Johnny Rotten on Capital Radio Show 1977

dirtylenny

Basically, in the midst of all the punk furore where Johnny Rotten was painted as some kind of fucking Pariah, he went on a show with a fella by the name of Tommy Vance on English radio show where he had like...this whole show to himself to play the sorts of records HE liked...a really fucking interesting bunch of tunes comes out here and Johnny, who at the time as i say was thought of as the bringer of all things evil comes across as a very thoughtful, straightforward and honest young man. I don't suppose many'll be interested in this so i suppose its for the few who might be, anyway i find it really interesting and the mix and variety and plain out-there-ness of his selection of songs (all from his own collection apparently) to be quite interesting. Not to mention being a Pistols fanatic and this being one of not too many interviews out there from Johnny whilst he was in the firing line (and if you know anything about the Pistols history he really saw some shot and shell in them days) so its...i dunno, a point of interest. Shows himself first and foremost as a lover of music and someone who really really REALLY knows his game in regards to some pretty obscure forms of music and not just some spikey haired noise merchant with a floor tom where his brain should be.

Anyway, its here if you're interested:

Part 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QZ5J1H79

Part 2 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7IHA57MA

Edited by dirtylenny

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the link Lenny. Yeah he knows his stuff. Just read his book again recently - No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs. The guy is real, which is an all to rare thing these days.

I think he's putting together another book about PiL onwards. Would love to get that. Saw PiL in Glasgow last year. Immense stuff.

Guest Len B'stard

Thanks for the link Lenny. Yeah he knows his stuff. Just read his book again recently - No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs. The guy is real, which is an all to rare thing these days.

I think he's putting together another book about PiL onwards. Would love to get that. Saw PiL in Glasgow last year. Immense stuff.

He's been saying he's to do that since 1994 though dude, i wouldn't hold you breath on that count. At this point Mr Lydon is probably grieving the death of his stepdaughter although before that he was released a limited edition scrapbook type thing and recording the new album for PiL, due out sometime next year.