Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

9 minutes ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

I think Slash said it was about Axl's dog, but I assumed he was joking. If it really was about a dog that makes it worse. Poor dog.

If you believe Axl, OIAM was also initially a joke and merely sounds as if he was serious because he has to sing it a certain way because of the music.

As for blaming a song,  I'm not saying a criminal should be excused on the grounds that "the song made me do it". However, I do think it's true to say that just as music can have a positive influence on people it can also have a negative influence on some people. If you put out a feel-good song about killing a woman, it is foreseeable that some potential killer out there might be inspired by your song and that is something you will then have to live with.

I get what you are saying, but there has to be personal responsibility. I remember Ozzy being sued by parents of a teen who committed suicide back in the 80s. The teen listened to Suicide Solutions and killed himself. The judge dismissed the lawsuit. It was unfortunate that it happened  and that the guy didn't get help for his mental heath. Nevertheless, it wasn't Ozzy's fault. 

10 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

I can't help but roll my eyes whenever I see the argument that Axl is not a racist because he has Slash in the band, or because he had a black bodyguard, or because he has Brazilians working for him, or any other version of the same argument. It's kind of like saying that a man can't possibly be a sexist if he has a wife. In reality, lots of people have black people or women in their lives. Unfortunately that doesn't stop them from being racist, sexist, misogynist. There are even black people who are racist towards other black people. Just as there are women who are misogynists.

But sexist people do not dislike being with a woman. Quite to the contrary. Racist people do not like other races and wouldn't choose to be around them, if they are not absolutely forced to. They wouldn't voluntarily be around them. So that comparison sucks really.

Huh? Racist blacks towards blacks? Like whites towards whites? Or this that only something you assume black people would do? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

But sexist people do not dislike being with a woman. Quite to the contrary. Racist people do not like other races and wouldn't choose to be around them, if they are not absolutely forced to. They wouldn't voluntarily be around them. So that comparison sucks really.

Not all racists dislike being around other races. Some quite enjoy the sense of superiority. The same goes for sexists.

Besides, not all racists are extremists. A person might have racist beliefs without feeling the need to completely isolate themselves from anybody of a different race.

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Huh? Racist blacks towards blacks? Like whites towards whites? Or this that only something you assume black people would do? 

It's not just something I assumed. There have been studies that showed black people were prejudiced against other black people. Most likely it doesn't apply to all black people everywhere but either way I didn't find the result surprising. If a black person grows up in an environment which is racist towards black people, what would make them immune to it? Oftentimes the result is a sense of inferiority as well as unconsciously adopting the same racist beliefs.

18 hours ago, Lio said:

Oh, did you forget in 1992 there was a little song called Cop Killer, after the riots in LA? Bodycount was asked to support GNR back then. That's 28 years ago. Don't make it as if Axl Rose just got woke and jumped on the bandwagon. We aren't all too young to still remember.

After the promoter in LA asked to replace Bodycount by another act for the LA shows, this is what Axl had to say:

Great song, been listening to it a lot lately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Admittedly ive been listening to the winners lose a fair bit this week. I liked the video clip when it came out.

BC were something really cool when they came out, and practically came out of nowhere. Remember seeing there goes the neighbourhood on music TV in OZ (Rage) when that song first came out.

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Edited by Sydney Fan

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Admittedly ive been listening to the winners lose a fair bit this week. I liked the video clip when it came out.

BC were something really cool when they came out, and practically came out of nowhere. Remember seeing there goes the neighbourhood on music TV in OZ (Rage) when that song first came out.

We all got it because it was big news when cop killer was banned in Aus. Had to get the banned version for bragging rights.

On 3.6.2020 at 4:30 PM, Voodoochild said:

I've been saying this for a long time. The incompetence of TB is being used as an excuse to be blatantly racist. Every time I see people mentioning one of them, it's mentioned as "Brazilian leech" or "Brazilian assholes".. Or even comparing Beta with a Mexican housekeeper from the Family Guy (which was also racist to begin of). As if you can't just dislike this family without needing to point out their Latin-American roots. 

There's a very tolerant policy towards this kind of behavior too. Sure, the majority of this fan base is white dudes.

I'm not sure, but I think some of the people who call them "Brazilian leeches" are doing so to specify which leeches they talking about and not because they are insulting them for being Brazilian. You could leave out "Brazilian" and just say "leeches", but then it wouldn't be clear whether you are referring to Team Brazil or, for example, Del James or Jarmo or whoever else might be considered a leech. So I don't think it's necessarily racist.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

I'm not sure, but I think some of the people who call them "Brazilian leeches" are doing so to specify which leeches they talking about and not because they are insulting them for being Brazilian. You could leave out "Brazilian" and just say "leeches", but then it wouldn't be clear whether you are referring to Team Brazil or, for example, Del James or Jarmo or whoever else might be considered a leech. So I don't think it's necessarily racist.

Oh, I see. That's not racist at all then.

Sarcasm detector (With images) | Sarcasm detector, The simpsons ...

9 minutes ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

Calling someone, or referring to someone with the proper term based on where they are from, is not inherently racist. In fact, where someone was born or from is not always an indicator of race, so one could argue it is racist to assume someone's race based on where they are from. (Mexican, American, Brazilian, etc.)

The same can be applied to assuming the gender of someone based on cosmetic details. I walk and talk like a man, but what if I identify as a woman?

Some people who are of a race, identify as another race too.

What a time to live in, eh?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

What a wonderful example. Nobody calls Jarmo a "Swedish leech". Even iff that happens, it's obviously not as often.  

I'm sorry if you don't see what's wrong with that. But it isn't up to you to decide if something is offensive. 

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Calling someone, or referring to someone with the proper term based on where they are from, is not inherently racist. In fact, where someone was born or from is not always an indicator of race, so one could argue it is racist to assume someone's race based on where they are from. (Mexican, American, Brazilian, etc.)

If you want to get technical, ok. It's not racism, because our race is Human. The skin color, the nationality or even the genes doesn't make us a different race. 

That's not even remotely what's being discussed here. 

I watched a video yesterday by one of my favorite tech youtubers. He said "no matter what I do, I'll always be 'that BLACK youtuber'". I think the same apply here. Specially when the nationality is always attached with an offense. 

• Like 3

On 4.6.2020 at 4:36 AM, Scream of the Butterfly said:

It's not just something I assumed. There have been studies that showed black people were prejudiced against other black people. Most likely it doesn't apply to all black people everywhere but either way I didn't find the result surprising. If a black person grows up in an environment which is racist towards black people, what would make them immune to it? Oftentimes the result is a sense of inferiority as well as unconsciously adopting the same racist beliefs.

Even those "studies" are racist, suggesting that not even blacks like blacks. So I call bullshit to that.

But whatever, I think it is clear that despite One in a million Axl is not a racist.

On 6/3/2020 at 4:35 AM, action said:

All those artists jumping the bandwagon now, speaking out against racism, have as much credibility as a fox in a chicken's den.

When the fox preaches, take care of your geese

Especially when they retreat to their cozy gated mansions. Unlike the rest of us. 

and what many fail to realize or admit is this stuff predominantly takes place in liberal running states/cities. High crime and tension, heavily policed cities 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

aksi what many fail to realize or admit is this stuff predominantly takes place in liberal running states/cities. High crime and tension, heavily policed cities 

It happens everywhere - if you look at the cases of the past few decades and the most notable ones there are plenty of occurences in southern states.  I would say that saying "this stuff" is at the fault of the liberals running things is not quite an accurate correlation