Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This must be one of the very rare times Axl has tagged someone, and probably the only time he has done it in a happy birthday tweet.

Not only that, but posting that pic of Slash confirms Axl has a pic of Slash saved in his phone. 2020 really is something else. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

I honestly cannot think of a single negative thing about Gilby except that he wasn't in the band long enough. Pawnshop Guitars shows that a Guns album with his songwriting input could have been killer.

Same... Him and Slash had great chemistry. Listen to the versions of KOHD and Patience from the 93 tour.. They are phenomenal compared to the flat renditions they do today.  Gilby's background vocals aren't mentioned enough but they were a big part in those acoustic sets as well.  Him and Slash also showed their chemistry in the studio on TSI, The first Snakepit record and the songs they did on Pawnshop guitars.  Cure Me or Kill Me, Monkey Chow and Dead Flowers would have been perfect spots on the next Guns album that never happened. I bet Slash, Axl and Gilby could have made a heck of a writing team.. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Same... Him and Slash had great chemistry. Listen to the versions of KOHD and Patience from the 93 tour.. They are phenomenal compared to the flat renditions they do today.  Gilby's background vocals aren't mentioned enough but they were a big part in those acoustic sets as well.  Him and Slash also showed their chemistry in the studio on TSI, The first Snakepit record and the songs they did on Pawnshop guitars.  Cure Me or Kill Me, Monkey Chow and Dead Flowers would have been perfect spots on the next Guns album that never happened. I bet Slash, Axl and Gilby could have made a heck of a writing team.. 

Couldn't have said it better!! In the perfect (obviously not Guns) world that would work like a clockwork...maybe even Matt could have his few moments + Duff (who was still Punk As Fuck then).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Creed said:

Well, thats hard to tell. Gilby is the perfect live replacement for Izzy. He made Slash sound even better on stage imo and he has a cool charisma about him. Cure me or kill me was really nice.

But there must have been reasons why they didnt took Gilby to VR. I love Gilby in rythm guitar and backup vocals.

Didn't Gilby say before that the reason he and Slash never worked in any other bands full time post-Guns was that Gilby wanted to move on and play lead guitar too? I feel like I remember something to that effect but I'm sure someone can confirm. It seems like they are still on good terms but that would also explain why he's never been more than a guest with Slash on anything in recent years.

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I couldn't agree more. I think Slash, Axl, and Gilby could have been the next best thing to having Izzy back around for the writing sessions based on the material Gilby put out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, James Bond said:

Didn't Gilby say before that the reason he and Slash never worked in any other bands full time post-Guns was that Gilby wanted to move on and play lead guitar too? I feel like I remember something to that effect but I'm sure someone can confirm. It seems like they are still on good terms but that would also explain why he's never been more than a guest with Slash on anything in recent years.

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah I think Gilby was trying to focus more on his solo career around VR time, but idk if he was ever asked directly to join. Would've been cool if he was in VR though.

He said he was never asked to join VR but he wouldn't have been interested if he had been asked because he saw himself as a lead guitar player.

My impression of Gilby that he's a nice and down-to-earth guy, but also a very proud person, so he has an attitude that he "doesn't care". He had the same attitude in interviews after he was out of GnR (he had presented as his own choice to leave) and recently about his non induction in the Hall Of Fame (he said he didn't care about the HOF but at the same time he sounded hurt over the whole thing).

Maybe Slash never forgave Gilby for suing GnR over the pinball machine back in 1995? Who knows. I think that although Slash doesn't seem to hold grudges in the way Axl does and can be "cool" with everybody (still talk to them or even jam with them occasionally) that doesn't mean he wants much to do with them or work with them on a permanent basis.

Edited by Blackstar

14 hours ago, James Bond said:

I couldn't agree more. I think Slash, Axl, and Gilby could have been the next best thing to having Izzy back around for the writing sessions based on the material Gilby put out.

I dont know why axl never thought gilbys songwriting was any good and didnt feel gilby would be much of a songwriter on the post illusions followup.

Edited by Sydney Fan

23 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I dont know why axl never thought gilbys songwriting was any good.

maybe it wasn't the style that he was looking for. I think Axl never saw Gilby as a replacement for Izzy beyond the live shows. In the end, Gilby said Chinese wasn't his thing. Paul's, Robin's, and Bucket's contributions definitely aren't too similar in style to Gilby's tunes.

I like Gilby's style. An underrated album of his is "Swag" from 2002. Very enjoyable imo.

Edited by Rovim

6 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I dont know why axl never thought gilbys songwriting was any good and didnt feel gilby would be much of a songwriter on the post illusions followup.

Cause he was still drunken from the power of Izzy Stradlin. 

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

maybe it wasn't the style that he was looking for. I think Axl never saw Gilby as a replacement for Izzy beyond the live shows. In the end, Gilby said Chinese wasn't his thing. Paul, Robin, and Bucket definitely aren't too similar in style to Gilby's tunes.

I like Gilby's style. An underrated album of his is "Swag" from 2002. Very enjoyable imo.

Will track that album down 👍.

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I guess he wanted to quickly make way for Paul, for without Paul, there would be no more Guns N' Roses.

13 hours ago, Rovim said:

maybe it wasn't the style that he was looking for. I think Axl never saw Gilby as a replacement for Izzy beyond the live shows. In the end, Gilby said Chinese wasn't his thing. Paul's, Robin's, and Bucket's contributions definitely aren't too similar in style to Gilby's tunes.

“Alien” from the Swag album - my favorite Gilby song.

What a great time 2000-2002 was for my 17-19yr old self. Blasting Snakepit, Loaded, Gilby, Izzy & nuguns in my first car(Mustang). Visiting Hollywood & the Strip for the first time 

• Like 1