Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

20 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah I think Gilby was trying to focus more on his solo career around VR time, but idk if he was ever asked directly to join. Would've been cool if he was in VR though.

VR wanted to experiment with a newer more modern sound especially once Scott signed up. Had Izzy stuck it out things would’ve turned out differently because those guys make magic. Once Izzy left they wanted to steer clear From sounding like rehashed Rolling Stones/Bad Company. Also VR was competing with Nuguns. 

Gilby was done being a solo artist by that time as he came to realize making expensive records and footing the bill for logistically expensive tours to go and play empty bars in front of 10-15 bar dwellers just wasn’t lucrative enough. Gilby certainly would’ve jumped at the opportunity to join VR if asked. 

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

VR wanted to experiment with a newer more modern sound especially once Scott signed up. Had Izzy stuck it out things would’ve turned out differently because those guys make magic. Once Izzy left they wanted to steer clear From sounding like rehashed Rolling Stones/Bad Company. Also VR was competing with Nuguns. 

Gilby was done being a solo artist by that time as he came to realize making expensive records and footing the bill for logistically expensive tours to go and play empty bars in front of 10-15 bar dwellers just wasn’t lucrative enough. Gilby certainly would’ve jumped at the opportunity to join VR if asked. 

I think Slash just wanted VR to be successful. So he tried to get Izzy to do it (not very modern sounding) but with a proper lead singer. When that didn't happen, he hired Kushner with his more modern sound. Maybe so it won't sound really dated. (at least Izzy had Gn'R name credibility and reputation)

I also agree with @Blackstar about Gilby: I believe he would have been thrilled to be the rhythm player for VR. But you don't look cool if you say you didn't get the gig cause the band wasn't interested.

Edited by Rovim

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think Slash just wanted VR to be successful. So he tried to get Izzy to do it (not very modern sounding) but with a proper lead singer. When that didn't happen, he hired Kushner with his more modern sound. Maybe so it won't sound really dated.

I also agree with @Blackstar about Gilby: I believe he would have been thrilled to be the rhythm player for VR. But you don't look cool if you say you didn't get the gig.

They already had Kushner when Izzy was rehearsing with them. They were playing with three guitarists.

• Like 1

Yea they had Kushner on deck knowing Izzys history.

it was duff who brought Kushner in. Dave replaced Squires when he and Rouse were busy with their band ACS. Just so happened to be that Slash and Scott knew Dave.

Dave was the perfect fit for VR. Truly perfect. 

Matter of fact since we’ll never see Izzy I rather have Dave in gnr over Richard & Gilby. 

He’d add some of the creative element  that was lost when Robin Finck bolted. Maybe Axl will be inspired again. He’s been mailing it in ever since Robin left as he clearly had no confirm Richard, frank bumble etc

Edited by Top-Hatted One

7 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea they had Kushner on deck knowing Izzys history.

it was duff who brought Kushner in. Dave replaced. Squires when he and Rouse were busy with their band ACS. Just so happened to be that Slash and Scott knew Dave.

Dave was the perfect fit for VR. Truly perfect. 

Matter of fact since we’ll never see Izzy I rather have Dave I’m gnr over Richard & Gilby. 

He’d add some of the creative element  that was lost when Robin Finck bolted. Maybe Axl will be inspired again. He’s been mailing it in ever since Robin left as he clearly had no confirm Richard, frank bumble etc

think about all the unreleased material that Robin probably wrote for Axl though. And I think Richard could turn out to be a nice surprise in the studio with Slash. They can potentially do the same thing that happened with Better, where Richard added a part that completed the song. I don't think he's incapable of composing memorable riffs or tunes and as a player he's just on another level compared to Dave imo. It's not like he wrote tons of shit for VR. (Get Out The Door and what else?)

Edited by Rovim

19 minutes ago, Rovim said:

think about all the unreleased material that Robin probably wrote for Axl though. And I think Richard could turn out to be a nice surprise in the studio with Slash. They can potentially do the same thing that happened with Better, where Richard added a part that completed the song. I don't think he's incapable of composing memorable riffs or tunes and as a player he's just on another level compared to Dave imo. It's not like he wrote tons of shit for VR. (Get Out The Door and what else?)

Illegal eye,

but more so the little
Izzy-request nuances in his playing that complimented Slash’s playing. Which Slash has referenced .

Of the top of my Dave can be heard doing his thing in the left channel on Slither, Superhuman, Illegal  I Song, Headspace, Get out the door, Spectacle, Come on, Come in, Pills demos etc, American Man, She Mine, & She Builds quick machines 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

6 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Illegal eye,

but more so the little
Izzy-request nuances in his playing that complimented Slash’s playing. Which Slash has referenced .

Of the top of my Dave can be heard doing his thing in the left channel on Slither, Superhuman, Illegal  I Song, Headspace, Get out the door, Spectacle, Come on, Come in, Pills demos etc, American Man, She Mine, & She Builds quick machines 

I think Dave is a fine guitar player. But yeah... Illegal Eye and Get Out The Door. Not exactly the cream of the VR crop. As for what he played to compliment Slash's playing, really cool. Blends well while still being different. (and cool guitars)

but Richard can do his thing too. He just needs a chance to do so. He seems very excited to work with Slash and Slash seems to enjoy playing with him. I'm of the opinion that the two of them do share chemistry and some of the same influences as well so it could be an interesting recipe.

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Why is Matt wearing bowling shoes? Why is Scott on a ladder? What are Slash's hands doing? Why does Kushner look like a bouncer? Why does Duff look like Zoolander?

I have so many questions! :lol:

What are they doing in the basement? ;) Maybe you should ask Matt. Would be interesting to hear his response. :lol:

• Haha 1

On 31. 7. 2020 at 7:32 AM, Rovim said:

I think Slash just wanted VR to be successful. So he tried to get Izzy to do it (not very modern sounding) but with a proper lead singer. When that didn't happen, he hired Kushner with his more modern sound. Maybe so it won't sound really dated. (at least Izzy had Gn'R name credibility and reputation)

I also agree with @Blackstar about Gilby: I believe he would have been thrilled to be the rhythm player for VR. But you don't look cool if you say you didn't get the gig cause the band wasn't interested.

I also think Gilby would jump at the opportunity to be in VR. Isn't it interesting how Slash threw Axl under the bus in regards to Gilby's firing and it was always insinuated it was Axl and Axl alone who didn't think Gilby's got the chops yet nobody seems to want to do much with Gilby. 

Slash didn't include him in the second Snakepit incarnation, they didn't include him in the VR, he wasn't invited to participate in Slash's first solo record despite so many people involved, including the reclusive Izzy. I don't think he was ever considered to be in Loaded or The Conspirators.

I honestly don't think Axl was/is the only one not that impressed with Gilby. He was merely the only one saying it out loud.

Edited by Sisyphus

I listened to Gilby's Pawn Shop and Swag albums over the weekend and I gotta say, all that stuff isn't that great. Sounds a bit boring to me, so I can understand he is not that highly regarded as a writer/ band member. He's no Izzy for sure.

30 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I listened to Gilby's Pawn Shop and Swag albums over the weekend and I gotta say, all that stuff isn't that great. Sounds a bit boring to me, so I can understand he is not that highly regarded as a writer/ band member. He's no Izzy for sure.

Definitely. I only own Pawnshop Guitars and Dead Flowers is the highlight for me.

58 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

I also think Gilby would jump at the opportunity to be in VR. Isn't it interesting how Slash threw Axl under the bus in regards to Gilby's firing and it was always insinuated it was Axl and Axl alone who didn't think Gilby's got the chops yet nobody seems to want to do much with Gilby. 

Slash didn't include him in the second Snakepit incarnation, they didn't include him in the VR, he wasn't invited to participate in Slash's first solo record despite so many people involved, including the reclusive Izzy. I don't think he was ever considered to be in Loaded or The Conspirators.

I honestly don't think Axl was/is the only one not that impressed with Gilby. He was merely the only one saying it out loud.

I think Slash really liked Gilby until 1995 - even though, as he admitted, in one of his discussions with Axl over Gilby's status he "sort of got along" with Axl's opinion because he was pissed off after a rehearsal.

But then, after he was out, Gilby sued GnR and it was over using his name and likeness in the pinball machine, which was all Slash's work, and that didn't sit well at all with Slash, so probably didn't want much to do with Gilby, at least professionally, after that. Also Gilby seemed to consider Slash equally responsible as Axl for being listed as an "additional musician" on Live Era.

Edited by Blackstar

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think Slash really liked Gilby until 1995 - even though, as he admitted, in one of his discussions with Axl over Gilby's status he "sort of got along" with Axl's opinion because he was pissed off after a rehearsal.

But then, after he was out, Gilby sued GnR and it was over using his name and likeness in the pinball machine, which was all Slash's work, and that didn't sit well at all with Slash, so probably didn't want much to do with Gilby, at least professionally, after that. Also Gilby seemed to consider Slash equally responsible as Axl for being listed as an "additional musician" on Live Era.

That probably played a big part in why he was shunned. You'd still think the resentment between Slash and Gilby would dissipate over time like it did with Izzy and Steven. Slash appeared to really dislike Izzy after he left yet he invited him to work on The Project and his first solo record. He also hated Adler's guts, didn't want anything to do with him for years but still played on his Back From The Dead. But never Gilby.

Do we know how Gilby ended up being a part of HoF induction?

The whole "additional musician" was so weird. Has anyone ever adressed it outside the two that were left out (Gilby and Matt)?

Edited by Sisyphus

9 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

That probably played a big part in why he was shunned. You'd still think the resentment between Slash and Gilby would dissipate over time like it did with Izzy and Steven. Slash appeared to really dislike Izzy after he left yet he invited him to work on The Project and his first solo record. He also hated Adler's guts, didn't want anything to do with him for years but still played on his Back From The Dead. But never Gilby.

I guess Steven's case is different, because he and Slash were childhood friends so probably there is a bond there (similarly to Axl and Izzy) and affection on Slash's part, although there have been problems in their relationship through all the years, and Steven has occasionally complained about how Slash treated him etc.; for example, around 2000 Slash was saying he was in good terms with everyone except Axl, including Steven, and then Steven came out and said that it wasn't true and Slash didn't let him go up on stage at a Snakepit gig. There were also issues with Steven's book (the story behind it is interesting in itself - its release took more than Chinese Democracy :lol:) and stories that Steven originally intended to put in there.

About the Project, they said Izzy showed up to the rehearsals. At that time Duff was the one who was in touch with Izzy the most, so maybe he told him they were jamming and invited him to join, and Izzy turned up for it (and then left).

Do we know how Gilby ended up being a part of HoF induction?

I don't remember anything specific about how Gilby ended up performing at the HOF. It's not that he and Slash weren't in talking terms or hadn't jammed occasionally, so maybe when Slash decided to perform at the last minute, he invited Gilby. Or maybe the discussion Gilby mentioned recently (he said that he had told Slash he thought it was unfair he wasn't inducted) happened before the induction ceremony, so Slash invited him to at least perform.

The whole "additional musician" was so weird. Has anyone ever adressed it outside the two that were left out (Gilby and Matt)?

No one else has talked about it as far as I know.