Ryan Adams

Estranged Reality

I've listened a lot to him lately too. I've heard Gold and Heartbreaker, any recommendations on where to go next? I was thinking maybe a sweet live album or something.

Wow man then you are in for some great listening 'cause in my opinion you haven't even heard his best work yet. My advice would be to try out Cold Roses next, featuring one of his best songs:

. Easy Tiger would be a good way to go aswell. Ryan is very prolific, but still maintains high quality thoughout his work. Jacksonville City Nights is what I consider his worst album, but even that is still very enjoyable.

Ryan Adams was born in the wrong decade though, if he had been active in the 60s-70s I'm postive he would have been considered one of the greats like Bob Dylan and Neil Young. He really is that good.

29 is my favourite, fucking amazing album. Love is hell is great, cold roses, jacksonville city nights, theres some great unreleased albums like 48 Hours, The elizabeth sessions are pretty good, The suicide handbook, sad dracula, pink hearts, sweden sessions. Live stuff, the olympia theatre in ireland is a great bootleg. Hes also got hillarious bootlegs by his punk band The Shit, his heavy metal band Werewolf, his electro hip hop alias dj reggie - the guy can do anything. Im leaving tons of good stuff off this list as well. Whiskeytown are great to - his alt country band before he went solo. In my humble opinion hes by far the greatest artist of this decade.

Heres a good performance of What sin replaces love from the henry rollins show - this tune was recorded during the jacksonville city nights sessions - its available via bootleg both acoustic and electric, this versions my fav though. Fucking amazing artist.

Edited by Midnight Rambler

Good thread. I've been listening to Ryan Adams a lot these past days (I'm listening to Cold Roses now).

My favourite albums of his is Heartbreaker, followed by Whiskeytown's Strangers Almanac and then the unreleased RA album 48 Hours. Then Cold Roses. The guy is bloody frustrating though - he releases so much stuff, some which is great and some which is pretty bad - and yet has tons of unreleased stuff too...

I've listened a lot to him lately too. I've heard Gold and Heartbreaker, any recommendations on where to go next? I was thinking maybe a sweet live album or something.

Just head over to archive.org and download a live show from there... I'm listening to this one at the moment, great show and great sound quality. I picked it on random just because it was recorded in my hometown, and I'm definitely not disappointed.

Guest deleted_19765

I have Heartbreaker. There are some good songs, but his vocals are mixed SO LOUD. I love Gillian Welch and David Rawlings but I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that mix.

<!--quoteo(post=2520595:date=Oct 8 2009, 08:45 AM:name=Lithium)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lithium @ Oct 8 2009, 08:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2520595"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've listened a lot to him lately too. I've heard <i>Gold</i> and <i>Heartbreaker</i>, any recommendations on where to go next? I was thinking maybe a sweet live album or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow man then you are in for some great listening 'cause in my opinion you haven't even heard his best work yet. My advice would be to try out Cold Roses next, featuring one of his best songs: <a href="

target="_blank">Let it ride</a>. Easy Tiger would be a good way to go aswell. Ryan is very prolific, but still maintains high quality thoughout his work. Jacksonville City Nights is what I consider his worst album, but even that is still very enjoyable.

Ryan Adams was born in the wrong decade though, if he had been active in the 60s-70s I'm postive he would have been considered one of the greats like Bob Dylan and Neil Young. He really is that good.

bullshit. prolific doesn't = great.

<!--quoteo(post=2520595:date=Oct 8 2009, 08:45 AM:name=Lithium)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lithium @ Oct 8 2009, 08:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2520595"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've listened a lot to him lately too. I've heard <i>Gold</i> and <i>Heartbreaker</i>, any recommendations on where to go next? I was thinking maybe a sweet live album or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow man then you are in for some great listening 'cause in my opinion you haven't even heard his best work yet. My advice would be to try out Cold Roses next, featuring one of his best songs: <a href="

target="_blank">Let it ride</a>. Easy Tiger would be a good way to go aswell. Ryan is very prolific, but still maintains high quality thoughout his work. Jacksonville City Nights is what I consider his worst album, but even that is still very enjoyable.

bullshit. prolific doesn't = great.

That's not what I was saying.