want It All, Too Much Love Will Kill You and Somebody To Love.

Right, I know Freddie always sang it live, but Brian did the album version, that's what I was referring to. I actually don't like it with Freddie either.

Brian's gentle voice just suited the songs he wrote so well. I much prefer him singing '39, and same goes for Too Much Love Will Kill You.

Yeah I know he did the album version. Wish he would sing it live too. And I agree, even though I'm a huge Freddie fan, I also prefer Brian's version of Too much love will kill you. Maybe tere are something when it's your own.. I don't know..

I was in the crowd that day. Each band and artist, except perhaps for Bob Geldoff and Elizabeth Taylor were great and really got into the spitit of what the day was about. It was an emotional day, when Brian, Roger and John came out at the start you could see they were sad but they put a great show together to honour Freddie.

A lot of people said that Axl and the band 'stole' the show. I have to say that I agreed. Even though Axl was heckled, he carried on.

There are a lot of things that happened that day that aren't on the video because th artists weren't happy about the performance or the camera didn't pick it up.

Seeing Robert Plant and other huge stars all on the same stage was something else. I thought George Michael did justice to 'Somebody to Love'.

It was a day to remember forever. :)

I was in the crowd that day. Each band and artist, except perhaps for Bob Geldoff and Elizabeth Taylor were great and really got into the spitit of what the day was about. It was an emotional day, when Brian, Roger and John came out at the start you could see they were sad but they put a great show together to honour Freddie.

A lot of people said that Axl and the band 'stole' the show. I have to say that I agreed. Even though Axl was heckled, he carried on.

There are a lot of things that happened that day that aren't on the video because th artists weren't happy about the performance or the camera didn't pick it up.

Seeing Robert Plant and other huge stars all on the same stage was something else. I thought George Michael did justice to 'Somebody to Love'.

Seriously...was Axl heckled? What was that about? That was the hey day of GnR, why the heckling then?

Seriously...was Axl heckled? What was that about? That was the hey day of GnR, why the heckling then?

Axl was still getting a lot of heat for the song One In A Million (ie. "faggots"). I remember their being a lot of publicity about how the audience would respond to his performances. Many people didn't think it was appropriate that Axl perform for a Freddie Mercury tribute showing seeing how Freddie was gay and Axl had made some 'faux pas' with One In A Million. Axl being paired with Elton (and again later at the MTV Music awards for November Rain) definitely helped him in the PR battle. It's funny to think that ten years later Elton would extend the favour to Eminem when he got into trouble for perceived homophobia.

But yeah, unbelievable performance by Axl. And whoever put the show together definitely chose the right spots for Axl to perform. He was the most Rawk performer out there, who else to sing the respective parts in We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody. To me, this was Axl at this prime.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 3 years later...

I'd have posted this same thread again but I'd rather bump this one...

You mean this?...

Best Axl moment ever.

I acrually thought he was a bit off, freddy woulda been rolling in his grave.

Yes, I thought the same. The energy, the vocal power made up for his overall not so good performance though.

Axl was far from being the best performer that night. IMO he was in the bottom part. Way behind George Michael, Zucchero, Roger Daltrey, Lisa Stansfield, Bowie&Lennox.

And Extreme just made GN'R look like a bunch of amateurs.

You mean this...

If so, absolutely. :)

Of course I mean this ! They stole the show.

This is absolutely awesome as well...

:)

I remember watching the show on tv and hating Gary Cherone's pelvis moves so bad.. but he sang his ass off that night, great medley n great hammer to fall.

Of all people performing that night, he was the greatest when it comes to performing. Better singers, there were, better performers there were not. Well.....Ok, I admit Michael was pretty awesome as well. I thought back than and still think he was great that night. (I didn't like Extreme by the way, thought they were boring).

Edited by MBRose

I wonder if this will be the entire show. The DVD release of it was only Queen's performance.

The opening acts seem to be partly included. I think there's no Spinal Tap for example... :cry: But GN'R's set seems to be included !

Is this the one where Axl comes out to We Will Rock You, I think he's wearing a white coat and shorts............and the camera pans around and shows like 200,000 people all clapping and waving their arms in perfect beat to the first part of the song...........that's one of my 10 favorite moments of GnR's career. It always sends chills up my spine.

You mean this?...

Best Axl moment ever.

I prefer

. His snake dance strut out onto the stage best captures his unique stage presence, imo. When I was first getting into GN'R, before the days of YouTube, that clip was always predominant on the P2P servers - it was one of the first "GN'R" clips I ever downloaded and used to watch it all the time. The energy is immense.

Pity about the biker shorts, though.

Goosebumps!

When I was a kid I've thought that those two songs were original done by GNR.

My all time favorites.