At The Gates

Gordon Comstock

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so ive just recently discovered this band, and im really diggin em. they fuckin kick ass!

Slaughter Of The Soul

Suicide Nation

fuck yea! rock3 rock3

ATG kicks ass. They were away ahead of their time, to use an old music cliche. So many bands tried to copy them.

Im a huge fan of Slaughter of the Soul, I think any good metal fan should hear that album. All the ones before that are a lot harder to get into but still good, in spite of weak production.

so ive just recently discovered this band, and im really diggin em. they fuckin kick ass!

Slaughter Of The Soul

Suicide Nation

fuck yea! rock3 rock3

ATG kicks ass. They were away ahead of their time, to use an old music cliche. So many bands tried to copy them.

Im a huge fan of Slaughter of the Soul, I think any good metal fan should hear that album. All the ones before that are a lot harder to get into but still good, in spite of weak production.

yea, i plan to pick up Slaughter... next time im out, if i can find it....

totally agree...

Shit they're really good.

They sound a little bit like Cradle

i know! i told you so.... haha....

yea they kinda sound a bit like cradle... similar vocal style but ATG is more.... i dont want to say simple.... cradle uses a lot more synth and effects... lets put it that way. either way, both bands kick major ass.

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH MEEEEEEEETTTTTAAAAAAAALLLLLLL

THIISSSSS SHIT IS SOOOOOO BRUTAL

RRAAAAAWWWWR SLIPKNOT!!!!!111!!!!1!!!

dude, as much as i hate 'in your face' metal fans and their bullshit, i think i hate people who think metal is immature garbage even more, unless you're over 40 or something.

there's just so much metal, its so fucking broad. its really personable music. like all metal fan's i've found my kinda metal, the metal i like, and im glad i did! I use to hate metal because the general fanbase is obnoxious and so certain that the metal they listen to is the only "true metal" which is just plain annoying. if you talk to another metal fan theres a 50/50 chance he'll either hate your metal or like half it, you'll never find somebody who likes all the same metal you like and hates what you hate, and if you do.... start a fucking band with him or something. i use to think anything close to metal instantly sucked, but i found myself slowly changing my definition of what "wasn't metal" and eventually just had to admit that there was metal i really fuckin liked. its just modern, neo-classical, fun heavy music, and it deserves to be appreciated. theres a lotta shitty generic boring ass metal, but to say its a genre of music where great things aren't happening....

Edited by sweetness

Opeth, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork...

In Flames and Dark Tranquility borrow HEAVILY from the ATG sound. What makes ATG great is the fact that Slaughter of the Soul came out in 1994, so far ahead of its time. Then all of a sudden everyone took their sound. I love In Flames and like DT, but they wouldnt be who they are without At The Gates

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Dissection is indeed great, but aren't they more Black Metal? Not that it matters to me what their genre is called, I don't know the difference, I just think I've read that.

I think they can fall on either side of the fence, but I always felt Dissection was melodic death with a heavy black metal influence. Early Dissection has the speed and atmosphere of black metal, but is a bit more technical and structured. The final album, Reinkaos, was pretty much mid-paced melodic death.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Yeah, as said, I don't know the difference. Storm of the Light's Bane is the best death/black metal album ever however. It's even better than Jester Race.

there's just so much metal, its so fucking broad.

optdmf.png

I don't get it... sweetness is 100% right. I'm not a fan of this kind of metal or "brutal" metal in general, but I do like a lot of metal music. Go listen to an album like UFO's Phenomenon then listen to an album like Between the Buried and Me's Colors and tell me they're even remotely similar. Tons of different kinds of Metal; Heavy Metal, Prog Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Hair Metal, Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Doom Metal, Alternative Metal, Nu Metal, Metalcore, Power Metal, etc, etc, there's tons of it, dude.

Edited by LightningBolt

optdmf.png

I don't get it... sweetness is 100% right. I'm not a fan of this kind of metal or "brutal" metal in general, but I do like a lot of metal music. Go listen to an album like UFO's Phenomenon then listen to an album like Between the Buried and Me's Colors and tell me they're even remotely similar. Tons of different kinds of Metal; Heavy Metal, Prog Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Hair Metal, Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Doom Metal, Alternative Metal, Nu Metal, Metalcore, Power Metal, etc, etc, there's tons of it, dude.

thank you, if CryptElf is seriously trying to tell me that he thinks all metal sucks and isn't worth listening to on a Guns N' Roses forum I can only assume he's trollin... i thought it was common knowledge among music fans that metal has an extremely wide range of sub-genres

rolling_stone_metal_tree.jpg

and thats only scratching the surface

Edited by sweetness

optdmf.png

thank you, if CryptElf is seriously trying to tell me that he thinks all metal sucks and isn't worth listening to on a Guns N' Roses forum I can only assume he's trollin... i thought it was common knowledge among music fans that metal has an extremely wide range of sub-genres

>implying sub genres are broad and unique

optdmf.png

fuck off, cupcake.

optdmf.png

>implying sub genres are broad and unique

optdmf.png

whatever man, stand behind your lame ass over-used picachu face and see if i give a shit. you're why forums suck these day's

POP METAL:

GUNS N' ROSES

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

:facepalm:

alright, i won't blame you for this cause i use to think GNR was underground, edgy, and cool. but truth is the mainstream embraced and love'd them as much as any punk rocker or metalhead in the 80's, you're pretty much a dumbass for thinking GNR isn't pop, have you heard their radio singles? Sweet Child, Paradise City, Yesterdays, Estranged, November Rain? Shit even jungle is pop-rock

youre extremely naive, im lovin it

POP METAL:

GUNS N' ROSES

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

:facepalm:

alright, i won't blame you for this cause i use to think GNR was underground, edgy, and cool. but truth is the mainstream embraced and love'd them as much as any punk rocker or metalhead in the 80's, you're pretty much a dumbass for thinking GNR isn't pop, have you heard their radio singles? Sweet Child, Paradise City, Yesterdays, Estranged, November Rain? Shit even jungle is pop-rock

youre extremely naive, im lovin it

Seriously bro, stop trollin'.

GN'R is not metal or pop.

learn2genre :facepalm:

dogsnickering.gif

K music pro, whatever you say

I've always considered GN'R a 70's hard rock throwback but to say they had nothing to do with metal or pop is just laughable. Listen to the song Don't Damn Me and tell me there isn't an once of metal in that riffage

learn to not be such a blatantly obvious /b/tard, that is if you care about having credibility