At The Gates

Gordon Comstock

CryptElf, you really believe that Metal isn't a broad form of music? Really? I mean, it just shows that you're completely ignorant of it, if you do believe so.

As for Guns N' Roses. I've always thought of them as a Hard Rock band with influences from Punk Rock, Heavy Metal, and Blues Rock, but more of a Hard Rock band than anything else.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CryptElf, you really believe that Metal isn't a broad form of music? Really? I mean, it just shows that you're completely ignorant of it, if you do believe so.

As for Guns N' Roses. I've always thought of them as a Hard Rock band with influences from Punk Rock, Heavy Metal, and Blues Rock, but more of a Hard Rock band than anything else.

this.

CryptElf.... Norweigian Black Metal and Swedish Death Metal are legitimate. by saying they aren't you've basically just proven that you haven't taken time to listen to them and are talking completely out of your ass.

what the fuck are you even doing in a metal thread, anyway? stop trolling, gtfo.

Edited by RickRoses

That's where I stopped paying attention.

Give me 5 links defining GN'R as pop metal please.

pfff ok. im not gunna go find links for you, what do you think this is? I can't believe I'm even having this discussion on a GNR forum, are we talking about the same band? If you honestly believe that out of all the genre's GNR touch on that none of them are remotely pop or metal... hmmm why do i keep thinking youre just fuckin with me

Can I start my own genres then? Like...

Pennsylvania DEATH METAL and whatnot?

why the fuck not? if you have the ability to create something with its own unique identity why shouldn't you be able to give it its own name?

and please... dont come in here backin up your bro unless you wanna change your username, avatar, and sig... really dude, you aren't one to talk shit about metal

Edited by sweetness

Can I start my own genres then? Like...

Pennsylvania DEATH METAL and whatnot?

If you can inspire tons of bands from your area to follow in your footsteps, knock yourself out.

And WTF are you talking about CryptElf? Why doesn't subgenres make a genre broad? If you mean based on sounds and not on labels, I can play this game.

Doom Metal and (often times) Sludge Metal are played in slower time signatures while genres like Thrash Metal and Speed Metal are played in faster ones. Genres like Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, and Glam Metal are played at mid-paced ones. Genres like Post Metal and Prog Metal are played in complex time signatures. Vocal style differences are a biggy. Genres like Heavy Metal, Glam Metal, and Thrash Metal use cleaner vocals while genres like Death Metal and Black Metal use harsh vocals; there are also genres that alter between the both like Progressive Metal, Sludge Metal, Doom Metal, Post Metal, and Metalcore. Nu Metal and Alternative Metal even put rapping in their songs sometimes (Nu Metal more often, Alternative Metal still does it quite a bit). Lyrical content is another thing, and it really varies from band to band. Black Metal usually focuses on religion mainly while Death Metal is destruction and all that jazz. Glam Metal is all about partying or whatever and the list goes on. Then there's the "level" of heaviness. Heavy Metal and Glam Metal sound a lot and are often compared with Hard Rock in those terms and are often mixed up between the two. Then there's the level of heaviness between genres like Black Metal and Death Metal where it's really as heavy as it gets. "Heaviness" is impossible to measure, though, so its' really just what you happen to observe.

I really can't believe that you're arguing that Metal music isn't broad, though. Listen to "Talk Dirty To Me" from Poison then to listen to some Gorgoroth or something. It really speaks for itself.

Punk/Grunge are branches of metal?

C'mon.......

Grunge is widely considered to be a kind of mix between 80's alternative rock, punk rock, and heavy metal. Didn't Cobain say he wanted a sound like The Beatles meets Black Sabbath or something like that?

pfff ok. im not gunna go find links for you, what do you think this is? I can't believe I'm even having this discussion on a GNR forum, are we talking about the same band? If you honestly believe that out of all the genre's GNR touch on that none of them are remotely pop or metal... hmmm why do i keep thinking youre just fuckin with me

Oh so because a band has one or two songs partially inspired by a genre, they are instantly part of that genre? Fuck off.

Rush isn't metal, grunge is not metal, and punk is not metal. And if you can't provide evidence to back up your fanboyish claims to defend some shitty generic shit like SlipKnot, Lamb of God and Cradle of Filth then It's not worth arguing is it?

I know you've been speaking out of your ass for the past few pages, but this really sums it up. SlipKnot, LoG, and CoF are NOT the norm in Metal. I personally dislike all three. There are very unique bands in Metal and you're a fool not to think so and to dismiss the whole genre based on a few "fad" bands. Go screw yourself, you're obviously not even trying to reason with anyone. Come up with some evidence that any of those bands/genres aren't Metal, punk.

2112 by Rush can be considered Heavy Metal, by the way, along with much of their 70's output.

Oh so because a band has one or two songs partially inspired by a genre, they are instantly part of that genre? Fuck off.

Rush isn't metal, grunge is not metal, and punk is not metal. And if you can't provide evidence to back up your fanboyish claims to defend some shitty generic music like SlipKnot, Lamb of God and Cradle of Filth then It's not worth arguing is it?

First of all, let me join you in saying those three bands are horrible.

I'm not a metal fanboy at all, far from it, I just know it isn't all bad, and so do thousands of other open minded music fans. Naturally when I see somebody typically trying to write it all off as a bunch of bullshit I'm gunna step in and speak up, because I know there are plenty of ridiculously talented musicians churning out great music in the vein of metal. No I'm not saying one or two songs partially inspired by a genre; its reoccurring influences throughout the artists catalogue, and yes Guns N' Roses AND Rush make several nods to metal in the midst of everything else they play, whether you believe it or not.

You'd say Alice In Chains is grunge wouldn't you? So is that to say they aren't remotely metal in any way? You can't honestly believe music is so black and white... ever hear of Porcupine Tree? Tell me they don't play metal...

Edited by sweetness

And if you can't provide evidence to back up your fanboyish claims to defend some shitty generic music like SlipKnot, Lamb of God and Cradle of Filth then It's not worth arguing is it?

Fine.

Slipknot:

Eyeless

Snuff

Cradle Of Filth:

Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids

Lamb Of God: (Not a big fan, so i dont know a lot of their stuff, but this song KICKS ASS)

Redneck

listen to these songs before you go around trying to bullshit peolpe into thinking metal isn't broad, asshole.

Edited by RickRoses

All those songs were shitty, boring, predicatable, and I hear them every single day on the radio from a thousand different bands.

Post something interesting please.

you listened to all 5 songs in 1 minute hey?

you're a little cunt, and you've proved it. i posted songs by the bands you named, proving metal is diverse and that each sub genre is different, and you still insist on acting like a child. you can fuck right off, now.

All those songs were shitty, boring, predicatable, and I hear them every single day on the radio from a thousand different bands.

i don't really expect you to enjoy, but If you dismiss any of these as generic and uninteresting you don't know shit about music

i hope you at least give these all a fair shot, just listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzjcfTPyw9M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGNb-YT5ECA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpSzCFaLBY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFFWuNWrPxk

yeah, metal is all the same

Edited by sweetness

i still dont even know how someone could consider COF generic.... just... noooooo..... :facepalm:

unless theres something im missing, what other band is puting out songs like A Gothic Romance (Red Roses For The Devil's Whore), Summer Dying Fast, Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids, Queen Of Winter Throned, Bathory Aria??? its just not generic....

you listened to all 5 songs in 1 minute hey?

you're a little cunt, and you've proved it. i posted songs by the bands you named, proving metal is diverse and that each sub genre is different, and you still insist on acting like a child. you can fuck right off, now.

No. I used to be a fan of those bands... when I was like 13. :rofl-lol:

And my friend let me borrow SlipKnot's new album with Snuff on it, shit sucked dude, shit sucked hard.

even if you think it sucks, how can you babble on about how metal is generic and everything sounds the same and all that bullshit? you're such a cupcake.... gtfo of the thread...

y'know what i find truly funny, though? this stupid cunt is a U2 fan, and HE is the one saying how MY taste is generic. U2 fucking suck, and along with coldplay, are the most unbelievabley boring, generic, joke of a band i've ever heard. it's actually PAINFULL how bad they are.

Nothing wrong with U2 and Coldplay, dude.

y'know what i find truly funny, though? this stupid cunt is a U2 fan, and HE is the one saying how MY taste is generic. U2 fucking suck, and along with coldplay, are the most unbelievabley boring, generic, joke of a band i've ever heard. it's actually PAINFULL how bad they are.

Nothing wrong with U2 and Coldplay, dude.

i disagree. :P

Hey Rick you know anything about Orbs? From what I understand its Cradle's keyboardist and a bunch of guys from other great bands, namely Adam Fisher from Fear Before :wub:

http://www.myspace.com/orbsband amazing shit

listening to them now... Kid Cancer sounds pretty cool!

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

What the fuck happened with this thread? You went from discussing good metalbands like At The Gates, In Flames, Opeth etc. to argue about shitbands like Slipknot, Lamb of God, Cradle of Filth and U2? :confused:

Lol yeah U2 suck looooooooooooool

so can you at least admit you were wrong or are you just gunna pretend you missed my posts?

Lol yeah U2 suck looooooooooooool

so can you at least admit you were wrong or are you just gunna pretend you missed my posts?

I liked a few of the songs.

Didn't think they were particularly BROAD. So my argument still stands.

good! we're getting somewhere

but your argument still doesn't stand for shit, mainly because you haven't been making much of one in the first place. I've seen a lot of bias statements but you have yet to actually put forward anything to back em up. You really didn't think there was a wide range of differences between the artists i posted? You're telling me they all belong under the same label?

jesus, you aren't even trying here