Sweden Rock Festival

Guest Iron Fist SS

MAGNUM (UK)

British pomp-rockers Magnum enjoy a massive cult status in Sweden, where the band earned their all-time biggest chart-success when the "Wings of Heaven" album made it to #2 in 1988. Many a Swede wept bitterly when Magnum, debuting with "Kingdom of Madness" in 1978 and also responsible for such monumental records as "Chase the Dragon" (1982) and "On a Storyteller's Night" (1985), decided to call it a day in 1995. Not surprisingly, the band's return to Sweden at SRF 2002 was a triumphant success, later cemented with more seminal records, including "Princess Alice and the Broken Arrow" (2007) and "Into the Valley of the Moonking" (2009). Guitarist/songwriter Tony Clarkin remains at the helm, with competent assistance from keyboard-wiz Mark Stanway, bassist Al Barrow, drummer Harry James (of Thunder repute) and - lest we forget - ever-soulful vocalist Bob Catley.

Not my cup of tea.

Magnum is possibly my favourite band. Saw them live at Debaser in Stockholm in September, fantastic show!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

To be honest, I haven't really heard them. Or I can't think of any song they've done or how they sound. But I would guess that they sucks.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

DANZIG (US)

Glenn Danzig has reached massive commercial success not just once, but thrice: he formed horrorpunk pioneers Misfits, who've been a standing influence on scores of punk and hard rock bands ever since their formation in 1977. In 1983 it was time to develop things with Samhain, a band that fused Misfits punk rage, dark heavy metal, plus brooding goth and new wave-vibes. In Samhain Danzig would form a musical partnership with bass player Eerie Von and guitarist John Christ - both of whom followed Glenn when the band Danzig was formed in 1987. The line-up was completed by drummer Chuck Biscuits and the rest, as they say, is history. With eight full length albums and tons of hits - "Mother", "Twist of Cain", "Devil's Plaything", "Dirty Black Summer", "How the Gods Kill" among others - in their catalogue Danzig will finally be making their debut at Sweden Rock Festival.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

NAZARETH (UK)

In the mid-70s, Scottish Nazareth was once of the biggest names in hard rock. They ingeniously mixed rugged, rocky tunes like "Razamanaz", "Hair of the Dog" and "Woke Up This Morning" with poppier covers like Joni Mitchells "This Flight Tonight" and the Everly Brothers "Love Hurts". The latter one gained its greatest momentum in Nazareth's version, as one of the greatest rock ballads of all time. The band has been a major influence on the likes of Hanoi Rocks and Guns n' Roses - in fact, Dan McCafferty is Axl Rose's role-model as a singer - and remains a very popular live-act, as they have proved numerous times at SRF. In 2008, they released the impressive "The Newz", their first studio album since the passing of drummer Darrell Sweet in 2009. Today, Nazareth consists of original members McCafferty and Pete Agnew (bass), the latter's son Lee Agnew on drums, plus long-time guitarist Jimmy Murrison.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

WATAIN (S)

Swedish Watain is one of the most influential and successful black metal-bands of today, and when they make their Sweden Rock Festival debut it will be a memorable occasion in more ways than one. As if it wasn't enough that their fourth album has a preliminary release date set for the days just before the festival, making this a golden opportunity to debut some coveted new material, the band has also promised a special tribute to the most revered and important black metal-act of all time: Bathory. Bathory-founder and only real member Quorthon passed away on June 7th 2004, and to honour the memory of his creations Watain will deliver a set consisting of 45 minutes of their own black metal magic, and 45 minutes of their own choice of Bathory classics. Raise the dead!

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

STEEL PANTHER (US)

In America, hair metal was long considered extinct - then came Steel Panther and showed just how wrong this was! Said Los Angeles-quartet have been around for roughly a decade, under different monickers - they released their debut "Hole Patrol" both in 2003 as Metal Shop, and in 2005 as Metal Skool. As Steel Panther, they debuted in 2009 with "Feel the Steel", and this album has made the public take serious notice. For the acclaimed music, reminiscent of glam/hair metal heroes like Poison, Slaughter et al, but even more for the ironic (?) lyrics. Titles like "Asian Hooker", "Stripper Girl" and "I Want Pussy" indicate, correctly, that the lyrics of Steel Panther would make a gangsta-rapper blush!

ALESTORM (UK)

Scotsmen Alestorm have swiftly become one of the most talked-about new metal bands of our time. They debuted in 2008 with "Captain Morgan's Revenge", an album of the folk metal persuasion and with a pirate image that would have gained an appreciative nod from the legendary Running Wild (RIP). Album number two, "Black Sails at Midnight", arrived promptly the following spring, and it hasn't taken Alestorm very long to find an audience, by touring heavily but also because their music is quite impressive, musically and from its entertainment value. For those who have longed for a band combining tough heavy metal-riffs with Celtic rhythms, and with a singer (Christopher Bowes) who sings about pirates with a bona fide Scottish accent, their patience has now been rewarded.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Satanisk_Slakt

W

STRATOVARIUS

One of the most influential bands of what is now referred to as power metal, Finnish Stratovarius, debuted in 1989 and got their domestic break with their fourth album "Fourth Dimension" (1995). The following releases "Episode" (1996), "Visions" (1997), "Destiny" (1998) and "Infinite" (2000) established the band as international heavy metal stars, but the following years brought an uneven production and internal strife leading to the band briefly disbanding in 2008. Shortly afterwards, former guitarist and main-man Timo Tolkki sgned over the rights to the name Stratovarius to his former colleagues, and May 2009 saw the release of the band's first album with new guitarist Matias Kupiainen, "Polaris". The new Stratovarius, completed by singer Timo Kotipelto, keyboardist Jens Johansson, drummer Jörg Michael and bassist Lauri Porra, now make their first appearance at SRF - something to look forward to for power metal-fans.

A BIG FUCKING YES! One of my favourite-bands! Haven't seen them live since... it must have been 04 or 05.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

You can usually buy them until late March or early April.

BEHEMOTH (PL)

Polish Behemoth is a band that lives up to its name. The bands hybrid of death and black metal truly sounds like a beast, especially on stage: the quartet's touring schedule is constantly filled to the brim, so it is a well-oiled machinery that comes to set our stage on fire. The band last visited us in 2005, and has since released the critically acclaimed albums "The Apostasy" (2007) and "Evangelion" (2009). Behemoth recently won a massive nine (!) categories in the British magazine Terrorizer's yearly readers' poll - including the category of best live band of 2009. According to the interview with frontman Nergal in Sweden Rock Magazine #68, there's a logical explanation to the band's constant hunger for being on stage: - We're addicted to the touring and the adrenaline. We can't help it. We feed off the energy of the audience. Prepare to be mauled.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Dude, seriously, you HAVE to go see D-A-D! It's the best Danish live act, EVER. Maybe Nephew is becoming a better live act, but I think D-A-D still holds the 1st place (funny how the two best live bands is called dad and nephew). I've seen them multiple times and they NEVER dissapoint! They've been active since 1982 and just keeps putting out great music.

I am also long time fan of D-A-D and especially of first albums Call Of The Wild (1986), Draws A Circle (1987), No Fuel Left For The Pilgrims (1989) and Riskin' It All (1991). Also seen 4-5 times at live.

But nowadays I think Volbeat is best Danish live act.

I hope to get to Sweden Rock finally in this year. From Finland some organisations makes trips to Sweden Rock (bus + ticket + hostel), so it should easy to go.

Edited by Jari-Pekka Laitio-Ramone

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Really wanna see Steel Panther.

Just because you wrote that I thought I should check them out, against my better knowing, since Sweden Rock posted a picture of them. They were as worthless as you could tell from the picture. I saw and listened to this video Death to all but metal and I can't see how you like that.

The music sucked and the video seemed very familiar. Then I realised that it's a copy from a video by Mötley or Twisted Sisters.