Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

Be strong, GNRfamTM, we're all in this together :facepalm:

All the shows I'd go this year were postponed but this has to be the dumbest and most cryptic official statement I've read so far.

I invite you all to read the official Iron Maiden statement on social media, the difference is astonishing

Edited by dgnr
  • Like 2
  • Wow 2

11 minutes ago, dgnr said:

I invite you all to read the official Iron Maiden statement on social media, the difference is astonishing

Very well done by Maiden; extraordinary, considering who knows what the world will look like next year (virus Phase II, etc)

FWIW; We were just notified on Saturday that the Robert Plant show we were supposed to see on May 19th in Portchester NY was cancelled.

38 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

No other band has done this- just let dates sail past without being rescheduled have they? Correct me if I'm wrong here....

As far as I know this hasn't happened, has it?

And weren't you the one harping on about how they should put out a statement? Well now they have.

40 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

So.....the money just sits in their account until they decide what they want to do? Astonishing. 

They don't have the money.

34 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

The money is not in their account. It’s in the promoters/ticketing account 

Having to postpone/cancel/reschedule every major concert globally and provide refunds is a logistical nightmare where if done improperly, prob bankrupts a company 

This is the key thing to consider.

47 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

What a lame statement. First: the "things are changing daily" part doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the statement. Second: the tour is not happening not because you want to keep fans and crew safe, but because events are not allowed. 

It took them weeks to come up with that? And nobody still knows if they get their money back. Fuck you, @Fernando

Probably insurance-based wording. Whether or not a pandemic qualifies as a force majeur is up for debate. Government-imposed cancelations are less of a grey area. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

As far as I know this hasn't happened, has it?

And weren't you the one harping on about how they should put out a statement? Well now they have.

They don't have the money.

This is the key thing to consider.

Well, it's due to happen in 9 days. So lets see in 9 days if we get the rescheduled dates shall we? I know which side I'd lean towards.....

They've put out a statement they should have weeks ago, which tells nobody anything they didn't know. Forgive us if we aren't all bowled over by it. Might have guessed you'd 'pop up' to defend it though.  

I couldn't give a flying fuck who has the money - all these promoters and ticket agencies seem to have managed to come up with rescheduled dates and refund options for other bands.

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

Just cancel all dates. If you reschedule next year then put them up for sale from scratch

That's what Bon Jovi did I believe. 

Rescheduling is fair enough though I think.....as long as you tell people when they will be rescheduled to! People won't be happy watching the date of their gig go past and having no clue about when or if it may be happening. As I said before though, I've NEVER seen that happen with any band, so they have 9 days to make sure they're not the first! 

1 hour ago, dgnr said:

Be strong, GNRfamTM, we're all in this together :facepalm:

All the shows I'd go this year were postponed but this has to be the dumbest and most cryptic official statement I've read so far.

Aerosmith, System of a down, Diana Ross, Faith no More have no proper postponement/rescheduled messages either. Rammstein released their statement, not saying much more than GNR at the end of last week. In Austria there is a scheme to issue coupons for cancelled shows valid until the end of '22. Only then you get the money back, should you choose to not buy a new ticket. In Switzerland they say that all postponed shows tickets (even though no new dates have been set) stay valid and that you can't return your tickets. It's not only Guns N' Roses that is fucked up. The whole industry is.

• Like 3

Andy Copping (Live Nation & Download Festival) has just put on Instagram that he’s bummed to have had to have postponed these shows (so shows that gnr had to wait until LN) but also talks about rescheduled dates.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Well, it's due to happen in 9 days. So lets see in 9 days if we get the rescheduled dates shall we? I know which side I'd lean towards.....

They've put out a statement they should have weeks ago, which tells nobody anything they didn't know. Forgive us if we aren't all bowled over by it. Might have guessed you'd 'pop up' to defend it though.  

I couldn't give a flying fuck who has the money - all these promoters and ticket agencies seem to have managed to come up with rescheduled dates and refund options for other bands.

Just calling you out on your hypocrisy.

As for who has the money, the big issue is that it's a live nation promoted tour.

Same as with Motley Crue and their tour, there an announcement of 'postponement' but Live Nation doesn't have the money to cancel the tour.

18 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Just calling you out on your hypocrisy.

As for who has the money, the big issue is that it's a live nation promoted tour.

Same as with Motley Crue and their tour, there an announcement of 'postponement' but Live Nation doesn't have the money to cancel the tour.

Hahaha! Yeah, I'm a total hypocrite. That's a good one. You got me! 

I wouldn't play the 'calling out' game though. There are maybe things people could 'call you out' for I think......

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Hahaha! Yeah, I'm a total hypocrite. That's a good one. You got me! 

I wouldn't play the 'calling out' game though. There are maybe things people could 'call you out' for I think......

Just calling it as I see it.

I have no idea what your second bit relates to. Elaborate. 

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Aerosmith, System of a down, Diana Ross, Faith no More have no proper postponement/rescheduled messages either. Rammstein released their statement, not saying much more than GNR at the end of last week. In Austria there is a scheme to issue coupons for cancelled shows valid until the end of '22. Only then you get the money back, should you choose to not buy a new ticket. In Switzerland they say that all postponed shows tickets (even though no new dates have been set) stay valid and that you can't return your tickets. It's not only Guns N' Roses that is fucked up. The whole industry is.

As far as I remember Rammstein wrote they are trying to figure out if they can reschedule the shows. GNR didnt even write what they are trying to do... their statement doesn t say reschedule anywhere if I am not mistaken... that s bad no information at all ☹

27 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Can we go back to talking about Billie Eilish?

Just never been much of a Eilish fan.

And I should be, her music 'genre' is right up my alley.

Don't mind 'all the good girls go to hell.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dgnr said:

Just read it. Wow....I'm impressed! Now THAT is how you communicate to your fans to show them that you care and keep them in the loop. And with such detail! Bravo.  :headbang:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Just read it. Wow....I'm impressed! Now THAT is how you communicate to your fans to show them that you care and keep them in the loop. And with such detail! Bravo.  :headbang:

that's the thing though: it seems Gn'R, as always, is taking the opposite approach. Their only concern is to cover their own ass. They don't want to risk being liable for any revenue loss and lawsuits so they're probably being extra careful with wording and they just wait for the last possible moment to give a statement about cancelling or postponing tour dates and I think it's because they just don't give a fuck about the fans.

so many bands are in the same boat and yet their actions couldn't be more different like Maiden's commendable handling of the situation so there is no excuse that sticks if you look at it objectively. Gn'R is just letting the lawyers take care of it officially. Corporate behavior to the max.

Edited by Rovim

I just saw the "GNR FAM" and though 'MyGNR is going to love this' hahaha

I mean, we knew the tour wasn't happening, but it's good to have an update. I think the postponing delay has to do with LiveNation, venue availability, not knowing when the fuck people are going to be on the streets safely, and willing to go to a massive concert again. And the call of cancelling it altogether must be a LiveNation call I guess.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

that's the thing though: it seems Gn'R, as always, is taking the opposite approach. Their only concern is to cover their own ass. They don't want to risk being liable for any revenue loss and lawsuits so they're probably being extra careful with wording and they just wait for the last possible moment to give a statement about cancelling or postponing tour dates and I think it's because they just don't give a fuck about the fans.

so many bands are in the same boat and yet their actions couldn't be more different like Maiden's commendable handling of the situation so there is no excuse that sticks if you look at it objectively. Gn'R is just letting the lawyers take care of it officially. Corporate behavior to the max.

Yes, they are obviously being careful because why the hell would you risk being sued for millions when you can avoid it?

I'm not excusing them leaving ticket holders completely in the dark but I think this negative reaction is way off the mark. Were you going to any of the dates they were playing? I was and I have no idea when I'll get a rescheduled date or refund but I accept that, we don't know all the intricacies of dealing with a multi-million tour so yeah other bands managed to pull the plug weeks ahead, others are still trying to work things out. It's not as black and white as "they don't care about their fans, it's just about the money".

Yes, they obviously want the money and if tomorrow they were allowed to tour but the money was halved I can pretty much guarantee they wouldn't go out on tour... why do you have problem with them making money? 

The only thing worth being pissed off about gnr is that they left ticket holders in the dark and to a certain extent are still leaving us in the dark about refunds etc. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The only thing worth being pissed off about gnr is that they left ticket holders in the dark and to a certain extent are still leaving us in the dark about refunds etc. 

but this is exactly what I'm referring to when I say they don't care. If you read enough statements made by other bands it becomes clear there are ways to still cover your ass but do the most that you can in order to not leave fans in the dark.

I don't need to be an expert to see that even if there is 1% chance of risking the business (and I do understand it's also a business) that Gn'R won't make a move for the fans. I mean... how can you honestly believe they handled this professionally after reading Maiden's statement or a bunch of different statements made by other bands that actually did handle it professionally is beyond me.

Edited by Rovim

20 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but this is exactly what I'm referring to when I say they don't care. If you read enough statements made by other bands it becomes clear there are ways to still cover your ass but do the most that you can in order to not leave fans in the dark.

I don't need to be an expert to see that even if there is 1% chance of risking the business (and I do understand it's also a business) that Gn'R won't make a move for the fans. I mean... how can you honestly believe they handled this professionally after reading Maiden's statement or a bunch of different statements made by other bands that actually did handle it professionally is beyond me.

Maiden handled it as well as you can handle a complete standstill to your business, and that's what this is. 

I don't say they handled it professionally, in fact I kinda said the exact opposite... but I also pointed out that there any many factors that go into this and it's not as simple as saying "we're cancelling".

As far as business before fans, yeah! we've seen many, many things to say that is their motto! I'm not arguing that one bit! I will say though... EVERY major band is the same, they just know how to massage us a bit better. I'm not a fan of the GNR model for fan interaction, so don't misunderstand my last post for apologising for them! as I definitely am not!

20 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Maiden handled it as well as you can handle a complete standstill to your business, and that's what this is. 

I don't say they handled it professionally, in fact I kinda said the exact opposite... but I also pointed out that there any many factors that go into this and it's not as simple as saying "we're cancelling".

As far as business before fans, yeah! we've seen many, many things to say that is their motto! I'm not arguing that one bit! I will say though... EVERY major band is the same, they just know how to massage us a bit better. I'm not a fan of the GNR model for fan interaction, so don't misunderstand my last post for apologising for them! as I definitely am not!

"massaging" is a part of communication sometimes so it is important and it can go a long way in not pissing off your fanbase. Not sure what you're arguing here tbh: that it's a tough situation to maneuver? should be done better by a band of this size imo.

and while many fans probably realized that no shows were going to take place in the near future, a lot of fans probably would have appreciated a more open discussion by the band about what was happening. (including me) There are too many ways to make it happen without even saying much and that's my main issue with how they've handled it. (no different than almost any other situation that involves communicating with Gn'R fans unfortunately)

Edited by Rovim