Wolfmother: New album, sounds fantastic

Nick83

I've always had trouble with Wolfmother. On one hand, I recognize their rebellion - that nostalgia of classic rock - bombastic, repetitious, almost to an obnoxious level, and that's their appeal, they defy status quo, if only by taking up the same torch as those they admire then running in circles. The problem is that they don't bring anything new to the table in my opinion. They are similar in appeal and structure as, say a band like Black Mountain, except that the aestetic is simpler, stripped down, and thought as genuine. But genuine to what? The statement about music is negated by the fact that they're working within a framework which lends itself to experimentation, and yet, they completely ignore the experimental aspect, and keep to well trodden paths. It's not necessarily bad per say, but it is frustrating.

Other modern bands are able to work in a similar vein, though they mix it up a bit. Wolfmother is just stubbornly conservative.

I've always had trouble with Wolfmother. On one hand, I recognize their rebellion - that nostalgia of classic rock - bombastic, repetitious, almost to an obnoxious level, and that's their appeal, they defy status quo, if only by taking up the same torch as those they admire then running in circles. The problem is that they don't bring anything new to the table in my opinion. They are similar in appeal and structure as, say a band like Black Mountain, except that the aestetic is simpler, stripped down, and thought as genuine. But genuine to what? The statement about music is negated by the fact that they're working within a framework which lends itself to experimentation, and yet, they completely ignore the experimental aspect, and keep to well trodden paths. It's not necessarily bad per say, but it is frustrating.

Other modern bands are able to work in a similar vein, though they mix it up a bit. Wolfmother is just stubbornly conservative.

they can do whatever they want, they like it the way they do it and so do tons of fans. who said they were working within such a framework anyhow, is that just a public observation thing?

The Wolfmother name is over as far as I'm concerned, this is an Andrew Stockdale solo album, and

I think it sounds OK, but it doesn't even come close to the only Wolfmother album that actually exists.

Wolfmother is gone

You're on a GNR forum. Just lettin' you know.

I'm also on a Wolfmother thread, just lettin' you know ;)

The Wolfmother name is over as far as I'm concerned, this is an Andrew Stockdale solo album, and

I think it sounds OK, but it doesn't even come close to the only Wolfmother album that actually exists.

Wolfmother is gone

You're on a GNR forum. Just lettin' you know.

I'm also on a Wolfmother thread, just lettin' you know ;)

Did you miss the joke?....