Sweden Rock Festival

Guest Iron Fist SS

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

EPICA (NL)

Every cloud has a silver lining. When guitarist Mark Jansen was forced to leave After Forever, as a consequence the new band Epica emerged. The latter group debuted with "The Phantom Agony" in 2003, and quickly made a name for themselves on the rising scene dominated by Nightwish and Within Temptation. Epica's defining features included the vocals of Simone Simons and the philosophical, new age-tinted lyrics. Third album "The Divine Conspiracy" (2007) elevated their career even further. Last year's "Design Your Universe" followed, and there is no doubt that Epica is currently one of the hottest names in melodic metal.

Yet another band I've never heard of.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Watain’s Bathory show at Sweden Rock Festival to be introduced by Quorthon’s father Boss

When Watain have finished their regular concert, they will return to the stage at Sweden Rock Festival for a unique tribute concert playing classic Bathory songs. Saturday June 12 promises to be even more special, as Watain's Bathory set will be introduced by non other than late Bathory mainman Quorthon's father and producer Börje "Boss" Forsberg.

Watain’s Bathory show at Sweden Rock Festival to be introduced by Quorthon’s father Boss

When Watain have finished their regular concert, they will return to the stage at Sweden Rock Festival for a unique tribute concert playing classic Bathory songs. Saturday June 12 promises to be even more special, as Watain's Bathory set will be introduced by non other than late Bathory mainman Quorthon's father and producer Börje "Boss" Forsberg.

Woa, this will be great! Finally I'll get to hear som Bathory live, even if it's without Quorthon

Fuck yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mayhem

The ultimate pioneers of the Norwegian black metal-scene released their, and the whole scene's first studio recording in 1987 - "Deathcrush". Mayhem, then centered around founder/guitarist Euronymous, became infamous for a live-show with such features as impaled pigs' heads, as well as singer Dead's suicide in 1991. The band's second, even more historical record "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" arrived posthumously in 1994 - after Euronymous was murdered by the man who played bass on the album, Count Grishnackh of Burzum. However, this was not the end of the arguably most influential deliverers of primitive, definitive musical blackness. Drummer Hallhammer, original bassist Necrobutcher and new guitarist Blasphemer resuscitated Mayhem, and in 2004 "De Mysteriis"-vocalist Attila Csihar returned to the fold as well. Following Mayhem's fifth studio record "Ordo Ad Chao" (2007) Blasphemer took his leave. These days, Hellhammer, Necrobutcher and Attila take the stage along with deadly guitar-duo Morfeus and Silmaeth, and with this line-up Mayhem will now make their long overdue SRF-debut. Rejoice, all true black metal-lovers!

:tongue2: this could be seweet....

:thumbsup: (entering ticketmaster)

Fuck yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mayhem

The ultimate pioneers of the Norwegian black metal-scene released their, and the whole scene's first studio recording in 1987 - "Deathcrush". Mayhem, then centered around founder/guitarist Euronymous, became infamous for a live-show with such features as impaled pigs' heads, as well as singer Dead's suicide in 1991. The band's second, even more historical record "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" arrived posthumously in 1994 - after Euronymous was murdered by the man who played bass on the album, Count Grishnackh of Burzum. However, this was not the end of the arguably most influential deliverers of primitive, definitive musical blackness. Drummer Hallhammer, original bassist Necrobutcher and new guitarist Blasphemer resuscitated Mayhem, and in 2004 "De Mysteriis"-vocalist Attila Csihar returned to the fold as well. Following Mayhem's fifth studio record "Ordo Ad Chao" (2007) Blasphemer took his leave. These days, Hellhammer, Necrobutcher and Attila take the stage along with deadly guitar-duo Morfeus and Silmaeth, and with this line-up Mayhem will now make their long overdue SRF-debut. Rejoice, all true black metal-lovers!

Going to see them in may, headlining a metalnight almost right outside the Nidaros doom :wub: Has to be epic...

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

CATHEDRAL (UK)

When doom metal was established as a separate sub-genre in the early 90s, Cathedral was one of its most influential and successful acts. Singer and founder Lee Dorrian used to be in Napalm Death, and Cathedral's debut "Forest of Equilibrium" (1991) was also kind of extreme - a pitch-black, sinister classic. The band's later works have been more groove-orientated and not equally slow, but still decidedly heavy. After their heralded eighth album "The Garden of Unearthly Delights" (2006), many believed Cathedral called it a day. However, now they're back with their progressive double album "The Guessing Game" and are also headed for this year's SRF.

I'm not really into doom metal, but Paradise Lost (taking it that they are doom metal) has made some good songs.

Paradise Lost has made some very different albums. Their old stuff is definately doom, some of their newer drifted way into different genres, some were more like pop. Lately they have gone more back to towards their roots.

PS: I do like som of their non-doom albums as well :)

My favorite paradise lost albums is probably 'Epic' and 'Draconian times'

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

PRAYING MANTIS (UK)

Their classic debut "Time Tells No Lies" (1981) established Praying Mantis as one of the prime melodic bands within the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Sadly the band split up shortly afterwards due to various problems, including a conflict with Rainbow about who would get to release the single "I Surrender". Praying Mantis' Japanese fan-base in particular remained devoted, and the band reunited in 1990. The comeback-album "Predator in Disguise" was followed by more, equally excellent releases, most recently the lauded "Sanctuary" in 2009. The band's line-up has changed numerous times (former members include Iron Maiden-refugees Paul Di'Anno, Dennis Stratton and Clive Burr), but its nucleus has always been the Troy brothers, Chris and Tino on bass and guitar respectively. At Praying Mantis' SRF-debut the duo will be accompanied by guitarist Andy Burgess, drummer Benjy Reid and singer Mike Freeland.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Aldo Nova cancels show at Sweden Rock Festival

We are very sad to announce that Aldo Nova is forced to cancel his show at Sweden Rock Festival 2010.

Aldo has underwent complicated surgery and his doctor has forbidden him to do any live performances in the nearest future.

As Aldo has really been looking forward to this show, he promises to be back to play at Sweden Rock Festival in 2011.

We wish Aldo a fast recovery and look forward to see him on stage next year!

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

HIGH ON FIRE (US)

Sleep from California is one of the leading cult-acts in doom and stoner. The band expired in 1998, and guitarist Matt Pike formed High On Fire where he also adopted the role of frontman. High On Fire execute a more brutally metallic sound, combining old and new influences in an extraordinary fashion. The trio debuted in 2000, though many claim that they truly found their sound with their second album "Surrounded By Thieves" (2002). In 2010, High On Fire have released their fifth album "Snakes for the Divine", produced by Greg Fidelman (Metallica, Slayer). With this record the band has also caught serious attention from European audiences - quite possibly High On Fire's debut at SRF will coincide with their big international break. This will be their only show in Scandinavia 2010.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

AMON DÜÜL II (D)

Amon Düül II is one of the principal names in kraut-rock history. They formed in 1968 as something of a musical collective where players came with just a few members as the nucleus. Their music was psychedelic, improvisation-heavy, multi-faceted and mostly very dark - the band has been called "Germany's Yes", which gives a certain, albeit not complete insight to their sound. Their three first albums "Phallus Dei" (1969), "Yeti" (1970) and "Tanz der Lemminge" (1971) are possibly their most historical contributions to German rock. The music got less multidimensional and, according to the fans, a lot weaker from the mid-70s. However, in the 90s Amon Düül II got their act together once more and continue to defend their position as one of the prime exponents of psychedelic rock.

Kraut-Rock you say? Hehe that genre is new to me :)

Edit:

Sauerkraut FTW!

Krautrock according to wikipedia:

Krautrock is a generic name for the experimental music scene that appeared in Germany in the late 1960s and gained popularity throughout the 1970s, especially in Britain. BBC DJ John Peel in particular is largely credited with spreading the reputation of krautrock outside of the German-speaking world.

Edited by -Sephiroth-

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

TREAT (S)

The mid-80s was the golden age of Swedish hair metal. Treat was, alongside Europe (of course) the biggest band of the genre. Their first four albums, released in 1985-89, all left lasting impressions in Swedish hard-rock history. Even In Flames made a cover of "World of Promises" off Treat's third, most classic album "Dreamhunter" (1987)! When Treat released their fifth, eponymous album in 1992, only guitarist Anders Wikström - nowadays a professional songwriter - remained from the original line-up. The band folded the following year. In 2005 Treat made a somewhat hesitant return to the limelight, but this time the comeback is for real, with a brand new album. "Coup de Grace" has already made Treat-devotees squeal with joy, and makes the band's return to SRF all the more welcome.

THE SCREAMIN' LORDS (US)

The Screamin' Lords from Los Angeles is the brainchild of bassist José Ferro. What the band plays is raw, blues-based and sexy hard-rock that has been compared to AC/DC, Judas Priest and Thin Lizzy, and their debut "Long Live Me" was met with rave reviews. Besides the music, the album has also received lots of attention for its guest stars, such as top-vocalists Kelly Keeling (Baton Rouge, MSG) and Robin McAuley (MSG, Survivor) and guitar-heroes Chris Poland (Megadeth, OHM) and George Lynch (Dokken, Lynch Mob, Souls of We).

This was the two last bands on this festival.

TREAT (S)

The mid-80s was the golden age of Swedish hair metal. Treat was, alongside Europe (of course) the biggest band of the genre. Their first four albums, released in 1985-89, all left lasting impressions in Swedish hard-rock history. Even In Flames made a cover of "World of Promises" off Treat's third, most classic album "Dreamhunter" (1987)! When Treat released their fifth, eponymous album in 1992, only guitarist Anders Wikström - nowadays a professional songwriter - remained from the original line-up. The band folded the following year. In 2005 Treat made a somewhat hesitant return to the limelight, but this time the comeback is for real, with a brand new album. "Coup de Grace" has already made Treat-devotees squeal with joy, and makes the band's return to SRF all the more welcome.

THE SCREAMIN' LORDS (US)

The Screamin' Lords from Los Angeles is the brainchild of bassist José Ferro. What the band plays is raw, blues-based and sexy hard-rock that has been compared to AC/DC, Judas Priest and Thin Lizzy, and their debut "Long Live Me" was met with rave reviews. Besides the music, the album has also received lots of attention for its guest stars, such as top-vocalists Kelly Keeling (Baton Rouge, MSG) and Robin McAuley (MSG, Survivor) and guitar-heroes Chris Poland (Megadeth, OHM) and George Lynch (Dokken, Lynch Mob, Souls of We).

This was the two last bands on this festival.

Sounds exciting.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, FUCK! Seems like I'm not going............................ :( I already have tickets... But my friend didn't get time off from work in any way, and I'm not going to a 4-days festival by myself. Looks like I need to try sell them, unfortunately. Well, then I'll get money to go to another gnr show at least... But it sucks, I really looked forward to this festival. Hope someone want my tickets though..